2k budget - 692,725?

gsalmons

Hi all

Finally had my interview and acceptance on Friday, officer said the cert normally takes 2 weeks to come through so now I'm shopping!

I've managed to up my budget to 2k so it's opened up a little more choice, but I'm still looking at Beretta or Browning

Ideally wanting 2nd hand to get a better grade etc and have narrowed if down to a 690 or 725. I'm happy with the basic fit etc of both, but wanted to know if any forum members have had any nightmares or good reviews about these? 

I'm still not 100% decided so I'm open to other ideas! 

Thanks in advance 

Im biased as ive got a browning. But both are good. I have had a number of friends with new berettas that have had problems. Second barrel not going off and the wood on an exchange gun was a totally different colour forend to stock. Just a few quality control issues. 

Saying that i dont know many who shoot a browning. 

Happy shopping.

I’d have a really good browse around before buying either, and preferably at a dealers where you can try them out. I much prefer Browning or Miroku to Beretta but the older Berettas are always worth a good look. I once owned a 682 Supersport which was stunning, so they are out there. 

On GT, if you’re looking for something different, and can find another 600 quid ( but they may be open to offers 🙂 ) is a mint Perazzi MX3C, with all its accessories. It doesn’t matter that it’s 30 years old as it hasn’t done anything! I considered it myself but couldn’t justify parting with mine. 

Anyhow, don’t rush. One of the best things about buying a shotgun is shopping! 😃

Hi

Thanks - the 2k is max, if I can get something lower I'll put the rest in cartridges etc!

I'm going to sort a couple of shooting days to try a few before I commit - I'm intending to keep the first gun for a while which is why I'm happy to go the full amount!

I'll be visiting the derby and Nottm dealers and some grounds over the next couple of weekends so I'm looking forward to the shopping experience 

Cheers

On 25/11/2018 at 19:35, haynes said:

Im biased as ive got a browning. But both are good. I have had a number of friends with new berettas that have had problems. Second barrel not going off and the wood on an exchange gun was a totally different colour forend to stock. Just a few quality control issues. 

I agree I have 692 black edition and have had a few problems with it since I bought it about 18 months ago.  It wasn't new but was "mint" I bought it originally for my wife to use.  Since I have had it it also has suffered a problem with the top barrel not firing when set to fire the bottom first (worked fine when the selector was set to fire the top first) and an ejector that only ejected some of the time.  Was fixed by dealers smith, but I have lost confidence in the gun.  However my 30 year old Perazzi MT6 is perfect and has never missed a beat, nor has my Miroku MK70 which is also not a new gun.

I would recommend Miroku or Browning but wont be buying another Beretta.

25 minutes ago, Wingman said:

I agree I have 692 black edition and have had a few problems with it since I bought it about 18 months ago.  It wasn't new but was "mint" I bought it originally for my wife to use.  Since I have had it it also has suffered a problem with the top barrel not firing when set to fire the bottom first (worked fine when the selector was set to fire the top first) and an ejector that only ejected some of the time.  Was fixed by dealers smith, but I have lost confidence in the gun.  However my 30 year old Perazzi MT6 is perfect and has never missed a beat, nor has my Miroku MK70 which is also not a new gun.

I would recommend Miroku or Browning but wont be buying another Beretta.

Off topic I know, but does your MT6 have floating barrels, as in no middle rib? I almost bought one at the CLA some years ago, which had no middle rib. It's a spec' I find very desirable and was one of the things which first attracted me to my MX4C. 

Ceasar guerini guns are getting good reviews off members on here. Worth a look too as there not too decimilar to handle and fitting.

Is the gun for clays or for all round shooting game pigeons etc ?

As a first gun and not shooting much you won't have your gunmount or preference for fit perfected yet, if you buy a adjustable comb etc you will tinker every time you shoot poorly.

Get a good fitting gun and learn to shoot it,  a silver pigeon or 525/mk38 used would be ideal to start with. You can move it on at little loss if any when you decide to change.

Edited by figgy

3 hours ago, Wingman said:

I agree I have 692 black edition and have had a few problems with it since I bought it about 18 months ago.  It wasn't new but was "mint" I bought it originally for my wife to use.  Since I have had it it also has suffered a problem with the top barrel not firing when set to fire the bottom first (worked fine when the selector was set to fire the top first) and an ejector that only ejected some of the time.  Was fixed by dealers smith, but I have lost confidence in the gun

I also had a 692 black that suffered from the exact same problems. Other problems I had were double discharges & a repeatedly loose forend.

I lost faith in the gun & traded it in for a Caesar Guerini, so far I'm very impressed.

2K will buy a nice CG

i would go for a browning 525 or a miroku only because i like the deeper action they feel more robust, the beretta and the 725 have a lower profile and mechanical trigger so both similar guns, 

if you are looking for second hand as per the posts above go and pic up all that you like the look of, then make sure they fit you reasonably well .. that should be the deciding factor .. after all if you like something and it fits you may save a few quid to spend that on cartridges or join a syndicate/club

good luck whatever you choose 

Terry

I think in all honesty, there are very few rubbish guns out there. The likes of rizzini, lincoln, bettinsolli, offer some very good guns for not masses of money. I particularly like the lincolns. They do a side plated version that looks the part. 

None will let you down, in any great form. And none will let you down in the image stakes either. Unless your a brand snob.