Ammo Search

Hi

New to this site but long time shooter.  I'm so old that I can say I used to have (legally): a .44 Mag revolver, .357 Mag revolver, .38 revolver, a .308 rifle, a 9.3x74R O/U rifle (still on my FAC) and I currently have: a 7mm Rem Mag. and an 11 shot 12 bore 3" mag semi-auto shotgun - not so much a shotgun more a piece of antiaircraft ordnance!  As well as a few other guns (an 1880s WR Pape Pigeon hammer gun, a Beretta O/U)

I have joined the site to pick a few brains.

I am trying - and failing miserably to find 3" Mag 12 bore shells loaded with birdshot, 5/6/7 - all I can get is BB which is not much good for rats or pigeons!

If anyone knows of a source for such shells I will be forever grateful.

Rhino

32 minutes ago, 666Rhino said:

I am trying - and failing miserably to find 3" Mag 12 bore shells loaded with birdshot, 5/6/7 - all I can get is BB which is not much good for rats or pigeons!

You will struggle to find them in these shot sizes because there is little or no need for them. Why waste money on a 3in. cartridge to shoot rats or pigeon when a normal game cartridge will do the job.

20 hours ago, old'un said:

Blimey, 12 bore 3 inch magnum, how big are these rats?

If they're are that big then you'll need BB's anyway

20 hours ago, JJsDad said:

You will struggle to find them in these shot sizes because there is little or no need for them. Why waste money on a 3in. cartridge to shoot rats or pigeon when a normal game cartridge will do the job.

I have a Winchester Super X cartridge at home which is 3" magnum in a 6 shot. Can't think who would buy them but guess someone did

11 minutes ago, ditchman said:

dont spoil it............this is serious stuff............we might be in that position one day..... driven shew shooting with 50cal.............

Well if you remember, John Lewis Ltd used to have the byline, "Never knowingly undersold!"

And here we have the shooting equivalent, "Never knowingly under-gunned!"

Out in the gun-room there is a large metal ammo box with a selection of Fiochi magnums and Winchester Westerns, Super Speeds and similar monstrous shells.

I think the heaviest is 52 grammes and the largest shot size is SG, they were bought over the years for that extra special long shot!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Addition of extra information.

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

was he also aka fisherman mike ?

if i come back a 2nd or 3rd time i will call myself Osmo Hardwax...that name is just too good to waste on a product

Yes that was another of his nom de plumes.

Osmo Hardwax is as good as Max Headroom.

And now, over to a shed in Norfolk for this weeks edition of mashing metal with Osmo Hardwax!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Spellage!

Apologies for the apparent silence but I'm not getting any notifications of replies.  I had assumed there had been none.

Thanks for some interesting responses - some surprisingly useful and some surprisingly ignorant.

Some friends of mine have farms which occasionally have rat problems.  A 3" mag shell loaded with bird shot and using a True Cyl choke will put out a huge amount of lead and provide a devastating spread taking in several of the vermin (and possibly terrier or two as well)!  I also thought it might be amusing to use said shells on clays - expensive sure but it could be fun.  The cash is not my main concern, if it were I'd buy some traps.

I bought the gun to cover everything - from clays, to game, to rats pouring out of a hayrick that was being moved to solid slug for wild boar.  I don't have to use 3" mag shells loaded with birdshot  on rats but its probably more (cost) effective than using my solid slug ammo!

12 semi (2).jpg

ou-rifle.jpg

cased beretta.jpg

9.3mm.jpg