das

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, toontastic said:

Please answer this question someone earns 40,000, someone earns 200,000 which one deserves their salary most

Maybe both, maybe neither .

No one said ALL charity bosses don't deserve their salary, but when someone is getting  6 figures plus, they need to be bring some SERIOUS value to the table,  not just be a figurehead, or to be given it for some past favour.

There are quangos in government, and in business, the charity circuit is the worst.

You can argue all day long with the 'You don't know what they do for these salaries'

But neither do you .

Yet here you are defending them.

Edited by Rewulf

2 hours ago, toontastic said:

As I said previously 50,000 would be obscene if the person did nothing to earn it. 

Anybody can make assumptions without having facts, and you can't base someone's worth purely on a number, what matters is what they do to earn it.

Doh that's a big salary it has to be wrong, they must do nothing to earn it (factless statement)

Just like...

Doh .50 calibre that's big, let's ban them coz people might shoot police (another factless statement)

Give me facts, I'll happily condemn someone earning a big salary and doing nothing for it, but equally I'll refuse to condemn a high earner who's salary can be justified.

Facts you want? Then you would have work with a high earner, watch and judge what he did for his big salary for a year, then evaluate it and construct a variance analysis and you may come up with a feasible hourly rate. Difficult, probably, because he would be away a great deal of the time on visits, holidays and other jollies.
I would like to know what people like Osbourne, Blair, Clegg and the other warts do to get what I suspect is a very good salary.

11 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

No one said ALL charity bosses don't deserve their salary, but when someone is getting  6 figures plus, they need to be bring some SERIOUS value to the table,  not just be a figurehead, or to be given it for some past favour.

There are quangos in government, and in business, the charity circuit is the worst.

You can argue all day long with the 'You don't know what they do for these salaries'

But neither do you .

+1👍

Edited by das

58 minutes ago, toontastic said:

Please answer this question someone earns 40,000, someone earns 200,000 which one deserves their salary most.

A completely meaningless question; It totally depends on the role and it's responsibilities, the person and their capabilities.  There is no way anyone can answer a question like that!

13 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

But neither do you .

I'm neither condemning or defending, I'm simply saying you cannot judge if someone deserves a salary or not based on the size of the salary.

And yes I don't know what they do for these salaries I'm simply saying you can't just quote a figure and say they are either over/under paid without knowing what someone does to justify their salary.

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

A completely meaningless question; It totally depends on the role and it's responsibilities, the person and their capabilities.  There is no way anyone can answer a question like that!

Exactly, but people will happily look at a list of salaries with no supporting evidence and decide they are not worth it. It may be that they are all a bunch of oxygen thieves or they may all provide value for money. But without knowing what they do to to justify their salaries it's not possible to say if they don't deserve it

36 minutes ago, das said:

I would like to know what people like Osbourne, Blair, Clegg and the other warts do to get what I suspect is a very good salary.

+1👍

If you knew I suspect you wouldn't want to do it and if you did want to do it I suspect you would not be able to. They are paid vast sums for a unique set of skills and contacts and abilities. We all make the best of our hand of cards in life. Some get lucky, some work hard some have both. 

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

If you knew I suspect you wouldn't want to do it and if you did want to do it I suspect you would not be able to. They are paid vast sums for a unique set of skills and contacts and abilities. We all make the best of our hand of cards in life. Some get lucky, some work hard some have both. 

What unique set of skills does Tony Blair have?

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

They are paid vast sums for a unique set of skills and contacts and abilities

You're not wrong there 😂

Some start with that idealistic gleam in their eye, of wanting to do good.

Few finish with it. 

I was wholly impressed by by the young tony blair, i am completely horrified at what he became.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I saw something that really yanked my chain.
First off, I genuinely feel for the plight of Syrians, but the cynical way charities pull at your heart strings at Christmas alienates people from giving.

https://www.unicef.org.uk/donate/syria/?sisearchengine=284&siproduct=Campaign_**-Syria-Brand-Broad&gclid=Cj0KCQiAjZLhBRCAARIsAFHWpbED0p1jEu8QmqgzjH06dtoLcEyHMuHfXo8UJ0Q-DKzd9MzT-luff_0aAjNnEALw_wcB

First off 8 million Syrian children at risk from the cold ? Are there 8 million Syrian children ?
In a country of 18 million, with another 2 -3 million displaced in other countries, does that sound like a reasonable figure ?

Are they all sleeping outdoors, or in tents ?
Just send them £50 and your conscience will be clear.

But wait https://www.unicefusa.org/about/faq/ceo-salary-email

So does the CEO of UNICEF take a million dollars in salary ?
No ! UNICEF cry, $569,378 is all she takes pa in  'remuneration' and she doesnt even have a company car !
Thats an awful lot of Syrian kids warm clothing, medicine, and 'safe spaces'

UNICEF claim 89 cents of every dollar goes to the good causes of the charity, I wont dispute that, it would be pointless, but if the CEO gets half a million, the other directors, and 1000s of other salaried employess, all taking their 'cut' what sort of money is this one charity taking ?
You would think world hunger could be ended quite easily with the amount of money that goes into these charities and government aid budgets ?

Financial aid[edit]

Financial aid from government, non-government, and private donors to support Syrian refugees is largely channeled through established aid organizations, and national government agencies. These organizations and agencies deliver aid directly to refugees in the form of food, education, housing, clothing and medical care, along with migration and resettlement services. Complete figures for aid delivery since 2011 are not available. The table below shows cumulative known aid delivered by the largest aid organizations, between April 2011 and December 2015[363]

United Nations agencies
Food and Agriculture Organization FAO 42,103,122
Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs OCHA 412,587,348
United Nations Children's Emergency Fund UNICEF 1,339,721,581
United Nations Development Program UNDP 76,904,986
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization UNESCO 16,275,456
United Nations Higher Commissioner for Refugees UNHCR 2,928,091,009
United Nations Population Fund UNPF 51,352,953
United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East UNRWA 687,533,705
World Food Programme WFP 3,127,400,730
World Health Organization WHO 225,102,831
Intergovernmental Organizations
International Organization for Migration IOM 169,490,783
International Non-Governmental Organizations
CARE International CARE 50,733,320
Handicap International   50,857,464
International Committee of the Red Cross ICRC 119,327,373
International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies IFRC 28,615,689
International Medical Corps IMC 44,176,262
International Rescue Committee IRC 40,880,550
Mercy Corps Mercy Corps 79,182,554
Oxfam Oxfam 53,150,962
Save the Children International   89,549,837
International Religious Organizations
ACT Alliance (Ecumenical) ACT 17,301,378
Caritas International (Roman Catholic) CARITAS 44,291,764
National Organizations
Danish Refugee Council (Denmark) DRC 111,383,440
IHH Humanitarian Relief Foundation (Turkey) IHH 84,026,099
Islamic Relief Worldwide (UK) IRW 63,951,290
Norwegian Refugee Council NRC 160,106,509
Première Urgence (France)   44,403,652
Red Cross (7 branches)   47,535,819
Red Crescent (6 branches)   145,198,574

I'd never give money to a large charity these days, or at least not one that I didn't know inside out. I have however done direct work and given directly to source. I wouldn't trust most charity to put the money where it should go, rather than in some greedy CEOs back pocket. As others have already stated, they are supposed to be charitys and not a business.

the one thing that bothers me is why are there so many of them? multiple cancer charities, multiple childrens charities, etc etc, for every illness or disfigurement thinkable there's at least one charity set up, what good can they all do individually?  crowd funding on the likes of face ache is the latest scam, some of them are unbelievable.

rather than just hand out my spare hard earned cash to these organisations i'm more akin to just help people directly.

46 minutes ago, Paddy Galore! said:

the one thing that bothers me is why are there so many of them? multiple cancer charities, multiple childrens charities, etc etc, for every illness or disfigurement thinkable there's at least one charity set up, what good can they all do individually?  crowd funding on the likes of face ache is the latest scam, some of them are unbelievable.

rather than just hand out my spare hard earned cash to these organisations i'm more akin to just help people directly.

They ain't charities they are either businesses! And those that run them are skimming the cream off the top!....or they are political lobby groups!....their tactics including preying on the uninformed using what amounts to emotional blackmail makes me puke!

The League against Cruel Sports has charitable status!........Why?......they appear to exist just to oppose, disrupt, take direct action and lobby against those that participate in legal country sports!

6 hours ago, Paddy Galore! said:

I am with you on the begging charities who work on a 40% towards admin costs may even  be more         nhs direct research gets my £ and I am with you charity begins at home I will help anybody in need in any way I can

6 hours ago, panoma1 said:

They ain't charities they are either businesses! And those that run them are skimming the cream off the top!....or they are political lobby groups!....their tactics including preying on the uninformed using what amounts to emotional blackmail makes me puke!

The League against Cruel Sports has charitable status!........Why?......they appear to exist just to oppose, disrupt, take direct action and lobby against those that participate in legal country sports!

are charities vat or tax free    yet the charities I have worked for paid me with a coots cheque  the words collecting on behalf of makes my blood boil hence a building site bollicking  so no longer bothered by such phone calls     helping your neighbour old or young they may not have your skills but one day you may need their skills or help

On 23/11/2018 at 20:22, das said:

1431423932_CEOSalaries.jpg.4b19093c09e118cfb6876c9ec1bceacf.jpg

Picked this share up today, shows you where a lump of the donations go. Yes people have to run and organise the charities but just how much gets to the sharp end?

You forgot CAFOD New offices built in London  costing £8Million. These offices could have been located anywhere in the country costing a fraction of the amount.  Trips to South America a few years back for heads of departments. Frequent rail journeys to London.... Once a Charity now a Business...