Shore session this afternoon and evening

henry d

Not been out shore fishing properly for a long time, but needs must as there are no fish in the freezer except for sandeels, launce and mackerel, all bait. I usually kayak fish but due to strong winds of all directions I`ve not been able to get out so the beachcaster has been dusted off as there has been an easterly blowing all week and last night it went all quiet so hopefully there will be a few cod about!

So the rigs are made up, the bait has been prepped, and later I`ll be offski to see whats about.

Just now, henry d said:

Not been out shore fishing properly for a long time, but needs must as there are no fish in the freezer except for sandeels, launce and mackerel, all bait. I usually kayak fish but due to strong winds of all directions I`ve not been able to get out so the beachcaster has been dusted off as there has been an easterly blowing all week and last night it went all quiet so hopefully there will be a few cod about!

So the rigs are made up, the bait has been prepped, and later I`ll be offski to see whats about.

hello, you will need the thermals on henry 👍,  let us know how you get on ?? cheers

Well it didn`t live up to expectations, but was enjoyable anyway.

I got there about 90 minutes before dark and was surprised there was only one guy where I wanted to fish and two in the secondary position on the main beach. I soon had my squid and sandeel cocktail attached to my sakuma manta 6/0 pennel and hurled it into the surf.

I spoke to the other guy who said there was nothing yesterday except for the beach being 4 foot high in foam!
WP_20181122_14_48_42_ProR.jpg.37f1338c781360efb10c71fc31d86aad.jpg

As the tide retreated I could see that the pebbles had been replaced by sand during the week. First couple of casts were ok but no bites just lots of line tweaks from the rollers. As dark hit the other guy went off to get some food and two brave souls went out onto the rocks at the foot of the headland and the bites started, unfortunately they were little rattles and not the intended cod. Strangely the bites were only when the cocktail included clams, not any of the others.

I had heard on the grapevine that fish are still few and far between, so I might give it another go next week as the general forecast is for more e`ly winds.

WP_20181122_15_43_52_ProR.jpg.c5f7167295e15c8e11dd84b0c8edafa2.jpg

Pity no fishy was biting Henry but it must have been great being out with the waves clattering and bashing about, it certainly looked brisk!

Have you had any bass from there and if so what sizes? I posted in a thread recently that a chap in Dumfries  had  shown me  a picture of a yellow fin tuna that had been caught in the nets in the Solway. Wouldn't it be fantastic getting one of them on yer hook.

I done a two mile swim a couple of months ago in loch Lomond in not to dissimilar conditions and though not tidal it were bloomin choppy :sick:

atb

7diaw

Yeah the surf noise combined wih the wind against the cliffs sounded like there was a jet with its engines running nearby! There are a few bass taken nearby, one of over 7lb was landed during a competition with most people targetting flats, but mainly schoolies. An ABF  was washed up in the Firth of Forth about 6ft long, so they are about but I`ve not seen sighs of them yet, but trolling a lure behind my kayak might get a nibble :D

Atlantic Bluefin Tuna

Summer was dreadful, lots of baitfish, small cod, small to medium pollack and one lost monster of the deep. Beast from the east knacked the kelp beds and sent a lot of sand over the low lying rock formations, so I have got a waterwolf coming from Santa to check out what is actually down there, no fresh this year unfortunately

12 hours ago, henry d said:

Yeah the surf noise combined wih the wind against the cliffs sounded like there was a jet with its engines running nearby! There are a few bass taken nearby, one of over 7lb was landed during a competition with most people targetting flats, but mainly schoolies. An ABF  was washed up in the Firth of Forth about 6ft long, so they are about but I`ve not seen sighs of them yet, but trolling a lure behind my kayak might get a nibble :D

Bloomin heck that is enormous!

I can see it now, like a scene from Jaws with all and sundry after the elusive ABF (Awfully big fishy) 😁

Anyroads, the bass sound like quality fish and a 7lb is a king. Caught a couple of small ones many years ago off a boat, they went straight back. I hope the fishing picks up for you this year.

atb

7diaw