PCP Compressor

Local lad

• 1 month later...

To everyone asking about getting parts. ALIEXPRESS.COM Do a full range of parts from gaskets. O rings. to Pistons. All very cheap. I am thinking of getting one. I have two Cylinders that are both out of date now. And need Hydraulic testing and filling so there will be no change out of £100 thats half the price of a 300 bar Compressor. Theres loads of vids on YOU TUBE on rebuilding and using them. Has someone as already said keeping then cool is the best like using ice water to keep it cool.

I fail to see the advantage really - from a financial or practical angle. My cylinder costs me a fiver to fill, say, 3 times a year - each top up then takes about 30 seconds unless I'm still slightly pickled from the night before. Averages out then at about £110 per 5 years ,if you use a compressor to fill your tank then you will still need to have the tank tested by law so you will be paying the same costs as me so , in fact, my Air comes in at about £75 per 5 years - How much is the compressor? Plus I don't have to face the wrath of her indoors walking thru the house with a bucket of water each time I want to top up. 

Depends on the individual circumstances. If you can get yours filled for a fiver, on your doorstep, then thats great for you. Most dive centres round here have now closed, or stopped doing air. My nearest is a 45 minute drive. The fill cost is £15. If I want to wait for it, I have to book in. Im looking at writing off 3 hours and the hassle for a fill. Three times a year, £45, £30 in fuel, test every 5 years £50. So my 5 year cost works out at  £305 or £61pa. I now don't need a main cylinder. The compressors are  £250 upwards, mine will have paid for itself before the bottle needs a retest. From then on, its free for me, £61pa better off at current costs and no hassle!

If someone wants to charge their main cylinder and avoid testing, then that's at their own risk. The PCP reservoir/buddy bottle is subjected to the same filling procedure, and although not as highly pressurised as the fill cylinder, (300 bar?) is still pumped to 190-230 bar. How many people have theirs tested? Do you have yours tested?  It takes me less than 5 mins to set it up and put it away. Its perfectly ok to use it in the house, I just pop mine on the kitchen worktop. It only takes moments  to top the air rifle back up, 4 mins was the longest from an empty 500cc bottle to 230 bar. Even if I decide to have my cylinder retested, that's still a saving of £51pa. I can then top up the cylinder with the compressor and use as normal, handy if I don't have 5 mins to spare!

Each to their own, but for me, I can now pump off as many shots as I want without being conservative with my air, and don't have that sinking feeling, when I go to top up and there isn't enough air. Its also immensely satisfying to be independent and a bit of fun to do. As I mentioned in my previous post, if a couple of pals got together to buy one, the cost are halved again.

Edited by turbo33

Nobody has their Guns cylinder tested because it is not a legal requirement - unless, of course , it is more than 500?c.c. Same logic as your suggestion applies to a few buddies teaming up and buying, say, a 12ltr 300bar bottle- the cost per fill is reduced. Whilst I can obviously see some advantages of a stand alone compressor, I still think that many people carry a tank, even if it's a smaller unit, with them in the car so you would need both. 

22 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Nobody has their Guns cylinder tested because it is not a legal requirement - unless, of course , it is more than 500?c.c. Same logic as your suggestion applies to a few buddies teaming up and buying, say, a 12ltr 300bar bottle- the cost per fill is reduced. Whilst I can obviously see some advantages of a stand alone compressor, I still think that many people carry a tank, even if it's a smaller unit, with them in the car so you would need both. 

No one will come knocking on your door to see if your cylinder is in test, it’s a safety issue. Same applies to a cylinder containing upwards of 3000psi less than a 12 inches from your face. It’s recommended to change buddy bottles and other pcp reseviours every ten years. The cost isn't much more than a test would be so testing is impractical. That’s why they are date stamped. Personal risk. 

Yes of course mates could share a bottle. The cost per fill isn’t reduced as the air has to be paid for and they are all using it. Drain it faster,  one using more than the others, it being too low on air when another wants to fill his, I filled it last time, it’s your turn etc. 

Oldun, I’m sure you could use an inverter. Personally, I only took a bottle a few times,  then realised I didn’t need to top up whilst I was out.  

Edited by turbo33

On 17/02/2019 at 15:57, old'un said:

I am not an electrician so I don’t know the answer, but would it be possible to run this compressor on the cars 12v, I presume you would need some sort of inverter?

Mine is rated at 220v 10amps. I’m sure someone in here would have the knowledge. 

2 hours ago, defender said:

or some kind of conversion to run the pump from a small engine