GalleywoodHec

Canadian Geese Problem

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Because they have no lead in them!

That’s obvious….but why not use lead pellets?

25 minutes ago, old'un said:

That’s obvious….but why not use lead pellets?

Because you cannot use lead filled shotgun cartridges for wildfowl so why risk giving the anti's an own goal and if 25 yds is achievable it would be a neat solution.

9 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Because you cannot use lead filled shotgun cartridges for wildfowl so why risk giving the anti's an own goal and if 25 yds is achievable it would be a neat solution.

I am well aware of the law and shotgun cartridges containing lead shot and wildfowl but when you said “head shot” at 25 yards I presumed you meant rifle pellets.

53 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Because they have no lead in them!

Its my understanding that a single projectile can be made of anything - including lead.

BTW, my ticket lists my air and 3 rimfires for ground game and vermin. My only CF, a 17REM, is conditioned for any other lawful quarry. 

Lead free airgun pellets .are usually pretty rubbish as far as accuracy is concerened (not always though .i have found one accurate pellet ) but its there internal /external and terminal performance that just isnt up to the job of hunting in my opinion  .They generally come out of the gun at lower energy than a lead pellet. Have terrible ballistic coefficients. And if the wind doesn't blow em about  they hit with little energy and then to top it off ,dont transmit that energy into the quarry.

They really have nothing going for lead free pellets. 

Edited by Ultrastu

11 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Lead free airgun pellets .are usually pretty rubbish as far as accuracy is concerened (not always though .i have found one accurate pellet ) but its there internal /external and terminal performance that just isnt up to the job of hunting in my opinion  .They generally come out of the gun at lower energy than a lead pellet. Have terrible ballistic coefficients. And if the wind doesn't blow em about  they hit with little energy and then to top it off ,dont transmit that energy into the quarry.

They really have nothing going for lead free pellets. 

Oh I quite agree, but a 16g .22" zinc pellet shout be able to dispatch a goose with a head shot at 25 yds.

From a fac .22 at about 25 fpe .maybe .

The issue with the 16 grns in .22 is that to be that weight it would have to be a soild slug design which wouldnt deform much if at all on impact .

I personally dont have any faith in lead free pellets to perform .especially when there are cheaper and better options.

Fyi .the accurate pellet was a h+n .177 barracuda green at 6.5 grn (i think ) 

It made about 10.5 fpe from a usual 11.5 fpe pcp .and accuracy at 30 yds was about 20mm compared to a 10 mm lead version .

The issue came with retained energy .There was very little. The pellet would bounce off a steel plate at that range almost completely un scathed. .

You could shoot them twice or more .

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Don’t know why we are even talking about zinc in a shotgun :no: Just use steel, if we are talking rifle, then lead.

We are not, you may be!

18 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

We are not, you may be!

When I asked you about using lead rifle pellets your reply was… “Because you cannot use lead filled shotgun cartridges for wildfowl so why risk giving the anti's an own goal and if 25 yds is achievable it would be a neat solution.”

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And if you look closely we were talking about 16g .22" zinc pellets.

fired from???

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

A .22" air rifle.

So I will ask again, why not use lead air rifle pellets? and don’t tell me you cannot use a rifle for shooting Canada geese.

I have no problem if you wish to use lead air rifle pellets to shoot geese at 25 yds, I suggested using zinc as it is what I use through my air rifles.

Ultrastu and I then discussed the matter.

Legally as I understand it is 

.Firearms and air rifle (fac or not) - lead is legal (firearms holders have to have vermin/lawful quarry/avian). Forget zinc they are **** from a air rifle. And as stu says, you really need fac rated air, been there and made the mistake. 2 shots ain't pretty. 

You can use any bullet you like from a rifled barrel. . 22rf with mod, great. If you haven't a dog and it's on water (with a safe backstop) take a spinning rod with a rapala on. Hook it up, drag it out. I carried a travel telescopic version. 

Shotgun - obvious, no lead allowed. Use steel or bismuth but steel is a lot cheaper. Go for the biggest size you can afford. 

Use your head, don't let it suffer, and crack on. Fairly good eating too. 

25 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I have no problem if you wish to use lead air rifle pellets to shoot geese at 25 yds, I suggested using zinc as it is what I use through my air rifles.

Ultrastu and I then discussed the matter.

Which tin pellets do you use ? 

And how do you find them for accuracy etc .

I have been shooting Canada Geese for many years.    12ft lb is simply not the tool for Canada, my 26 ft lb is not good either, I have historically shot many through the head to find they writhe about for ages, not happy, the target for a clean kill is tiny!

.22lr needs to be accurately placed and HMR I only use for headshots, WMR works wherever you put it, even through those tuff old wing feathers.

Don't use the Shotgun often as most I shoot are on the ground and the rifle works best for me, very rarely find the need for centrefire.

Just in case you missed it....12ft lb is simply not the tool for Canada.

Edited by Dekers