You couldn’t make this up

Harnser

Mrs harnser  bought a new steam iron from Tesco last week . When she got it home and took it out of the box she noticed that the lead was very short ,it was less than 6 feet . She decided to phone the maker and ask if this was normal or was this a mistake in manufacture . The reply from the maker and I quote ,”lots of people live in small houses or flats and don’t want a long lead on their steam iron “ it was duly returned to Tesco and got her money back . What a load of old tosh . Try using an iron with a 6 lead .

harnser

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is, when these new appliances stop working a month out of guarantee and are unable to be fixed then thrown out the short lead means it's less waste going into landfill. Two kettles recently returned because of the metallic taste to the water. The retailers didn't like it but the forums are full of people just throwing them out and buying another. Suits the manufacturers.

53 minutes ago, Harnser said:

Mrs harnser  bought a new steam iron from Tesco last week . When she got it home and took it out of the box she noticed that the lead was very short ,it was less than 6 feet . She decided to phone the maker and ask if this was normal or was this a mistake in manufacture . The reply from the maker and I quote ,”lots of people live in small houses or flats and don’t want a long lead on their steam iron “ it was duly returned to Tesco and got her money back . What a load of old tosh . Try using an iron with a 6 lead .

harnser

Lots of people live in big houses and want a long lead, so why aren't they catered for? 

The world's gone mad. Mad I tell you.

1 hour ago, Harnser said:

harnser

First you should have  bought the iron for her Xmas present.

second ironing boards have plug sockets on them now a days so you just plug your iron in underneath the board.

7 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I live in a really long house with a socket at one end and my ironing board at the other. 6 ft would never reach .what am i to do ? 

I think the only solution is to heat the iron at the plug, unplug, run down the end of the house, iron a few items, run back, plug it in, re-heat and then repeat. 

Only sensible solution.

9 minutes ago, B725 said:

What's an iron? 

You use them for playing golf.

4 minutes ago, The gouse said:

First you should have  bought the iron for her Xmas present.

that would have been a winner 🥇

and I've measured the wifes iron cable, had to, its 2mt but she also uses another magic cable that makes the plug socket nearer 😅😅 

13 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

I think the only solution is to heat the iron at the plug, unplug, run down the end of the house, iron a few items, run back, plug it in, re-heat and then repeat. 

Only sensible solution.

That sounds unsafe. Get your wife to throw it and catch it with an oven glove.

50 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I live in a really long house with a socket at one end and my ironing board at the other. 6 ft would never reach .what am i to do ? 

get a elecrickle engineer to dig the socket out of the wall and extend it closer to where you need it....:good:

2 hours ago, Harnser said:

harnser

To quantify your wife's disappointment exactly how long should the lead have been?

50 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

The real point is that wherever you live, you will almost certainly need an extension cable, whereas a longer lead would remove this need.

That might be a nice little Business going round with a spanky sign written Van filled with longer leads and canvasing the Larger houses offering upgrades to the household lectricals.

7 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

To quantify your wife's disappointment exactly how long should the lead have been?

8 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

After experimenting Mrs harnser and I have come to the decision that an iron lead should be at least 10 feet long . This would allow plenty of slack between the ironing board and the plug socket . She needs the extra slack to be able to watch the soaps whilst ironing .

harnser

1 minute ago, Harnser said:

After experimenting Mrs harnser and I have come to the decision that an iron lead should be at least 10 feet long . This would allow plenty of slack between the ironing board and the plug socket . She needs the extra slack to be able to watch the soaps whilst ironing .

harnser

Ok now we're getting somewhere.

10ft was the Golden length so to speak so which Steam Iron did you end up purchasing with that length lead just so anyone reading this needing some extra length knows which one to go for...:yahoo: