das

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, toontastic said:

Ok then, explain to me how cruk only spend 50p per £10 on the actual cause. 

Nobody said that either !

By their own admission it's more like 80 % goes to the cause, which , for a charity isn't too bad.

https://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2015/09/24/80p-of-every-1-you-give-us-is-used-to-beat-cancer-why-the-suns-article-on-our-spending-is-plain-wrong/

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

Nobody said that either !

Yes they did, I stated that nobody would probably be bothered if they were told the CEO of cruk got paid 0.4p out of every £10 donated, Gordon R stated they would be bothered by only 50p per £10 being spent on the cause. Which as you have just proved is untrue

1 hour ago, shaun4860 said:

In your job do you just take what you need or do you take the whole wage?

Just asking

You’ll never believe me but yup . I leave the business to pay for new kit . 

My whole wage is very little but my lads always get paid . 60 -70 hours and not a penny extra either. ( me not the lads ;) ) 

Edited by team tractor

26 minutes ago, toontastic said:

Yes they did, I stated that nobody would probably be bothered if they were told the CEO of cruk got paid 0.4p out of every £10 donated, Gordon R stated they would be bothered by only 50p per £10 being spent on the cause. Which as you have just proved is untrue

Gordon can speak for himself, but I didn't take it to mean he was saying CRUK only spent half it's income on the cause.

Rather there are charities that do , and some even less than that.

Or are you saying that's not true ?

I used to have business dealings with the odd sizeable charity and had some insight into their governance and efficiency and some of it was truly shocking. In any other organisation the CEO on their big fat salary would have been gone. You don't necessarily get what you pay for.

A good friend of mine is CEO of a high profile charity. By his own admission what had gone on and what he was putting an end to was unbelievable.

I think the top paid charity CEO is at Motability, in excess of £1M pa and there are a few £billion sat there not being utilised. Definitely not getting what you pay for.

Some of them will be really well run.

Ok then, explain to me how cruk only spend 50p per £10 on the actual cause. 

I didn't mention cruk - you did. How much of the mega millions of the money raised by Band Aid - all those years ago - got through? Did it reach £1m? It didn't go to pay for re-arming the dictator did it? They didn't have a mega paid CEO to fork out for either. Cue some bright spark saying if they had have done, the money would have got through. Delusional, in my book.

As someone has already mentioned, it would be more transparent if charities published clearly (and at the point of donation) just how much is spent on the actual purpose of the charity

4 hours ago, toontastic said:

But it isn't as simple as that, if you tell someone donating £10 to cruk that 0.4 of a penny will go towards paying the person in charge do you honestly think they'll care. 

3 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I think they might care if you told them that for every £10 they donated - 50p went to the actual cause.

There you go Gordon R just to refresh your memory, I clearly mentioned people not caring if 0.4p out of every £10 donated to CRUK to which you replied they would care if they were told only 50p out of every £10 went to the actual cause. 

2 hours ago, Gordon R said:

it would be more transparent if charities published clearly (and at the point of donation) just how much is spent on the actual purpose of the charity

How could they possibly do that? 

Their wages and CEO pay is a fixed cost, what they bring in from donations changes every year.

16 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

It would change every year... same as real term figures ... 

Salaries are static ,but the amounts collected change. If they go up the CEOs often pay themselves a bonus, they quite often pay themselves a bonus anyway.

My idea was they publish how much of money collected goes to the cause, via percentage.

If you are proud of your charity's performance, then surely you want to let possible donors know ?

charities are big business and cash rich  four out of five charities I did work for in the past paid me with a coutts cheque back in the day you had to have a million £ in your acc  and not in assets to have an account with them     imagine the confusion at Lloyds counter tellers did not come across coutts checks very often and had to go find a manager etc   charities get big tax  breaks  business rates etc 

Edited by Saltings

7 hours ago, Saltings said:

charities are big business and cash rich  four out of five charities I did work for in the past paid me with a coutts cheque back in the day you had to have a million £ in your acc  and not in assets to have an account with them     imagine the confusion at Lloyds counter tellers did not come across coutts checks very often and had to go find a manager etc   charities get big tax  breaks  business rates etc 

Along with the pensions, they’re probaby one of the big investors. 

RNLI lost many millions when Iceland tanked on investments. 

It is wise for charities to hold significant reserve investments.  A charity such as RNLI, Cancer Research etc. have long term ongoing commitments; staff, assets (boats, research equipment, property) that are 'fixed', - and income that can fluctuate.  That needs a buffer.  As has been said - it is a business - of a particular type, but needs proper financial and staff, asset and property planning over the longer term to operate efficiently and reliably.

Those charities that are 'event driven' (such as various specific disaster and famine relief have a different set of problems and their income and outgoings may fluctuate dramatically.

We’re not talking about selling a few cakes for the local WI, these are and have to be, run as a business and like any business,there are commensurate salaries to be paid.

I challenge anyone on here that if offered these sort of sums of remuneration, that they would decline.....

4 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

We’re not talking about selling a few cakes for the local WI, these are and have to be, run as a business and like any business,there are commensurate salaries to be paid.

I challenge anyone on here that if offered these sort of sums of remuneration, that they would decline.....

Exactly! 

People seem to think because they've given up a day or weekend then charity staff should work for pittance. Its easy to point fingers when it's just a day here and there. Try doing it full time, you'd soon see its not realistic. 

22 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Its not a business , its a charity !
What do these people do besides 'make tough decisions' ? 

http://offlinehbpl.hbpl.co.uk/NewsAttachments/NST/Feat1PayStudy3.pdf

Nail on the head here> It's a charity not a business. My initial post on this referred to the obscene amounts a guy was receiving in pay from a concern whose mandate is to help people in
great need.
I worked for the English Springer Spaniel Rescue for several years on the homing team, My pay?  Only the reward of seeing my labours putting a rescue dog into a forever, loving home.