More Than Usual?

Guerini Guy

Hi - firstly I have noticed that the Lapwings are starting to build up again in quite big numbers around my part of Essex. Huge numbers all over the perms last year, and looks set to do the same again.

Secondly, I was wondering if anyone else had noted a larger then usual build up of feral pigeons at the moment. In fact there are not many woodies about right now, as most of my perms have rape on the go and they just don't seem interested yet. Keep telling myself I could have a few bumper days to come though if we start to get some frosts and generally colder temperatures?

But there is a definite show of ferals on the go, and that is all over the perms. I'm lucky to have a few perms spread over approx 14 miles, so should get to some woodies soon. Meanwhile the ferals will also need to be sorted out as they are already landing in the rape.

The woodpigeons will turn their attention to the rape once the hedgerow berries, beechmast etc are all gone. This will happen regardless of weather but usually happens around Christmas time.

Feral pigeons can accumulate around farm building or any nearby sheds/industrial buildings and venture out to farmland during the day. They will generally mostly eat seed and not cause too much bother to winter rape in the leaf stage. Shooting them around buildings or even at roost with an air rifle is normally the most effective way of culling them.

Great to hear your Lapwings are thriving much as they are here. The best thing you can do for them is keep the vermin down and kill Carrion crows, magpies and foxes etc when ever the chance arises.

Lot more lapwings in mid Suffolk at the mo to! More golden plover with them as well. Great to see hear and watch. Seem to turn up in the same fields/areas about this time every year in various numbers. As they have done for many years. Not so many pigeons about or on the rape. They starting to build up in the cover crops tho. More English partridge about than have been for many years. So hopefully hitting the crows harder is paying off. Seems to be fewer little egrets about.  NB