Gun Information

royden

Hi folks just bought an English sidelock side by side made by A.H. Marsh of Birmingham in usable condition and I am looking for information about the maker if anyone can help please. It is nitro proofed and looking at the proof marks I think it was manufactured post 1955. It doesn't show a chamber length but it does show 1 1/4 oz load which I was told  is 2 3/4 in chamber. The right barrel is choked 3/4 and the left 1/4 which I thought a bit odd. Any information would be helpful thanks. Roy

From the description of the proof marks it sounds as if it was proofed under 1904 rules of proof . 1925 Rules of proof stamped both chamber length and shot load  1955 rules stamped camber length and proof pressure .Suggest you look for a proof date stamp which will be evident if made after 1925.

I find no listing for a Marsh in Birmingham in business in the 20c , But there were hundreds of independent workers who may have made a few guns signed by them as maker .

As to the reverse chokes , yes it could have been built as a driven game [ not specifically grouse ]  are the triggers reversed ? as it could have been made "left handed " . Alternately I have been asked to bore chokes in odd ways because the owner was to mean to have both bored or was quite happy shoot either trigger first and one choke was OK  .

We may never know .  

9 hours ago, royden said:

.The triggers are in the normal positions ( front trigger right barrel ) so presume that it was built as a right handed gun. I have included a photo of the proof marks on the flats but I cant see a date stamp anywhere . Thanks for the information Gunman.

20181124_232044.jpg

1904 Rules of Proof so will not be date stamped .The gun could have been build anytime between 1904 and 1925 .

Playing detective and using past experience/knowledge   based on what little I can see in the photo  I will stick my neck out and say it is a very basic non ejector  gun with a simple tumbler and sear lock, possibly back work  [ mainspring behind the tumbler]  , cam type top lever with cross bolt Snap forend ? Or Deeley catch ? Engraving if more than boarder line will be simple and have a bird that looks like a milk bottle with wings .

Not knocking the gun as it has stood the test of time and I wonder how many guns made in the last 10 years will still be around in 2118 and yes , I have owned a couple very similar , one with no name the other signed Fredrick Williams which was the first gun I ever restocked .

Graham 

In confirmation of what `Gunman` has already advised you; I have had a look at Nigel Brown`s `British Gunmakers` Vol 2 & 3 which are probably the definitive books on the British gun trade.

While there are a number of references to the surname `Marsh` throughout the UK there is no `A H` and no link to show he was a relative of any of those listed.

Thank you gents for the information and yes Gunman you are not far off the mark with your description . It has a snap on forend and is a non ejector with simple engraving but I will take your word for the lockwork as I wont ruin it with my amateur meddling . The barrels could do with rebluing at some stage but for now I will get some use out of it . Thanks again for your help.