Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Danger-Mouse

Fans of Forged in Fire

Recommended Posts

The judges in Forged in Fire certainly put the finished weapons through some punishing testing. There are some talented Smiths on there. I enjoy watching it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Theres a young lad called Alec Steel who started out on Youtube but now has a show on History. He's pretty good too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, la bala said:

The judges in Forged in Fire certainly put the finished weapons through some punishing testing. There are some talented Smiths on there. I enjoy watching it.

Makes me cringe what they do to some of the blades. One of my go to programs, there is certainly a lot of skill out there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a former full-time Custom Knife Maker and BladeSports competitor (Cutting Competitions) I've looked at a couple of these and then switched channels.

90% of what's said is testicles .. 95% of what's done is the same. Cutting technique of the 'Judges' varies from dire to downright dangerous and as for "it will keeeelll", well, so will a pencil, sharpened or not. Having seen one or two of the abominations they've come up with in the past and called 'finished knives' I wouldn't want to be in the same county if they were 'testing' any firearms they might have have made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At times I serious doubt the claims of experience of some of the contestants.. .ie: 20-30yrs.

Basic metalwork skills are lacking, which most are 1st year metalwork standards. 

Yet, most of the time there's some real quality items made. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Longstrider said:

As a former full-time Custom Knife Maker and BladeSports competitor (Cutting Competitions) I've looked at a couple of these and then switched channels.

90% of what's said is testicles .. 95% of what's done is the same. Cutting technique of the 'Judges' varies from dire to downright dangerous and as for "it will keeeelll", well, so will a pencil, sharpened or not. Having seen one or two of the abominations they've come up with in the past and called 'finished knives' I wouldn't want to be in the same county if they were 'testing' any firearms they might have have made.

Remember ,they only have 6 hours to hot forge a blade and put a handle on it and told what steel to make it out of . Some of the blades I have seen made in the time period have been very good . Could you have made a forged knife in the time limit .

harnser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harnser said:

Remember ,they only have 6 hours to hot forge a blade and put a handle on it and told what steel to make it out of . Some of the blades I have seen made in the time period have been very good . Could you have made a forged knife in the time limit .

harnser

Did one in 8 hours that I then won a cutting competition with against a number of other cutters some with bigger, beefier blades than mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Longstrider said:

Did one in 8 hours that I then won a cutting competition with against a number of other cutters some with bigger, beefier blades than mine.

Well sir why not go on there and show them how it’s done always good watching 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I’d love to see a British smith go on and win but won’t be holding my breath. I had no idea the contestants were so amateurish - probably could win myself.

 

Just seen the second episode of master of arms. I’d hoped the naff music that plagued the first one would go but no, I could only barely hear the dialog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forged in Fire is a cookery programme for blokes, Produced by the same company that make the dire Chopped cookery programme.

Most of the contestants are pretty much skint earning minimum money making cutlery,

I make the odd knife or two and have to say I am no expert but some of the abortions they turn out on there is unbelievable, I can hammer a bar out flat, forge a point on it and put an edge on it and call it done, where is the tempering done? you see them quench the blades. I know tempering takes a while and would not make interesting watching but surely they should make reference to it. Would an untempered blade survive some of their ridiculous tests such as being thrust through a car door? Or chopping through cow bones? Not many factory made knives would survive some of their tests. And I like the line "your blade has suffered a catastrophic strength failure please surrender whats left of your weapon.? Not surprised it suffered a failure Why not use it to dig out the pointing on a wall? Chop down a 300 year old oak tree?  Leaver out 6" hilti nails from your skirting boards?

Its a bit rubbish if I'm honest.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've caught some of the F.I.F series, though not the one where they make firearms yet. I usually get the end of the program in the early evening just after I get home, American Pickers is straight after it. I love a good blade and as many of you guys have said, the weapons do get seriously tested. A good blokes show with some centuries old skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

where is the tempering done? you see them quench the blades. I know tempering takes a while and would not make interesting watching but surely they should make reference to it. Would an untempered blade survive some of their ridiculous tests such as being thrust through a car door? Or chopping through cow bones?

Exactly, don't think I've seen any tempering, like I said previously the candidates credentials are some what exaggerated IMO.

One recently was trying to drill the pins holes through the tang of the blade he had just hardened & couldn't understand why the drill wouldn't cut..:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/11/2018 at 19:40, SpringDon said:

Yes, I’d love to see a British smith go on and win but won’t be holding my breath. I had no idea the contestants were so amateurish - probably could win myself.

 

Just seen the second episode of master of arms. I’d hoped the naff music that plagued the first one would go but no, I could only barely hear the dialog.

Typical US show, dialogue always swamped with garbage music and noise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/11/2018 at 12:15, Bazooka Joe said:

Exactly, don't think I've seen any tempering, like I said previously the candidates credentials are some what exaggerated IMO.

One recently was trying to drill the pins holes through the tang of the blade he had just hardened & couldn't understand why the drill wouldn't cut..:rolleyes:

Excactly...............i have yet to see something tempered...........

 

and as for "eet wiiilll keeeil".........makes me chuck up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...