Awful attitude at gun shop.

holloway

11 hours ago, holloway said:

A 3 inch Zabala was quickly found in a local gun shop for £180 .....  the shop owner wouldnt budge on the price even saying it was worth £100 more ...... The dealer seemed reluctant at first suggesting rudely  that the buyer had merely been" renting" the gun for the morning flight.

If the gun was actually sold, it should have been clearly recorded as such on the buyer's SGC.  

If, on the other hand, the gun was being "rented", £180 sounds rather expensive for one morning's use of a Zabala (especially as the shop seems to have thought its full market value was no more than £180 + £100 = £280).

13 hours ago, Big Mat said:

Zabala had a particular model that fired both barrels when pulling the rear trigger. I had a 3 1/2 zabala that was identical to a friend's, except his came from the factory as a double discharge gun and mine didn't. 

Correct Mat as i previously stated in my other post

18 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

You fire it ..if you dont have the means or area to do that. Then thats the shops failing. Not the poor guy who is trying to buy a full working gun .

A faulty gun will not necessarily double discharge every time. I had a s/s that would do it occasionally.

16 hours ago, Big Mat said:

Zabala had a particular model that fired both barrels when pulling the rear trigger. I had a 3 1/2 zabala that was identical to a friend's, except his came from the factory as a double discharge gun and mine didn't. 

If anyone has seen my latest YouTube video on crow shooting, I am using just such a gun at the end.

4 minutes ago, motty said:

A faulty gun will not necessarily double discharge every time. I had a s/s that would do it occasionally.

If anyone has seen my latest YouTube video on crow shooting, I am using just such a gun at the end.

I wish I hadn't sold mine, but I suspect it won't be coming up for sale again any time soon! 

I’ve had it before guy bought a gun for his daughter had it adjusted to fit her.  Then bought it back after her first game day (the reason he bought the gun) wanted his money back as it would only fire one barrel.  Refused to wait whilst the gun was tested due to business meeting I refunded him refused to refund his days shooting costs.  Glad  I did it fire 150 cartridges perfectly for between 3 people of varing cartridges, it’s a shame she disliked shooting or couldn’t shoot wish he’d hired a gun instead of abusing my good will.  All guns are now tested before any refund is discussed now.  

53 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

I’ve had it before guy bought a gun for his daughter had it adjusted to fit her.  Then bought it back after her first game day (the reason he bought the gun) wanted his money back as it would only fire one barrel.  Refused to wait whilst the gun was tested due to business meeting I refunded him refused to refund his days shooting costs.  Glad  I did it fire 150 cartridges perfectly for between 3 people of varing cartridges, it’s a shame she disliked shooting or couldn’t shoot wish he’d hired a gun instead of abusing my good will.  All guns are now tested before any refund is discussed now.  

I appreciate all cases are different and it sounds like your customer was being dishonest  but this gun was purchased in good faith as a gun that works as it should ,it double discharged on the only 2 occasions that he fired it on Tuesday morning ,he was not lying he was not trying to pull a fast one or rent a gun for the day and he was made to feel like a lying scammer by the shop salesman he sat out the rest of the flights with binoculars only.

17 hours ago, holloway said:

I appreciate all cases are different and it sounds like your customer was being dishonest  but this gun was purchased in good faith as a gun that works as it should ,it double discharged on the only 2 occasions that he fired it on Tuesday morning ,he was not lying he was not trying to pull a fast one or rent a gun for the day and he was made to feel like a lying scammer by the shop salesman he sat out the rest of the flights with binoculars only.

there was no need to sit out the flight,he could have just loaded one cartridge?

Sorry to hear about the gun, I'm having a similar issue.

Purchased a second hand Maxus at the end of July. I had used the shop before for air guns and the service was decent so went to them for my shot gun and have bought other bits of accessories from them too. All was fine while putting 2 3/4 shells through, up until having to put 3 inch steel shot shells through for the ducks. It wouldn't pick up the next shell from the tube, tried it with a few different types of shells to eliminate the possibility it didn't like one particular brand and had the same issue. I took it back to the shop, who when I told them about the issue, didn't seem to believe me. They called Browning and gave them the serial number, they knew immediately what the issue was and that a part was needed, which made me think it's been discussed before, perhaps with the previous owner...

The gun is 30 days over the standard 3 month warranty they offer on second hand stuff, so now they say I have to foot the repair bill. Im understandably cheesed off, because in my eyes they sold me a defective gun. Up to duck season, I had no need to put 3 inch shells through, so was none the wiser while dusting clays and after pigeon. 

Personally I feel they should foot the bill in my eyes, or I want a refund or replacement. What you guys think? Am I being unreasonable?

MarcMaxus, I would still go back to the shop and argue your case. The sale of goods act still applies to secondhand goods although defining the length of the guarantee is more difficult. Basically, if it ever got to court they would look at what is reasonable based on the amount you paid for the item, so if you only paid £10 for the gun and it packed up after 4 months they would probably rule that as it was so cheap getting four months use out of it for £10 was reasonable. Obviously you paid a lot more and so if it got to court they would probably rule that 3 months was unreasonable given the amount you paid and therefore you would be entitled to repair/refund as appropriate. Just because a shop says 3 months for a secondhand item doesn't mean it is enforceable, often shops do it so if there is a problem after 3 months the customer automatically assumes there is nothing they can do. Hope this helps

10 hours ago, MarcMaxus said:

Sorry to hear about the gun, I'm having a similar issue.

Purchased a second hand Maxus at the end of July. I had used the shop before for air guns and the service was decent so went to them for my shot gun and have bought other bits of accessories from them too. All was fine while putting 2 3/4 shells through, up until having to put 3 inch steel shot shells through for the ducks. It wouldn't pick up the next shell from the tube, tried it with a few different types of shells to eliminate the possibility it didn't like one particular brand and had the same issue. I took it back to the shop, who when I told them about the issue, didn't seem to believe me. They called Browning and gave them the serial number, they knew immediately what the issue was and that a part was needed, which made me think it's been discussed before, perhaps with the previous owner...

The gun is 30 days over the standard 3 month warranty they offer on second hand stuff, so now they say I have to foot the repair bill. Im understandably cheesed off, because in my eyes they sold me a defective gun. Up to duck season, I had no need to put 3 inch shells through, so was none the wiser while dusting clays and after pigeon. 

Personally I feel they should foot the bill in my eyes, or I want a refund or replacement. What you guys think? Am I being unreasonable?

Get advice from your local authority trading standards depertment...they'll tell you if you have a claim!

I've spoke to the shop again today before I dug a little deeper and credit where it's due, they are going to sort it out for me. I may just have to pay a small shipping charge but they will pay the bulk of shipping, parts and labour. Im not sure if Browning are doing it for free, but from chatting to a few other shooters, if there was an inherit problem with a particular production batch, they likey would. As i mentioned in the initial comment the fella on the phone knew immediately what this issue was. To be honest I'm quite happy with the outcome, they were very understanding once I gave a bit more context to the situation. They also offered to lend me a gun for next weekend if required, but said they expect mine to be back for Wednesday. 

So happy days! Cheers for advice and replies folks. Happy shooting this weekend if your off out :)

Edited by MarcMaxus