Canadian Geese Problem

GalleywoodHec

The OP said it was on a fishing lake so it’s a good idea not to use lead so it can’t be injested  by waterfowl.

I wouldn’t shoot them with an air rifle either but a head shot would do it. No doubt there’d be lots of flapping but there is when you chop their heads off too.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

The OP said it was on a fishing lake so it’s a good idea not to use lead so it can’t be injested  by waterfowl.

I wouldn’t shoot them with an air rifle either but a head shot would do it. No doubt there’d be lots of flapping but there is when you chop their heads off too.

I shoot a lot of Canada Geese and this is "my opinion"!

A 12ft lb isn't going to go through their head very often and it isn't going to go through any other part of their body either, so, unless you miss altogether and the pellet falls in the lake that is a very slim chance.  Always best to shoot on land anyway, much easier retrieval than water so no real issue there.

A head shot with a 12ft lb would seldom stop them on the spot, they will end up flapping around and the blood spatter with them thrashing with a headwound is awesome, looks like a major fight scene, so it is hardly ethical to use such a low power. 

Not a good idea to go out to injure them, then hope you can get to them quickly and behead them!

Edited by Dekers

1 hour ago, Dekers said:

I shoot a lot of Canada Geese and this is "my opinion"!

A 12ft lb isn't going to go through their head very often and it isn't going to go through any other part of their body either, so, unless you miss altogether and the pellet falls in the lake that is a very slim chance.  Always best to shoot on land anyway, much easier retrieval than water so no real issue there.

A head shot with a 12ft lb would seldom stop them on the spot, they will end up flapping around and the blood spatter with them thrashing with a headwound is awesome, looks like a major fight scene, so it is hardly ethical to use such a low power. 

Not a good idea to go out to injure them, then hope you can get to them quickly and behead them!

And it wouldn't do a shooter any good if the wrong person happened across any unnecessary suffering - especially now so many people like to take videos wi their mobile phone to share all over facebook these days.

Shoot them in the atlas joint and they do not flap. Shoot them in the head and the body still gets the signals from the dieing brain. Shot more than my fair share with all sorts of rifles. Sometimes location dictates a small calibre. Favours and best for the way I need to deal with them is a 22lr subsonic. But the airgun has had to be used on occasions.  222 and 223 also used but to much flapping about and spoke the rest, I need to thin them as quick as possible and not have to have multiple visits back.