Ejector problems Miroku MK 60 HP

Miroku MK 60 HP

I think it's RC's sizings as this year while loading I have had more RC cartridges not eject than any other brand. This is in Browning's, MK's, Berretta's and H&H (12g & 20g).

They give good performance but seem to burn hot and dirty with occasional ejection issues. 

But this is just my observations.

10 hours ago, Miroku MK 60 HP said:

For the last 3 years I have been using RC Sipe fibre 32 gram 5s and love the results but 1 in 4 won't fully eject. My gun (purchased new) has not had a lot of use and is always cleaned etc., after every shoot, especially the chambers. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Could it be the short brass type end cap? 

In my experience,short brass is usually a plus for clean ejection.

Always suspect the cartridge case first . It has been my long experience that manufacturing is not as consistent as it might be and that makers change components and materials.So if an ejector or extraction problem arose testing with different cases was first step if it was not a simple regulation or timing fault .

This can be checked by dry firering the gun on used cases and very slowly opening the gun to see if the ejection is early and the case hits the face .OR if the gun does not eject until it has been forced open to its maximum. 

Best to try the gun with another make of cartridge  before doing anything else .  

As a general comment  some guns for no reason any one can explain do not like certain cartridges  .

12 hours ago, Robertt said:

Gunman.

Is this not a O/U phenomenon? 

All my S x S ' s lob every make of fired cartridge insane distances.

Not in my always in my experience , especially with older British guns that had ejectors designed for roll turn over paper cases . Continental guns do tend to have stronger ejectors that can be a problem in being over strong .

That said most O/U's use coil springs that are on the whole weaker than a gun with V springs and kickers as in an boxlock or sidelock SxS  . As a result they can be more prone to not throwing cases clear . Add in that some gun are expected to throw a 3" case , from a basic design for a 2&3/4" chamber .Making the springs stronger  will make the guns harder to close and put additional strain on the extractors and tripping mechanism which in turn will cause more problems .

4 hours ago, Salopian said:

A major cause of ejection issues is cartridge plastic case quality .

With the ever increasing speed of cartridges , we never get something for nothing , consequently the plastic cases distort and swell just forward of the metal head .

Check for case distortion / case swelling.

Agree .

• 1 month later...

So I have tried the Hull Extreme 32 gram 5 fibre wad cartridges and have no more ejector problems. They are also very acceptable for recoil and the kills are very good. It can only be the length of the brass type cap, the jointing of the cap to the plastic case or the plastic case itself. Sorry to say, I will not be using RC Prestige cartridges for now. Incidentally, I did have two miss fires when I used a box of Game Bore Black Gold 32 gram fibre 5s has anyone else suffered the same problem? 

On 01/01/2019 at 16:32, Miroku MK 60 HP said:

Incidentally, I did have two miss fires when I used a box of Game Bore Black Gold 32 gram fibre 5s has anyone else suffered the same problem? 

Not tried that brand BUT .......... some guns are cartridge fussy, and some cartridges gun fussy !

Neither of my two (o/u sidelock)  Merkels will reliably fire Fiocchi TTI 21g - not in either barrel ........... but the same cartridges fire fine in my AyA, Berreta, and English guns.  The issue is suspected to be deep set primers combined with short firing pins.

All of my guns (inc. the Merkels) fire Hull Comp X 21g with 100% reliability. 

Last year my AyA gave approx 5% misfires with (a different batch) of Comp X 21g, but these were OK in the Merkels.  Suspicion (un-proven) was hard primers.  A friend has similar troubles with the same batch in his Beretta, though my Beretta (different model) seemed fine with the dodgy batch.

I've been lucky on ejectors ..........

Edited by JohnfromUK

Well to be honest i'm not convinced the quality is there any more in Browning/Miroku brand. Had a Miroku 7000 for 25+ years put tens of thousands of cartridges or more  through it, didn't miss a beat and the same for a Browning 425 20 Bore,15 years, faultless. Changed for two, 32" high pheasant models one 12 one 20 three years ago, both had firing pin issues and the fore end is loose on the 20 bore after less than 2000 rounds, probably less than that in the 20 bore.:cry1: Ps. Checked both and the bottom ejector is easier running than the top on both. Beginning to wish i hadn't change.