fishing locks - did i miss a memo ?

quentyn

I have just seen that you need to apply for a permit to fish locks on the thames ? 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/697176/Lock-and-weir-fishing-permit-application-form.pdf

Is this a recent thing ? i havent fished on the thames locks or weirs in years but i dont recall ever having to have anything other than an EA license (assuming you werent in a club controlled section)  ?

Q

so it must be a new thing ? i havent fished the thames in 5+ yrs but I used to just turn up with my EA license and lure fish as I walked 

Now you seem to need a separate permit at £30 per year .... UNLESS this may be instead of an EA permit ? ie a cheaper permit just to fish the weirs ? it doesnt say you must have a regular rod license ? 

Anyone know ? 

Edited by quentyn

Quentyn, I suggest you read through the form you linked to, it clearly says in addition to an EA Licence. It also lists the sites you may use the permit to fish at.

Have a read of this, updated in 2017;

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/lock-and-weir-fishing-on-the-river-thames

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Further Information added.

7 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Quentyn, I suggest you read through the form you linked to, it clearly says in addition to an EA Licence. It also lists the sites you may use the permit to fish at.

hello, i had a Thames lock permit for years trying to catch the big wild brown trout that lurk in them mostly in the upper Thames, never did get one :rolleyes: but you can fish from april 1st, oh i know these big browns do get caught as i see a photo of an 8llb beauty in the keepers hut on one lock i use to fish, caught out of season so put back to enjoy its freedom, as a note i have caught a 4llb er on the river Windrush fly fishing, you do get the occasional salmon run and i have seen sea Trout jump the weir in Abingdon, its also good for pike fishing, well worth buying a ticket

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

9 hours ago, quentyn said:

so it must be a new thing ? i havent fished the thames in 5+ yrs but I used to just turn up with my EA license and lure fish as I walked 

Now you seem to need a separate permit at £30 per year .... UNLESS this may be instead of an EA permit ? ie a cheaper permit just to fish the weirs ? it doesnt say you must have a regular rod license ? 

Anyone know ? 

hello, the lock permit would not include a EA rod licence, its seperate a bought online or local PO 

9 hours ago, quentyn said:

I have just seen that you need to apply for a permit to fish locks on the thames ? 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/697176/Lock-and-weir-fishing-permit-application-form.pdf

Is this a recent thing ? i havent fished on the thames locks or weirs in years but i dont recall ever having to have anything other than an EA license (assuming you werent in a club controlled section)  ?

Q

if you get one where are you thinking to fish?, i have fished from Letchlade to Henley

13 hours ago, quentyn said:

Q

No, been in place for a long time. Teddington is ok, as it's on the tidal, so comes under the Port of London Authority.

18 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

it was fairly late when i skimmed the doc so sorry for that

but i think the confusion i had was that i used to fish the tidal for zander and pike around teddington hence i never had one of these ( and never saw a sign asking me to get one) 

These lock and weir permits have been around for decades. They give access to specifically marked areas on the weir structure which are otherwise out of bounds.

They are very particular about the use of studded soled footwear. There is a map of the permitted sites linked from one of the links posted above.

There is no extra permit needed if you wished to fish a weirpool from a boat (other than the license for the boat itself plus rod license).

11 hours ago, John_R said:

These lock and weir permits have been around for decades. They give access to specifically marked areas on the weir structure which are otherwise out of bounds.

They are very particular about the use of studded soled footwear. There is a map of the permitted sites linked from one of the links posted above.

There is no extra permit needed if you wished to fish a weirpool from a boat (other than the license for the boat itself plus rod license).

This.

On 20/11/2018 at 21:57, John_R said:

The moral of the story is: go out and by a kayak :D It's the only way to fish