Annual Booster

walshie

• 3 weeks later...

I have previously read that lots of people don’t bother with the yearly boosters. 

I did see a few people who didn’t even have the initial jabs. 

Mine had 3 different sets of jabs as a puppy and a kennel cough vaccine to boot, which we were glad we got in the end because we need to put him in kennels when going abroad and this is required. 

Not sure whether to have the yearly booster, although will have to find out if it is required by the kennel incase it is a must. 

You need to get jabs the first few years to build up resistance, then there is a blood test that can let you know if your dog has built up enough antibodies and no further jabs needed.

If you get the blood results and it shows your dog carries antibodies there are a few kennels that will take them in but not many.

It's also a no no with many insurance firms as many require dogs to be vaccinated. A few years ago my Springer injured both his eyes resulting in a rather expensive claim and one of the first things they asked was had he been vaccinated. I imagine if I had said no they wouldn't have paid up.

Edited by toontastic

9 hours ago, paul1966 said:

we had ours vaccinated when she was a pup, not bothered with boosters. she won't be going into kennels so don't see the need.

Until an emergency comes along and no kennel will take the dog. Working in a hospital atm and people's pet are one of the biggest issues when they come in.