FAC air .22 or .25

Fenstu

Hi,

Am in the process of applying for my FAC and I need to put down which calibre I will be using, my preferred option in sub 12 is .177 but from what I have read this is not the best option in full power, so leaves .22 or .25 as not really much around about .20`s. which is the most popular option it will be mainly for shooting rabbits and pigeons.

i`m also erring towards the FX range but am open to other suggestions so long as PCP.

i appreciate there is a wealth of knowledge regarding all aspects but am only after the FAC Air.

Cheers

Simply put .

.25 for ground game only with good back stops.

.22 for ground and elevated but still be aware of your fall out with those heavy  .22 s .

.177 much better for elevated shots as the fall out risk is much reduced .

They all should have similar trajectories and all have enough energy for kills on target ..

177 fac uses less air so u can have a smaller gun than .22 or .25. 

Ps l like fx bullpups. And bsa pcps in fac. 

I have 

Facair .177 .22 and .25 and dont have a favourite. They all have thier uses and plus /minus points. 

U have to find what whats best for you. 

Cant make your mind up ? Get all 3 like me .

Edited by Ultrastu

177 not worth it, you are restricted by velocity more so, and the drop in velocity is far quicker. And as its not on your list not worth going any further.

25 Im not sure on pellet choice. 

22 been there, and would go again. More consistent than most 22lr rifles as far as accuracy goes, stick to around 35 ft/lb with 16 grain pellets. 

If a .177 is set at 900 fps (8.5 grns 16 fpe ) 

A .22 set at 28 fpe . (16 grns 900 fps ) 

A .25 set a 45 fpe (25 grns 900 fps ) 

They all have the same trajectory (bar mm s) out to the same ranges .the .25 shoyld have a higher bc .but it doesnt make a massive difference to trjectory between cals 

Put down for .22 and .25 . FX guns are the way to go specily the impact and crown three way to adjust them .

I have .25 impact running at 47 ft/lbs with 25.4 gr AA fields  and .22 crown running @ 31ft/lbs  ,both guns are fantastic .  With The crown  in 10 seconds I can have the scope and gun adjusted down to 12 ft/lbs and even lower if needed ,how many other guns can do that with !!

It all depends what you mostly shoot and at what range and of course your budget, a good .22 running at 30 ft lbs is mustard on everything from 15 to 60 yards or more and with practice and no wind a fair bit more, it can also be used for shooting into trees with a suitable background. 

People often cite the availability of more ammo types as another good reason for opting for the .22, I personally disagree because pretty much all knowledgeable FAC shooters end up choosing/sticking to one or two types of pellets anyway namely Exacts or AArms. 

But if your budget allows and you have the ability and inclination to explore air power further then look no further than a FX Impact in .25, these have power adjustment as standard and you can use pellets as light as 18g all the way to 34g so it's possible to make them behave similar to a regular .22 or have it turned up to 50 ft lbs or more and enjoy their superior down range performance, the other arena currently beginning to make huge strides is .25 slugs which are known to outperform ordinary diablo pellets

Good advice above .

The .22 pellet choices above is a good reason the go with .22 fac air. 

But dont discount the lighter pellets for fac use .

I use a jsb 13.4  grn pellet in my .22 running around 23 fpe and 870 fps .

It hits quarry hard up to 75 yds 

And is great for pigeon decoying on the ground or up trees etc .

Pesonally  ive never found the really  heavy pellets available  to be much use in airguns of any power. 

I reccomend you stick to the light to med weight offerings in all cals. 

3 hours ago, Hamster said:

It all depends what you mostly shoot and at what range and of course your budget, a good .22 running at 30 ft lbs is mustard on everything from 15 to 60 yards or more and with practice and no wind a fair bit more, it can also be used for shooting into trees with a suitable background. 

People often cite the availability of more ammo types as another good reason for opting for the .22, I personally disagree because pretty much all knowledgeable FAC shooters end up choosing/sticking to one or two types of pellets anyway namely Exacts or AArms. 

But if your budget allows and you have the ability and inclination to explore air power further then look no further than a FX Impact in .25, these have power adjustment as standard and you can use pellets as light as 18g all the way to 34g so it's possible to make them behave similar to a regular .22 or have it turned up to 50 ft lbs or more and enjoy their superior down range performance, the other arena currently beginning to make huge strides is .25 slugs which are known to outperform ordinary diablo pellets

Not just .25 slugs but .22 slugs hollow point  

A .25 fac on rats isnt going to be the best cal .

A rat is a small soft rodent. Which a heavy fast solid pellet will pass right through .imparting little energy and then potentially bounce about in a barn etc ..

Rats are usually taken at close range inside ..the ideal  pellet is a wad cutter from .177 fac .blasting along at 950 fps they litterally splat a rat hard and the pellet doesnt leave the rat or if it does its with very little energy .

The .25 fac is perfect for rabbits though as long as your back stops are good. As the pellet just goes right through it .

Edited by Ultrastu