Excited on shoot days

andy_s

On 26/11/2018 at 21:34, Mochastorm said:

What you’ve described when he’s in company with others is a nightmare dog.  The other guns, if they haven’t said it already, must be very annoyed.  However you say you can stop the dog on the whistle.  If you can stop him then that’s what you need to do.  Just mean business with him, and don’t tolerate anything other than perfection.  He doesn’t move unless you tell him.  Leave him at home for the remainder of the season and enjoy your shooting because at present the dog is being rewarded for bad behaviour. He has a day on the shoot and does as he pleases.  Work on his steadiness, the summer months are ideal for training with longer daylight. Consider gundog lessons where you can group train, this may be invaluable in your case.  When you have him steady take him back to the shoot and leave the gun at home, concentrate on him to get him close to what you and others think is acceptable. When you have reached this stage start shooting over him again.  If he behaves you can relax and enjoy your shooting in the knowledge that your four legged mate isn’t going to spoil the day.  Best of luck.

+1

• 4 weeks later...

In typical pigeon watch fashion not much actual advice but thanks to those that have offered words of wisdom. I've not taken him to the shoot since and have just been concentrating on his training and shooting without him. I'll see where we get to by next season.

On 30/11/2018 at 21:55, scotslad said:

Mibee there's a reason why folk with trained gundogs don't bother going to that shoot???

I know i wouldn't bother going to a shoot where all the dogs are *****, i ilke to enjoy working my dogs and watchng other well rained dogs and am lucky enough to pick the shoots i'll work them on.and have plenty of offers elsewhere

I'd echo exactly wot mocha said far easier for a dog to riun a days shooting than help if wild esp a more walked up/rough shooting day where birds could be scarce, no good if all flushed at 100m's when u've walked miles for them.

But as long as u are happy with ur dog.

No one is invited on this shoot, it's a group of friends on a private farm who aren't trying to attract anyone else no matter how good their dogs are. And no one mentioned dogs on belts dragging owners around or dogs running 100's of metres ahead and ruining the drive. What was said was my dogs wants to work around someone else off to my side and ignores the recall whistle but thanks for the advise scotslad,  very helpful.

Edited by andy_s

On 25/12/2018 at 17:25, andy_s said:

No one is invited on this shoot, it's a group of friends on a private farm who aren't trying to attract anyone else no matter how good their dogs are. And no one mentioned dogs on belts dragging owners around or dogs running 100's of metres ahead and ruining the drive. What was said was my dogs wants to work around someone else off to my side and ignores the recall whistle but thanks for the advise scotslad,  very helpful.

Not a problem and thanks for the belated thanks, only to happy to help 😉

Ps can't take any credit for helping with the dogs tied to belts thing as i never mentioned it

Enjoy the festive

On 29/11/2018 at 20:04, andy_s said:

Completely unacceptable to punch a dog. The guy would have to punch me next if he'd hit my dog. I certainly wouldn't be returning either.

Depends what your dog's doing...

If my dog is sat behaving himself and some one else's dog repeatedly comes over and has a go at him, attacks him or likewise, first thing would be I'd be having a bloody stern word with the owner to keep his own dog under control.

If the owner didn't keep his dog under control and it kept happening then his dog would he having a whack from the stick as a minimum! 

There are unfortunately lots of people who don't have much control over their dogs on shoots, and even worse some who seem to think it's funny when they play up. One bloke on an old shoot seemed to think his pair of labs were some sort of top dogs because they would go around each season and be aggressive towards other dogs snarling at them. I told him to get them under control as I had my young lab there, and when he didn't I clipped it with my stick. 

You making threats against someone because they simply want you to keep your dog under control seems a bit far fetched 🙄 would you come over and punch me if I gave your dog a stern telling off? 

On the positive side... your dog has the potential if you put the work in mate :) there's nothing better than shooting over your own dog that you have put loads of work into, can make you very proud and is a real achievement. 

What would you do if your dog ignored you when out training on your own? Are you doing this on the shoot day? Lots of people would reinforce a command "out training" but seem to let things slide out in the field... you need to be totally consistent in every scenario your in. 

Good luck and hope your dog turns out a cracker mate :)