50 cal update

David BASC

Government pulls .50 calibre ban for further consultation

BASC and other shooting organisations have welcomed amendments tabled by the government to the Offensive Weapons Bill which remove the proposed ban on 50 calibre rifles.

The government has said that it will consult further on the issues around the use of high muzzle energy rifles.

The Home Office decision follows discussions with Sir Geoffrey Clifton Brown MP, the chairman of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Shooting and Conservation and Jonathan Djanogly MP, the chairman of the British Shooting Sports Council (BSSC).

Seventy-four Conservative and DUP MPs had signed an amendment to remove the prohibition on .50 cals and instead place clauses into the Bill which would ensure those who own the guns implement tighter security.

Shooting organisations including BASC,  NRA UK and the .50 Calibre Association worked together to brief MPs on the issues. The organisations clarified confusion among government advisors between .50 calibre single-shot target rifles and belt-fed heavy machine guns.

BASC has advised the Home Office and lobbied ministers on the issue, given evidence to the Bill committee and rallied members in support of Sir Geoffrey’s amendment.

Sir Geoffrey Clifton-Brown MP said: “I welcome the government’s decision. It is essential that legislation should be proportionate, based on the facts and consulted on with stakeholders. The Home Secretary is right to announce further consultations and has my full support for securing an evidence-based result on this and other firearms issues.”

Christopher Graffius, BASC’s executive director of communications and public affairs, said: “I would like to thank the MPs as well as members of shooting associations who took the time to contact their MPs and supported our work in parliament on this issue. We look forward to a constructive consultation and a sensible result.”

Chris Stevenson, chairman of the .50 Calibre Association said: “This is a fantastic decision by the Home Office for all who shoot in the UK irrespective of calibre. We have further work to do and are more than happy to work with the Home Office in developing good law for our sport.”

Good news Something to thank the DUP for, we are still shooting handguns here because Northern Ireland politicians opposed the handgun ban extending to N/I. 

Sajid Javid has quietly abandoned plans to ban high-powered military-grade rifles after dozens of hard Brexit Conservatives and the DUP came together to voice opposition to the Home Office plan.

Great news that they're safe for now! :good:

The debate had been going on for quite a while though. If some MPs still thought at the end of the process that there were licensed .50Cal machine guns kicking about, they're either spectacularly stupid or wilfully  ignorant. I think it's not unreasonable to expect people who's job it is to vote on policies to do some research; especially when BASC etc gave them accessible information. These muppets get paid huge amounts of money. Whether they like something or not, they should take the time to understand before making decisions. 

14 hours ago, ordnance said:

Good news Something to thank the DUP for, we are still shooting handguns here because Northern Ireland politicians opposed the handgun ban extending to N/I. 

True.

15 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Crazy suggestion anyway. The aim was to stop a criminal eliment getting one .... do they seriously think they will put their hands up and say "Please Mister can I have a 50 cal".

They are just going to go out on a saturday night and buy or rent one like they do handguns now.

I read this .
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7816506/sajid-javid-backlash-rifles/

And was quite surprised to read that of all the licensed .50 cal rifles in England and Wales , all 129 of them, the main argument for their legal ownership of them, is that the police have no defence against them !
So they are good for all other calibres I presume ?😂
What a pathetic argument, and a revealing look at how certain minds in government work.
If anyone was in any doubt that the proposed ban was anything but an encroaching move on private firearms ownership in general, they shouldnt be now.

8 hours ago, Rewulf said:

True.

I read this .
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7816506/sajid-javid-backlash-rifles/

And was quite surprised to read that of all the licensed .50 cal rifles in England and Wales , all 129 of them, the main argument for their legal ownership of them, is that the police have no defence against them !
So they are good for all other calibres I presume ?😂
What a pathetic argument, and a revealing look at how certain minds in government work.
If anyone was in any doubt that the proposed ban was anything but an encroaching move on private firearms ownership in general, they shouldnt be now.

:good:

55 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

if the  guns have never been involed in crime why ban them.

Because 1/2 of the narrow minded people in politics have absolutely no idea what goes on outside of their perfect little world. So when they hear about a rifle capable of  of blowing a car apart from the other side of the country they obviously need to BAN it. 

Its all true because they have seen it on telly.

Very few politicians have any life skills or knowledge out side of their private school education.