Canadian Geese Problem

GalleywoodHec

Morning all,

A friend of mine has a big problem with these on a private fishing lake, in a nut shell, can they be controlled or are they protected in this country and is sub 12lb silenced PCP an effective means or would you be looking at a shotgun ? My friend has access to either method if it's allowed and shots would be taken at no more than 25 yards hence me asking about a PCP, thanks.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, GalleywoodHec said:

Morning all,

A friend of mine has a big problem with these on a private fishing lake, in a nut shell, can they be controlled or are they protected in this country and is sub 12lb silenced PCP an effective means or would you be looking at a shotgun ? My friend has access to either method if it's allowed and shots would be taken at no more than 25 yards hence me asking about a PCP, thanks.

Shotgun and steel shot.

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Airguns generally shoot lead pellets .

And you cant use lead to kill waterfoul 

And lead free pellets dont have the terminal capability .

The lead issue only refers to a firearm that has a smooth bore, you can use a rifle to shoot Canada geese.

43 minutes ago, zipdog said:

correct, well said

We have enough rules to abide by without making up some of our own

Armchair lawyers!

Shotgun and lead free shot is the noisy way. 2 shots and they're all gone.

A sub 12 is quieter and at that kind of range will drop a canada goose quite easily. A lot of people will moan and say it's not ethical but a headshot at that range is a dead goose.

8 minutes ago, timmytree said:

Armchair lawyers!

Shotgun and lead free shot is the noisy way. 2 shots and they're all gone.

A sub 12 is quieter and at that kind of range will drop a canada goose quite easily. A lot of people will moan and say it's not ethical but a headshot at that range is a dead goose.

Im sure its possible, but is it legal ?

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Pity we can't get solid copper 17HMR ..like TTSX ... perfect.   Used to sort canadas many moons ago with a 22RF moderated and best was eight before they spooked, all head shot.

However steel it must be to stay legal.

I agree with that one. Used to do the same with Pinks, they rarely came back either  !

10 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Airguns generally shoot lead pellets .

And you cant use lead to kill waterfoul 

And lead free pellets dont have the terminal capability .

That is simply incorrect.

You cannot use lead shot shotgun cartridges, but you can use lead bullets.

I personally wouldn’t use a sub 12 air rifle. They are tough birds.

I use rimfire and have it conditioned for Avian and All Lawfully Quarry.

Just now, Fisheruk said:

That is simply incorrect.

You cannot use lead shot shotgun cartridges, but you can use lead bullets.

I personally wouldn’t use a sub 12 air rifle. They are tough birds.

I use rimfire and have it conditioned for Avian and All Lawfully Quarry.

So i made three points 

The first is correct .

The second ? Well im not gonna shoot a goose with a lead projectile period .shot .bullet or pellet. You only need an over zealous  judge to make an example of you .you can carry on tho .

The third is correct .

So to say "thats simply not correct "  is incorrect. 

10 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

So i made three points 

The first is correct .

The second ? Well im not gonna shoot a goose with a lead projectile period .shot .bullet or pellet. You only need an over zealous  judge to make an example of you .you can carry on tho .

The third is correct .

So to say "thats simply not correct "  is incorrect. 

Without making and issue with you, I can’t see a risk of prosecution if the FAC condition permits it.

Regarding the third point I would certainly not use a sub 12 air rifle on any Canada, lead or non lead. It is just not man enough, IMHO.

Just to clear this point up, Canada geese are classed as a pest (not vermin) they are on the GL and you are allowed under the conditions of this licence to shoot Canada geese with a rifle using lead bullets and a FAC that is conditioned for such (any other lawful quarry)

I only know this as I was in a similar situation some time ago when asked to clear some Canada geese from a golf course, I spent a fair amount of time phoning BASC, Natural England and the police, BASC added that so long as I comply with the GL and my FAC is conditioned for “any other lawful quarry” I would not be breaking any laws.

I would add that an air rifle is more than capable of killing Canada geese (head shot) at 20-25 yards but I personally would not use a sub 12lb air rifle for the job, minimum .22lr and head shot and pick the right time of day.

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Just to clear this point up, Canada geese are classed as a pest (not vermin) they are on the GL and you are allowed under the conditions of this licence to shoot Canada geese with a rifle using lead bullets and a FAC that is conditioned for such (any other lawful quarry)

I only know this as I was in a similar situation some time ago when asked to clear some Canada geese from a golf course, I spent a fair amount of time phoning BASC, Natural England and the police, BASC added that so long as I comply with the GL and my FAC is conditioned for “any other lawful quarry” I would not be breaking any laws.

I would add that an air rifle is more than capable of killing Canada geese (head shot) at 20-25 yards but I personally would not use a sub 12lb air rifle for the job, minimum .22lr and head shot and pick the right time of day.

Spot on, on all accounts. Listen to the above