Awful attitude at gun shop.

holloway

Whilst up in Scotland last week a friend discovered a problem with his shotgun which meant he couldnt use it safely.Not wanting to sit out the rest of the week gunless he decided to seek a cheepy for the rest of the week .

A 3 inch Zabala was quickly found in a local gun shop for £180 a bit rough but still tight, the shop owner wouldnt budge on the price even saying it was worth £100 more.The deal was done and the next morning a chance arose to test the gun on a low goose .It is here that the problems started, both barrels discharged at once causing a great deal of discomfort and alarm to the new owner .Half an hour later another chance arrived the result was the same both barrels going off at the same time.

Needless to say it was straight back to the shop to see what they had to say about the bargain gun ,not a problem we will send it away and get it looked at he said.My friend wanted to return the gun and get his money back he,d  had  a nasty shock a very bruised shoulder and cheek bone and to my mind was well within his rights to demand his money back.

The dealer seemed reluctant at first suggesting rudely  that the buyer had merely been" renting" the gun for the morning flight .Agreeing to return the money only when the safety aspect was layed on  even then with poor grace .

Do you think that the buyer was within his rights to demand his money back ? or should he have allowed the dealer to send it away for repair ?Either way the attitude was awfull.

How about your mate threatens to  sue the gun shop for selling the dangerous gun and for the loss of any shooting trips he has paid for .

See how they like them apples. 

This just goes back to the other thread about rfds not checking guns before they sell .😠

The shop should be most appologetic and bending over backwards to make it up to him. 

3 hours ago, holloway said:

Whilst up in Scotland last week a friend discovered a problem with his shotgun which meant he couldnt use it safely.Not wanting to sit out the rest of the week gunless he decided to seek a cheepy for the rest of the week .

A 3 inch Zabala was quickly found in a local gun shop for £180 a bit rough but still tight, the shop owner wouldnt budge on the price even saying it was worth £100 more.The deal was done and the next morning a chance arose to test the gun on a low goose .It is here that the problems started, both barrels discharged at once causing a great deal of discomfort and alarm to the new owner .Half an hour later another chance arrived the result was the same both barrels going off at the same time.

Needless to say it was straight back to the shop to see what they had to say about the bargain gun ,not a problem we will send it away and get it looked at he said.My friend wanted to return the gun and get his money back he,d  had  a nasty shock a very bruised shoulder and cheek bone and to my mind was well within his rights to demand his money back.

The dealer seemed reluctant at first suggesting rudely  that the buyer had merely been" renting" the gun for the morning flight .Agreeing to return the money only when the safety aspect was layed on  even then with poor grace .

Do you think that the buyer was within his rights to demand his money back ? or should he have allowed the dealer to send it away for repair ?Either way the attitude was awfull.

Did he get the Goose? 😎

Devil's advocate here. Your friend presumably explained his gun was broken and needed another for the shoot. Gunshop sold him one and after the shoot your friend returns the gun and asks for his money back. How does the shop owner know it's legit ? Has this happened to the shop before ? I worked for a catalogue once and people used to buy dresses or shoes for a wedding or party then return them once worn. Similar situation. Just trying to see both sides.

7 minutes ago, paulinlincs said:

Devil's advocate here. Your friend presumably explained his gun was broken and needed another for the shoot. Gunshop sold him one and after the shoot your friend returns the gun and asks for his money back. How does the shop owner know it's legit ? Has this happened to the shop before ? I worked for a catalogue once and people used to buy dresses or shoes for a wedding or party then return them once worn. Similar situation. Just trying to see both sides.

I see what you are saying but a dress isnt really a health hazard is it,and if it was the case he certainly would have finished his weeks shooting wouldnt he .I have noticed that this particular shop seems to advertise a lot of customer gun sales sold as seen, this was not the case here luckily.Put another way if you had a gun returned would you not be mightily relieved  that someone brought it back and had managed to avoid injury to themselves ? Or would you rather they said nothing to you and started legal proceedings for injuries sustained.

Have just checked there sales list and out of 39 guns advertised 23 sold as on the behalf of a customer with no warranty !  asking for aggro in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, holloway said:

I see what you are saying but a dress isnt really a health hazard is it,and if it was the case he certainly would have finished his weeks shooting wouldnt he .I have noticed that this particular shop seems to advertise a lot of customer gun sales sold as seen, this was not the case here luckily.Put another way if you had a gun returned would you not be mightily relieved  that someone brought it back and had managed to avoid injury to themselves ? Or would you rather they said nothing to you and started legal proceedings for injuries sustained.

Have just checked there sales list and out of 39 guns advertised 23 sold as on the behalf of a customer with no warranty !  asking for aggro in my opinion.

But how does the shop know the gun was faulty ? He doesn't know you or your friend from Adam. You are asking him to take your word for it. How many times has he been stung before .

He stated your friend had rented the gun for morning flight so seems he has had this before.

I am sure the shop is run by a total tool with all the customer service skills of a chimp.

Like I said just playing devil's advocate.

53 minutes ago, paulinlincs said:

I worked for a catalogue once and people used to buy dresses or shoes for a wedding or party then return them once worn. Similar situation. Just trying to see both sides.

Happens all the time. I was trying on blazers in M&S about twenty years ago and found a wedding serviette in the pocket of one of them.

The real fault in the OP's stories lies with the nice person who sold the gunshop a faulty Zabala, (probably because it was faulty) with out telling them. The shop had no way of knowing it was DD-ing.

Edited by Vince Green

Yes they do  have a way of knowing .

They test the gun before a purchasing the gun off the previous owner and then test again when its in their possession and fix any faults before putting up for resale. Thats the job of an rfd .and to skimp is to be culpable. 

Edited by Ultrastu

Devil's advocate here. Your friend presumably explained his gun was broken and needed another for the shoot. Gunshop sold him one and after the shoot your friend returns the gun and asks for his money back. How does the shop owner know it's legit ? Has this happened to the shop before ?

Easy one, put a couple of cartridges in & pull the trigger, if it happened to the OP's friend twice in a row it'll happen when the gunshop try it out.

Which should have being sorted before the sale..

Edited by Bazooka Joe
added info

5 hours ago, holloway said:

I'm not saying the gun was/is but if the gun is a Zabala " Armatilla " it is designed to Double Discharge by pulling ( I'll stand being corrected ) the back trigger first

I'm not saying the gun was/is but if the gun is a Zabala " Armatilla " it is designed to Double Discharge by pulling ( I'll stand being corrected ) the back trigger first

I've 3" Mag Zabala had it nearly 40yr, I regularly pull the back trigger depending on the shot.

It doesn't discharge both barrels though, maybe it's a different model, TBH it's the first I've heard of one doing it.

2 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

I've 3" Mag Zabala had it nearly 40yr, I regularly pull the back trigger depending on the shot.

It doesn't discharge both barrels though, maybe it's a different model, TBH it's the first I've heard of one doing it.

Zabala had a particular model that fired both barrels when pulling the rear trigger. I had a 3 1/2 zabala that was identical to a friend's, except his came from the factory as a double discharge gun and mine didn't. 

5 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

Zabala had a particular model that fired both barrels when pulling the rear trigger. I had a 3 1/2 zabala that was identical to a friend's, except his came from the factory as a double discharge gun and mine didn't. 

Thanks for that Mat, you learn something everyday.

Interested if the OP can confirm if the gun was the Zabala " Armatilla " model/or not...?