Cambridgeshire SGC

Percy78

Hello,

has anyone on here applied for their shotgun licence in Cambridgeshire? I’m just looking to see how long it’s taken as I’m now past the 12 weeks quoted at me by the firearms Department. I’ve contacted them to be told they are busy and it will be dealt with in due course. I’m happy to wait as I know it’s not an instant process but it would be good to see if anyone local has been through it recently.

thanks!

Not Cambridgeshire, but I'm in the Hampshire area and I've been waiting about 23 weeks now (website says 16 weeks I think). Same thing here though - I've emailed only to be told that they're busy basically. Not much you can do but wait I guess.

Oh yeah, I totally agree. I've just tried to forget about it and focus on other hobbies away from shooting. It's just frustrating that they have the power to prevent you from enjoying a sport you enjoy or in some cases a livelihood. Personally I only applied so I can shoot clays without having to pay a small fortune for lessons every time, but I can only imagine what it must be like for farmers etc who need a gun for their livelihood. Going from what I've seen both on this forum and on the wider internet though, Hampshire is one of the slowest forces in country so I'm fully expecting to be waiting the best part of a year...if not longer. I hope you don't have to wait this long for yours - good luck :) 

It's always worth politely chasing progress.

I've just had a variation to my FAC with Cambridgeshire. Their stated time for this is six weeks. At four weeks I had a phone call from the firearms officer and he concluded that he was completely happy to approve my request and would pass it through for processing the following day. Two weeks later (now six weeks from day 1) I fired off an email chasing my revised certificate. 

Three days later it was on my doormat! Might be a coincidence !

Have you had any contact by phone yet? The reason I ask is because, once you have the mobile number of your assigned firearms officer, it gives you the chance to keep tabs more directly.

It is certainly a bad idea to pester them if they are still within stated waiting times but after that I think, as public officials they become more accountable for delays. Nothing wrong with enquiring so long as you remain polite. Incidentally, they might well call you initially from 01480 421690, this is an official number that does not accept incoming calls. However, if you don't answer the incoming call, the officer will probably leave a message with his mobile contact number - you will then have your point of contact. 

Hope you get some feedback soon - I know how frustrating it is to wait endlessly but these things take time, increasingly so whilst the police force remains woefully underfunded!

1 hour ago, Percy78 said:

Thanks for the reply Okrang....

I have enquired about progress but I’ve just got the standard ‘we’re very busy’ reply. I’ll chase again in a couple of weeks as I think you’re right that it can’t hurt.

If they state that they are very busy, which I believe they are, constantly calling them to enquire will really endear yourself to them, allow them to work through their backlog and be patient.

Thanks for the reply Tightchoke.

I definitely won’t be pestering them but they are now over the 12 weeks stated online. The email I sent last week was my first one and I made sure it was after the 12 week period.

As you say though if they are busy there’s not a lot I can do about it. Just gonna be patient and go with it!

• 1 year later...

I got my SGC in Hertfordshire start if Feb. Hearts, Cambs and Beds are all a single team now days. I was pretty much bang on 12 weeks by the time the cert dropped on the door mat. They did say they were very busy whenever I spoke to them throughout the process, I think the fact my missus was also applying helped as it meant 2 for 1 closed off from a single visit plus our shooting coach also coached the FEO for our area.

12 hours ago, Petay said:

I got my SGC in Hertfordshire start if Feb. Hearts, Cambs and Beds are all a single team now days. I was pretty much bang on 12 weeks by the time the cert dropped on the door mat. They did say they were very busy whenever I spoke to them throughout the process, I think the fact my missus was also applying helped as it meant 2 for 1 closed off from a single visit plus our shooting coach also coached the FEO for our area.

Thanks for the info, how long was it before they contacted you after you'd applied?

23 hours ago, Flyshank said:

Thanks for the info, how long was it before they contacted you after you'd applied?

Think it was around 9 weeks for the FEO but I spoke to the office via email a few times before that to sort out payment so helped me get some updates.

5 hours ago, Petay said:

Think it was around 9 weeks for the FEO but I spoke to the office via email a few times before that to sort out payment so helped me get some updates.

Cool hopefully I’ll hear something in a couple of weeks. I made the payment in January. Hopefully this Coronavirus isn’t slowing things down too much. 

• 3 months later...

Has anyone heard about Cambs getting back to normal. I’ve been going clay shooting with one of my friends and really want to get my SGC so I can go on my own as well. I applied in January and am hoping to get it in time for the game season as well.