Effective Killing Range of Steel Shot

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Diss4111 said:

I have no issues with steel shot, in the early days of steel it was poor and this is where it's reputation comes form. Now with modern powders and development it is as good as lead. 

Does anyone know what has changed? I've had no interest in, or need of, NTS for many years, but just in case that should change it's handy to keep up to speed. I thought that the biggest single improvement in the performance of steel was after it was found that the recommended, "go up two shot sizes" simply wasn't working out was when the shot size spec's for steel were altered thus avoiding the embarrassing need to go up three.

14 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Does anyone know what has changed? I've had no interest in, or need of, NTS for many years, but just in case that should change it's handy to keep up to speed. I thought that the biggest single improvement in the performance of steel was after it was found that the recommended, "go up two shot sizes" simply wasn't working out was when the shot size spec's for steel were altered thus avoiding the embarrassing need to go up three.

I think it is just delevopment, powders are being developed for optimum performance with steel shot , wads are being designed better, more choice leading to competition between manufacturers.

7 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Sorry can't give you the answer only my personal opinion of using Steel shot from the Voluntary Year before it was made compulsory.

I've been and still am in a very fortunate situation where i shoot Geese/Duck several times on a weekly basis throughout the season. When legal to use Lead my choice of shot size for Geese was 3's choke combination 1/4-1/2 . In the voluntary season i stuck with this and Steel shot then listening to others etc i changed chokes shot sizes payloads only to go Full circle back to what personally suites myself 1/4-1/2 chokes and mainly Steel 3's/2's for Geese and Steel 3's/4's for Duck not because I'm a stubborn Stick in the Mud shooter but it's what works for me relying on Pattern and Penertration hitting my target upfront. A Moonlight along with a couple of morning flights myself and Grandson have killed a good number of Pinks Greylag Widgeon Teal and Mallard with nothing heaver than 32grm 3's through 1/2 choke and a good number of mine shot with 13/16oz or 7/8oz Steel 3's through 1/2 choke 20ga. Long winded but what works/suites myself or others stick with it and enjoy don't go chasing Rainbows

57 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Sorry can't give you the answer only my personal opinion of using Steel shot from the Voluntary Year before it was made compulsory.

I've been and still am in a very fortunate situation where i shoot Geese/Duck several times on a weekly basis throughout the season. When legal to use Lead my choice of shot size for Geese was 3's choke combination 1/4-1/2 . In the voluntary season i stuck with this and Steel shot then listening to others etc i changed chokes shot sizes payloads only to go Full circle back to what personally suites myself 1/4-1/2 chokes and mainly Steel 3's/2's for Geese and Steel 3's/4's for Duck not because I'm a stubborn Stick in the Mud shooter but it's what works for me relying on Pattern and Penertration hitting my target upfront. A Moonlight along with a couple of morning flights myself and Grandson have killed a good number of Pinks Greylag Widgeon Teal and Mallard with nothing heaver than 32grm 3's through 1/2 choke and a good number of mine shot with 13/16oz or 7/8oz Steel 3's through 1/2 choke 20ga. Long winded but what works/suites myself or others stick with it and enjoy don't go chasing Rainbows

I agree with this completely, I shoot a lot of ducks and a few geese throughout the season and my cartridge of choice is 32g of 4's although this season I have been experimenting with fibre shot cups and have been using 24g steel with very good results 5 for 5 teal last night.

9 minutes ago, grahamch said:

And being a good enough shot too

Your statement is the biggest problem for a lot of people , 60 yds is mentioned quite a lot on this thread and I wonder how many people can hit wildfowl fairly consistently at 60 yds ( 180 ft ) irrespective of what choke / shot size they use , we do hear about the odd ones they stop at this range but we don't seem to hear about the ones they either miss or worse still , the ones they hit and carry on .

I was on a local clay shoot last week and one of the guys brought a long builders tape and measured 40 , 50 and 60 yds and believe you me 60 yds is a long way , very few of the guns who were decent shots could hit the clays beyond the 40 / 50 yd range and the odd ones they did hit if I am honest , were by more luck than judgement .

On 25/11/2018 at 00:25, Perazzishot said:

Opening up to the experts on here.

Interested in your thoughts.

This includes shot that passes straight though leading to ducks collapsing 30 seconds later!

You have had some sensible replies from experienced shots. Now give us the benefit of your own experience with steel shot.

As I have never used steel shot I cannot comment on my own experiences.

I'm interested in a few of the responses!

9 hours ago, Diss4111 said:

I have no issues with steel shot, in the early days of steel it was poor and this is where it's reputation comes form. Now with modern powders and development it is as good as lead. 

This one that is as relevant to lead as it is to steel. If the recent advances can change steel so much why will lead loads not have advanced in that case, which was previously dissed on the other threads?

Also interested that no-one has come forward with pictures of hole in bits of paper to claim the true distance!

I've been using steel on a good few driven duck shoots, personal choice RC Camouflage Hyperfast 34/4. My main concern is not hitting them and this applies to any height is the lack of clean kills you actually achieve with it. 

I had some other posters from here on a day recently and they could not believe firstly what height they did work at but also how many kept going after being hit hard only to die 100 yards later. On plucking steel shot ducks you often find the exit holes causing very little damage on pass through. Same as full metal jacket ammunition used in wars!

I've seen ducks and geese killed with steel out to 100 yards frequently! However those doing it have spent best part of 45 years shooting high ducks and geese unto 7 days a week from the age of 7+.

16 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

I'm interested in a few of the responses!

This one that is as relevant to lead as it is to steel. If the recent advances can change steel so much why will lead loads not have advanced in that case, which was previously dissed on the other threads?

Also interested that no-one has come forward with pictures of hole in bits of paper to claim the true distance!

I've been using steel on a good few driven duck shoots, personal choice RC Camouflage Hyperfast 34/4. My main concern is not hitting them and this applies to any height is the lack of clean kills you actually achieve with it. 

I had some other posters from here on a day recently and they could not believe firstly what height they did work at but also how many kept going after being hit hard only to die 100 yards later. On plucking steel shot ducks you often find the exit holes causing very little damage on pass through. Same as full metal jacket ammunition used in wars!

I've seen ducks and geese killed with steel out to 100 yards frequently! However those doing it have spent best part of 45 years shooting high ducks and geese unto 7 days a week from the age of 7+.

Rightho, 100 yards, load of old tosh