Fans of Forged in Fire

Danger-Mouse

16 hours ago, la bala said:

The judges in Forged in Fire certainly put the finished weapons through some punishing testing. There are some talented Smiths on there. I enjoy watching it.

Makes me cringe what they do to some of the blades. One of my go to programs, there is certainly a lot of skill out there.  

As a former full-time Custom Knife Maker and BladeSports competitor (Cutting Competitions) I've looked at a couple of these and then switched channels.

90% of what's said is testicles .. 95% of what's done is the same. Cutting technique of the 'Judges' varies from dire to downright dangerous and as for "it will keeeelll", well, so will a pencil, sharpened or not. Having seen one or two of the abominations they've come up with in the past and called 'finished knives' I wouldn't want to be in the same county if they were 'testing' any firearms they might have have made.

2 hours ago, Longstrider said:

As a former full-time Custom Knife Maker and BladeSports competitor (Cutting Competitions) I've looked at a couple of these and then switched channels.

90% of what's said is testicles .. 95% of what's done is the same. Cutting technique of the 'Judges' varies from dire to downright dangerous and as for "it will keeeelll", well, so will a pencil, sharpened or not. Having seen one or two of the abominations they've come up with in the past and called 'finished knives' I wouldn't want to be in the same county if they were 'testing' any firearms they might have have made.

Remember ,they only have 6 hours to hot forge a blade and put a handle on it and told what steel to make it out of . Some of the blades I have seen made in the time period have been very good . Could you have made a forged knife in the time limit .

harnser

1 hour ago, Harnser said:

Remember ,they only have 6 hours to hot forge a blade and put a handle on it and told what steel to make it out of . Some of the blades I have seen made in the time period have been very good . Could you have made a forged knife in the time limit .

harnser

Did one in 8 hours that I then won a cutting competition with against a number of other cutters some with bigger, beefier blades than mine.

Yes, I’d love to see a British smith go on and win but won’t be holding my breath. I had no idea the contestants were so amateurish - probably could win myself.

Just seen the second episode of master of arms. I’d hoped the naff music that plagued the first one would go but no, I could only barely hear the dialog.

Forged in Fire is a cookery programme for blokes, Produced by the same company that make the dire Chopped cookery programme.

Most of the contestants are pretty much skint earning minimum money making cutlery,

I make the odd knife or two and have to say I am no expert but some of the abortions they turn out on there is unbelievable, I can hammer a bar out flat, forge a point on it and put an edge on it and call it done, where is the tempering done? you see them quench the blades. I know tempering takes a while and would not make interesting watching but surely they should make reference to it. Would an untempered blade survive some of their ridiculous tests such as being thrust through a car door? Or chopping through cow bones? Not many factory made knives would survive some of their tests. And I like the line "your blade has suffered a catastrophic strength failure please surrender whats left of your weapon.? Not surprised it suffered a failure Why not use it to dig out the pointing on a wall? Chop down a 300 year old oak tree?  Leaver out 6" hilti nails from your skirting boards?

Its a bit rubbish if I'm honest.

I've caught some of the F.I.F series, though not the one where they make firearms yet. I usually get the end of the program in the early evening just after I get home, American Pickers is straight after it. I love a good blade and as many of you guys have said, the weapons do get seriously tested. A good blokes show with some centuries old skills.

where is the tempering done? you see them quench the blades. I know tempering takes a while and would not make interesting watching but surely they should make reference to it. Would an untempered blade survive some of their ridiculous tests such as being thrust through a car door? Or chopping through cow bones?

Exactly, don't think I've seen any tempering, like I said previously the candidates credentials are some what exaggerated IMO.

One recently was trying to drill the pins holes through the tang of the blade he had just hardened & couldn't understand why the drill wouldn't cut..:rolleyes:

On 21/11/2018 at 19:40, SpringDon said:

Yes, I’d love to see a British smith go on and win but won’t be holding my breath. I had no idea the contestants were so amateurish - probably could win myself.

Just seen the second episode of master of arms. I’d hoped the naff music that plagued the first one would go but no, I could only barely hear the dialog.

Typical US show, dialogue always swamped with garbage music and noise.

On 24/11/2018 at 12:15, Bazooka Joe said:

Exactly, don't think I've seen any tempering, like I said previously the candidates credentials are some what exaggerated IMO.

One recently was trying to drill the pins holes through the tang of the blade he had just hardened & couldn't understand why the drill wouldn't cut..:rolleyes:

Excactly...............i have yet to see something tempered...........

and as for "eet wiiilll keeeil".........makes me chuck up