Charging a business for not cancelling

Doc Holliday

Just wondered if there is any recourse to charge a business for not cancelling a pre-booked appointment in good time?

The background - I booked my van in for a service a couple of weeks back to be done today. Arrived punctually at 0900 as asked only to be told it's nit happening. 

The reason - the technician who was booked to do it lefr on Saturday and took all his tools with him and the one on duty didn't have the tools to do it.

Now,  I'm a fairly easy going bloke in general but if they knew on Saturday that the person booked in to do work was leaving thrn why the hell couldn't they have called me at any point until close of business yesterday ti let me know rather than let me turn up and then tell me?

It would have allowed me to bring work forward and it wouldn't have been an issue for me apart from a small ball ache in getting it booked in elsewhere. As I am not able to do that now I have lost a day's inxome and intend to send them an invoice for it. To my mind, it is no dufferent to a business having a cancellation fee for when clients don't show or cancel at the last moment.

I sypathise with your problem and a similar thing happened to me some time ago. My vehicle was booked in for two new wheels to be fitted under warranty.
I booked in and was asked to wait and help myself to coffee. About 25 minutes later, I was informed, sorry but the wheels have not been delivered.
This was a main VW dealer. I wasted a days holiday plus the expense of getting to the dealer and after telling them what I thought, sorry was their only comment.

My only redress was to sue them in court which would have ended in nothing but lining some useless Solictor's pocket.
Its called a total lack of customer service and 'I don't really care, we have plenty of other customers'.

I would let them re book you in for another date .get the work done then .when your presented with the bill .present them with your own bill for loss of earnings .and settle the difference .

Dont make a song and dance about it now as they will just send you away and u get nil .

On your invoice set out clearly your position and how you charge for loss of earnings Due to incompetence 

1 hour ago, Doc Holliday said:

Just wondered if there is any recourse to charge a business for not cancelling a pre-booked appointment in good time?

The background - I booked my van in for a service a couple of weeks back to be done today. Arrived punctually at 0900 as asked only to be told it's nit happening. 

The reason - the technician who was booked to do it lefr on Saturday and took all his tools with him and the one on duty didn't have the tools to do it.

Now,  I'm a fairly easy going bloke in general but if they knew on Saturday that the person booked in to do work was leaving thrn why the hell couldn't they have called me at any point until close of business yesterday ti let me know rather than let me turn up and then tell me?

It would have allowed me to bring work forward and it wouldn't have been an issue for me apart from a small ball ache in getting it booked in elsewhere. As I am not able to do that now I have lost a day's inxome and intend to send them an invoice for it. To my mind, it is no dufferent to a business having a cancellation fee for when clients don't show or cancel at the last moment.

think ultrastu is bang on, you should of been contacted before hand to let your know so it could of been re booked in for a different date, so why should you be out of pocket wen they couldn't be bothered letting you know