You couldn’t make this up

Harnser

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Snoozer said:

Ok now we're getting somewhere.

10ft was the Golden length so to speak so which Steam Iron did you end up purchasing with that length lead just so anyone reading this needing some extra length knows which one to go for...:yahoo:

We are still looking ,we haven’t found a maker that makes steam irons suitable for larger homes .

harnser

2 hours ago, amateur said:

I thought that you heated your irons on the stove in Norfolk

We did , although when we moved it took to long to warm up on the gas fire .

We are not the brightest sparks but when we bought one of these new steam irons with a fairly short lead , my wife had the bright idea of attaching a three meter extension lead as part of her ironing set up , this enable her to do the ironing in any room she want to and even in the garden on a nice summers day , this save me time and expense in fitting a new socket and seem like a easy solution , all sorted and I can carry on shooting without worrying about the ironing 😊

2 hours ago, Harnser said:

The actual statement from the makers that people who live in small houses don’t want a long lead on their irons galled me . I wonder how much research they carried out on this product .

harnser

Think you have a case for discreminanation for people who live in big houses.

the reason irons have a 6ft lead is...when the woman is unchained from the bed or sink or oven.....if given her head she will run amoke...and cause allsorts of upset....so a 6ft lead is plenty to keep them safely in the corner of a room..............

now ...as men are not all beasts...that is why we have allowed the introduction of a long lead on a vacumn appliance.....as it gives the female the feeling of ....say ...a short holiday and a little bit of freedom....just to keep her happy...........

.....................:w00t:

14 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

In the olden days, they used tu plug iron into the light fitting. You could even buy BC two-way adaptors in nice brown Bakelite.

At least you could iron in the centre of the room without the risk of tripping over those dangerous trip hazard extension leads.

Yeah, but you had to iron in the dark :lol:

20 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Yeah, but you had to iron in the dark 

No, no  ....... The sophisticated version was a 2 into 1 adapter that you plugged the iron into one socket and the light-bulb into the other.

Heaven only knows how that played with fabric or rubber covered wiring.

On 21/11/2018 at 15:31, Harnser said:

Mrs harnser  bought a new steam iron from Tesco last week . When she got it home and took it out of the box she noticed that the lead was very short ,it was less than 6 feet. Try using an iron with a 6 lead .

harnser

How many Domestic appliances or Household electrical goods have a lead that is notably longer than 6 foot, not many I'll bet.

Think about this, there are sockets conveniently placed all over the house for TVs, fridges, kettles and all sorts of other things so is she trying to use the iron in a place the design of the electrical layout did not take into account (therefore the designers fault) or should she be using an extension lead as he's been suggested.

If you can come back to us with an iron that has a lead notably longer than 6 feet perhaps you could also tell us how many irons you checked before finding one that does because that will add balance to the argument.

On 21/11/2018 at 15:31, Harnser said:

Mrs harnser  bought a new steam iron from Tesco last week . When she got it home and took it out of the box she noticed that the lead was very short ,it was less than 6 feet . She decided to phone the maker and ask if this was normal or was this a mistake in manufacture . The reply from the maker and I quote ,”lots of people live in small houses or flats and don’t want a long lead on their steam iron “ it was duly returned to Tesco and got her money back . What a load of old tosh . Try using an iron with a 6 lead .

harnser

Perhaps you failed to read the small print on the box which read ‘This iron should only be used by the gentleman of the household’.

All is not lost . Mrs harnser has ordered a Bosch td 19080gb pro hygienic lron From John Lewis . Guess what ,it is suitable for the larger house as it has 3M lead . She is over joyed . Incidently there are many irons out there with leads much longer than the 6 foot on the one she originally bought .

harnser

I work for one of the biggest if not the biggest white goods companies in the world & fine this on some of our products that the leads are getting shorter. Pain in the backside when trying to plug something in, in someones kitchen . Think it's a cost saving thing myself.