Holts - June 2018. Bore measurements

GBS

2 hours ago, GBS said:

bore and wall measurement information for the June 2018 sale? In particular, lot 1301?

Gun No: 1 - Right barrel:  .735in     Wall thickness: 18 thou

Left barrel:    .732in.     Wall        "           19+ thou

Gun No: 2 - Right barrel: .729in      Wall       "            28 thou

Left barrel:   .729in.     Wall       "            29 thou

No 2 Gun with small dent to under-rib

1 hour ago, dougall said:

plus 1 barrel has a dent?..

The dent is described as to the under-rib.

have to laugh.........a few years ago i was after a particular boxlock...it was a beauty.....i wont go into details about it...but it started at a well known gunmaker..who bought it as a job lot ...warned me about it..then sold it on as a job lot....it re-appeared 3 times ...finally at Tilneys in Beccles.....it was a loverly gun.....but i had been warned about it...............

funny how certain peices do the rounds until someone has it....:lol:

16 hours ago, JJsDad said:

Gun No: 1 - Right barrel:  .735in     Wall thickness: 18 thou

Left barrel:    .732in.     Wall        "           19+ thou

Gun No: 2 - Right barrel: .729in      Wall       "            28 thou

Left barrel:   .729in.     Wall       "            29 thou

No 2 Gun with small dent to under-rib

The dent is described as to the under-rib.

Thank you but these are from a different lot in the September Auction. I am after June.

Similar guns though.

GBS

Edited by GBS

9 minutes ago, GBS said:

these are from a different lot in the September Auction. I am after June.

Apologies. My error. Two pairs of Beesley`s in different sales with same lot number, but different guns. I would give Holts a ring, they just may be able to send you the figures from their records.

28 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

Apologies. My error. Two pairs of Beesley`s in different sales with same lot number, but different guns. I would give Holts a ring, they just may be able to send you the figures from their records.

No worries, thank you.

I've tried contacting them.

GBS

17 hours ago, ditchman said:

have to laugh.........a few years ago i was after a particular boxlock...it was a beauty.....i wont go into details about it...but it started at a well known gunmaker..who bought it as a job lot ...warned me about it..then sold it on as a job lot....it re-appeared 3 times ...finally at Tilneys in Beccles.....it was a loverly gun.....but i had been warned about it...............

funny how certain peices do the rounds until someone has it....

Right enough. This gun has three values. The first is what you're prepared to pay for it and then write off any resale value. The second is can you get it for a price which you figure will enable you to make a profit after having the pair sleeved. And finally, of course, that the "S" in  "GBS" is Stebbing.

Edited by wymberley
Wrong right

5 hours ago, wymberley said:

Right enough. This gun has three values. The first is what you're prepared to pay for it and then write off any resale value. The second is can you get it for a price which you figure will enable you to make a profit after having the pair sleeved. And finally, of course, that the "S" in  "GBS" is Stebbing.

I was considering the first. The second iwas a fleeting thought but it is very difficult to retain the balance and handling which then defeats the point or buying this type of gun*. Sadly i am not Stebbing and i'd be jolly cross at Grandpa for selling the Beesleys if i was!

* Does anyone have any experience of having a really good sleeving job done? The sort of job where it isn't patently obvious that the gun has been sleeved the moment you pick it up?

GBS

11 minutes ago, GBS said:

Does anyone have any experience of having a really good sleeving job done? The sort of job where it isn't patently obvious that the gun has been sleeved the moment you pick it up?

Short answer is no ......... but I think there are a couple of things to remember when having a gun sleeved  (I have had one done, many years ago).

Firstly - the donor gun will usually need sleeving due to thin walls and pitting/denting.  Typically, they will have lost quite a lot of metal from their 'as new' weight, and so, as the gun has been fine bored/lapped to remove pitting/marks, it's balance will have altered.  Barrels could potentially have 20 thou increase in diameter (.719 to reproof at .729, then out of proof at .738)  Near the muzzle, the walls may be say 20 thou (each 'side' of the tube), so they will have lost 1/3 of their mass.  Although there are other bits (ribs etc) to take into account, it is certain that the balance will have altered significantly from new as the barrels have lightened

When the gun is fitted with it's new tubes, these will be 'struck down' to give a good finish and balance, but it is highly skilled and time consuming work, so when sleeving (which usually has a limited budget -- as if budget was unlimited, new barrels would be fitted), the striking down will not receive as much attention as it might.

Given the budget, there is no reason why sleeving can't end up with a good balance, but you would need to find someone who understands your requirements and agree a price and level of specification.  This may make the job uneconomic.

When I had mine done I didn't know as much as I do now ........ and with hindsight would have spent a little more then.  It is a little muzzle heavy.

Have a 12 gauge BSA box lock sleeved back in the 50s by a reputable Birmingham 'smith. I shot the gun before and honestly could not tell the difference when it came back. I still have that gun and the bluing has now almost gove and you can see the sleeving mark but couldn't when done.

Edited by Walker570

If I say that my favourite foxing rifle is a falling block Ruger No 1 22 Hornet and for the OU shotgun, a Chapuis, you'll appreciate that I tend to buy what I like and to hell with any resale on the grounds that  'a little  of what you fancy does you good'. Consequently, I'd buy it if the price was right for a write off and then - assuming you're not in Kenya - nip up to Amersham and have a word about the sleevig.