Medal experts .

The Heron

My sister and I are researching our grandfarthers history and we have come across his medals from the  first world war and would appreciate some help on what they mean he was in the Royal Horse Artillery he received as well as the general service medal   a silver one with a horse on it with a blue and orange riband on it, also a gold one with the words (The Great War For Civilisation 1914-19-19) not sure why it says 19-19 and a bronze coloured one shaped like a diamond with crossed swords on a crown with a red white and blue riband any help much appreciated.

The first world war did not end officially until 1919, the guns fell silent on 11/11/18 when the German army threw in the towel and started walking home but that was due to hunger as much as anything. We never really beat them on the battlefield it was more that their internal supply chain failed. This in part led to the Nazi assertion in the 1930s that they did not lose the war but were sabotaged by Jewish business men holding back food supplies to drive up prices on the black market.

The actual formal surrender was not signed until 28th June 1919

Edited by Vince Green

The returning veterans called the three medals; Pip, Squeak and Wilfred, named after a post war strip cartoon.

Most WWI soldier records were destroyed in WWII, those that survived were being processed/assessed for pension payments at another location. If you know his regimental number you may be able to trace some further information.

15 hours ago, Ricko said:

The returning veterans called the three medals; Pip, Squeak and Wilfred, named after a post war strip cartoon.

Most WWI soldier records were destroyed in WWII, those that survived were being processed/assessed for pension payments at another location. If you know his regimental number you may be able to trace some further information.

His number should be on the medals 

Edited by AULD YIN

My dad's the expert on medals however, you're describing a first world war trio - 1914-15 star, British war medal (blue and orange) and then victory medal. 

The star was issued to soldiers who were sent on operations between 1914-15. Soldiers deployed after 1915 were only given the pair - British War Medal and Victory Medal. 

As said, first war medals will have his serial number on it which will make research easier. 

If you need any help whatsoever, please contact me. My dad has been collecting medals since the age of 12 and does in depth research as his hobby... I've grown up finding out about soldiers stories... extremely fascinating and I'm positive if you get stuck my dad will gladly offer any help and research advice. 

All the best mate, 

David :good: