FAC - Medical Certificate Invoice

Trenta

Hello there, I am in the process of applying for a FAC to go along with my SGC and this seems to be going along quite nicely until yesterday when I received an invoice from my local doctor's surgery asking me to pay £74.23 for the medical certificate for my FAC application.  They kindly added that "If you decide you no longer want to go ahead with your application for a firearms certificate please let the surgery know"

Just to state that I do not have any medical conditions that would affect my application, so this seems very steep to me, considering the FAC application was only £90!

Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks in advance

2 minutes ago, Trenta said:

Hello there, I am in the process of applying for a FAC to go along with my SGC and this seems to be going along quite nicely until yesterday when I received an invoice from my local doctor's surgery asking me to pay £74.23 for the medical certificate for my FAC application.  They kindly added that "If you decide you no longer want to go ahead with your application for a firearms certificate please let the surgery know"

Just to state that I do not have any medical conditions that would affect my application, so this seems very steep to me, considering the FAC application was only £90!

Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks in advance

And here we go again......I find it hard to believe there are still gun owners out there to whom this is unknown! 

And I thought my GP surgery were robing **** when they wanted £30 when I renewed last month 😮

My FLO did say when he came round to do my inspection that he had advised a few people who's GP's were playing sill beggars to ask the GP to see there own medical record and this is a free service - you get a code like letting someone view your driving licence - then you can give your FLO the code and he can see the records

The only downside is that the FLO gets to see everything on file warts and all. 

I received a letter, asking for money, from my doctor on my SGC renewal. I phoned the surgery and asked if i had instructed them to issue one? They said "no, the Police did". So i told them to send the Police the letter. Don't know whether they issued a report, but the licence turned up a week later.

29 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Ask for a Subject Access Record - a lot cheaper than paying for a letter. It will also take longer for the GP, who might then agree to lower the price of their letter to £10, after considering the amount of photocopying in the SAR.

No there's an idea :good:

Do you think it would be accepted by all police forces? Or better still sort the GPs extortionate prices out.

2 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

No there's an idea :good:

Do you think it would be accepted by all police forces? Or better still sort the GPs extortionate prices out.

Just having sorted out a letter for my grant in Sussex, they would not accept this as their letter to me explaining the need for it specifically wants an original, signed doctors letter.  It's also only £30, so not exactly breaking the bank.

7 minutes ago, Jongwe said:

Just having sorted out a letter for my grant in Sussex, they would not accept this as their letter to me explaining the need for it specifically wants an original, signed doctors letter.  It's also only £30, so not exactly breaking the bank.

You were lucky with £30, some have stated that their GPs wants considerably more!

Edited by Newbie to this

Just now, Newbie to this said:

You were lucky with £30, some have stated that their GP wants considerably more!

Yup - my GP is quite good at keeping it's non-NHS prices down.  Also a number of the doctors are very supportive of shooting with one (from what I have been told) doing a bit of shooting themselves.

5 minutes ago, Jongwe said:

Yup - my GP is quite good at keeping it's non-NHS prices down.  Also a number of the doctors are very supportive of shooting with one (from what I have been told) doing a bit of shooting themselves.

Someone also recently posted that their GP refused outright to do such a report.

https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/381029-kent-police-sgc-renewal-medical-report/

11 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Someone also recently posted that their GP refused outright to do such a report.

https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/381029-kent-police-sgc-renewal-medical-report/

Yeah - I saw that one.  Though the letter I got and the one I had to provide my GP asked for facts only and iirc explicitly said "not an opinion".  A doctor refusing to provide a fact based report is quite frankly just being a d**k!  Especially because their only reason is likely to be that they just don't like guns.  The police really should be more sympathetic in this instance if the patient can provide evidence that their doctor refuses.

2 minutes ago, Trenta said:

Thanks to all for your replies - I raised this with my BASC representative as well, and they advised me to sit on it, as I do not have any medical conditions to declare, and only act if I am contracted by the police again - so I will see what happens there.

The best of luck.  I hope it all works out.

Edited by Jongwe
typos

11 hours ago, silver pigeon69 said:

I received a letter, asking for money, from my doctor on my SGC renewal. I phoned the surgery and asked if i had instructed them to issue one? They said "no, the Police did". So i told them to send the Police the letter. Don't know whether they issued a report, but the licence turned up a week later.

I had similar on SGC renewal, docs letter wanted £25 or so before they were willing to confirm that I was in suitable mental & physical health. I ignored it and Avon & Somerset sent a new certificate though a fortnight later anyway.

my firearms officer  told me that they dont send a report.. its the firearms dept telling the doctor that you are a firearm licence holder and its their duty to report to the firearms if you go and see them with any mental health/depression issues...

Edited by peejay

6 hours ago, peejay said:

my firearms officer  told me that they dont send a report.. its the firearms dept telling the doctor that you are a firearm licence holder and its their duty to report to the firearms if you go and see them with any mental health/depression issues...

^^^^ This - all they did on my renewal is put a digital marker on my record that says that the police must be informed if I suddenly become unsuitable to own a firearm through stress or  howling at the moon etc which is money for old rope

2 minutes ago, Wooder said:

medical report from my new GP has had to change practise as the old one wouldn't do it, £128

Wow - that sounds a very unreasonable and disproportionate price.  Especially as all the doctor really does is rubber stamp something done by the medical secretary.