Canadian Geese Problem

GalleywoodHec

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Because you cannot use lead filled shotgun cartridges for wildfowl so why risk giving the anti's an own goal and if 25 yds is achievable it would be a neat solution.

I am well aware of the law and shotgun cartridges containing lead shot and wildfowl but when you said “head shot” at 25 yards I presumed you meant rifle pellets.

53 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Because they have no lead in them!

Its my understanding that a single projectile can be made of anything - including lead.

BTW, my ticket lists my air and 3 rimfires for ground game and vermin. My only CF, a 17REM, is conditioned for any other lawful quarry. 

Lead free airgun pellets .are usually pretty rubbish as far as accuracy is concerened (not always though .i have found one accurate pellet ) but its there internal /external and terminal performance that just isnt up to the job of hunting in my opinion  .They generally come out of the gun at lower energy than a lead pellet. Have terrible ballistic coefficients. And if the wind doesn't blow em about  they hit with little energy and then to top it off ,dont transmit that energy into the quarry.

They really have nothing going for lead free pellets. 

Edited by Ultrastu

11 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Lead free airgun pellets .are usually pretty rubbish as far as accuracy is concerened (not always though .i have found one accurate pellet ) but its there internal /external and terminal performance that just isnt up to the job of hunting in my opinion  .They generally come out of the gun at lower energy than a lead pellet. Have terrible ballistic coefficients. And if the wind doesn't blow em about  they hit with little energy and then to top it off ,dont transmit that energy into the quarry.

They really have nothing going for lead free pellets. 

Oh I quite agree, but a 16g .22" zinc pellet shout be able to dispatch a goose with a head shot at 25 yds.

From a fac .22 at about 25 fpe .maybe .

The issue with the 16 grns in .22 is that to be that weight it would have to be a soild slug design which wouldnt deform much if at all on impact .

I personally dont have any faith in lead free pellets to perform .especially when there are cheaper and better options.

Fyi .the accurate pellet was a h+n .177 barracuda green at 6.5 grn (i think ) 

It made about 10.5 fpe from a usual 11.5 fpe pcp .and accuracy at 30 yds was about 20mm compared to a 10 mm lead version .

The issue came with retained energy .There was very little. The pellet would bounce off a steel plate at that range almost completely un scathed. .

You could shoot them twice or more .

18 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

We are not, you may be!

When I asked you about using lead rifle pellets your reply was… “Because you cannot use lead filled shotgun cartridges for wildfowl so why risk giving the anti's an own goal and if 25 yds is achievable it would be a neat solution.”

Legally as I understand it is 

.Firearms and air rifle (fac or not) - lead is legal (firearms holders have to have vermin/lawful quarry/avian). Forget zinc they are **** from a air rifle. And as stu says, you really need fac rated air, been there and made the mistake. 2 shots ain't pretty. 

You can use any bullet you like from a rifled barrel. . 22rf with mod, great. If you haven't a dog and it's on water (with a safe backstop) take a spinning rod with a rapala on. Hook it up, drag it out. I carried a travel telescopic version. 

Shotgun - obvious, no lead allowed. Use steel or bismuth but steel is a lot cheaper. Go for the biggest size you can afford. 

Use your head, don't let it suffer, and crack on. Fairly good eating too. 

25 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I have no problem if you wish to use lead air rifle pellets to shoot geese at 25 yds, I suggested using zinc as it is what I use through my air rifles.

Ultrastu and I then discussed the matter.

Which tin pellets do you use ? 

And how do you find them for accuracy etc .

• 3 weeks later...

I have been shooting Canada Geese for many years.    12ft lb is simply not the tool for Canada, my 26 ft lb is not good either, I have historically shot many through the head to find they writhe about for ages, not happy, the target for a clean kill is tiny!

.22lr needs to be accurately placed and HMR I only use for headshots, WMR works wherever you put it, even through those tuff old wing feathers.

Don't use the Shotgun often as most I shoot are on the ground and the rifle works best for me, very rarely find the need for centrefire.

Just in case you missed it....12ft lb is simply not the tool for Canada.

Edited by Dekers

• 3 weeks later...

You know what, I stopped posting on here a long time back because people telling other people what they think is law or they wouldn't do this that and the other because of the antis.

Your sport, know the laws and stop pussy footing around and putting ideas in others heads, shooters and antis alike.

Go get your air rifle, load it with what every you like and atlas joint shoot them.  If others don't want to and fanny around with thier interpretation of the law then that's their problem but I do so wish they would understand the law correctly as this forum is so full of shooters that are clueless and dangerous. If you don't know the law then shut up and let the ones that have taken the time to read and understand the law and GL to pass on the correct knowledge and not some missing interpretation of what a mate said down the pub. 

As a shooter and gun owners it is up to each and everyone of us to read and understand the GL and firearms law, else your opening up yourselves for a whole lot of hurt.

Happy new year all, catch you in probably another year

7 minutes ago, activeviii said:

You know what, I stopped posting on here a long time back because people telling other people what they think is law or they wouldn't do this that and the other because of the antis.

Your sport, know the laws and stop pussy footing around and putting ideas in others heads, shooters and antis alike.

Go get your air rifle, load it with what every you like and atlas joint shoot them.  If others don't want to and fanny around with thier interpretation of the law then that's their problem but I do so wish they would understand the law correctly as this forum is so full of shooters that are clueless and dangerous. If you don't know the law then shut up and let the ones that have taken the time to read and understand the law and GL to pass on the correct knowledge and not some missing interpretation of what a mate said down the pub. 

As a shooter and gun owners it is up to each and everyone of us to read and understand the GL and firearms law, else your opening up yourselves for a whole lot of hurt.

Happy new year all, catch you in probably another year

I for one have missed your posts. Please don’t leave it another year.

You are correct in what you say, learn the GL and Firearms licensing laws and all should be in order. Many just don’t bother which is why there are so many diverse opinions.

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 18:15, old'un said:

So I will ask again, why not use lead air rifle pellets? and don’t tell me you cannot use a rifle for shooting Canada geese.

12ft lb air rifles are simply not up to the job in my opinion, even 25-30 ft lb FAC air struggles, the margin for error in the shot is virtually non existent.

There is no specific issue in using lead pellets.

Edited by Dekers

1 hour ago, Dekers said:

12ft lb air rifles are simply not up to the job in my opinion, even 25-30 ft lb FAC air struggles, the margin for error in the shot is virtually non existent.

There is no specific issue in using lead pellets.

^^^^^ this and hmr certainly only for head shots.