Rise in young children swearing

Walker570

People try telling me intelligent people swear more. 

I have a top 2.5% IQ, I can swear but I have the intelligence to decide when I swear. I think my kids, 2 daughters, may have heard me swear once or twice, eldest is 30, likewise the good lady wife. 

When out with my mates in a grownup male environment I can and do swear a reasonable amount. 

We occasionally shoot with a female ex prison officer, she apologies to me when she let's fly because she doesn't here me swear and I once mockingly looked at her all upset that she had give a stand the full Scottish after an abysmal display. 

Time and a place for it. 

3 hours ago, Scully said:

It’s all down to parenting. 

:blush:

Myself in the drivers seat waiting to turn right at the lights. Two kids in the back, ages 3 and 6, strapped in their car seats. Out of the blue,..

The three year old: 'Daddy, why don't you like the builders?'

'(we're in the throes of having the kitchen extended at the time)

Self, 'Oh, it's not that I don't like them, I just wish they'd clean up after themselves a bit better. And I'm not altogether sure that they.....

The three year old again, cutting across my waffle "Because they're a pack of f.........ing cowboys?'

The 6 year old, bouncing up and down and pointing gleefully, "Daddy! Daddy! Doozie used the F word! Doozie used the F word!!

1 hour ago, manthing said:

I have a top 2.5% IQ, I can swear but I have the intelligence to decide when I swear. I think my kids, 2 daughters, may have heard me swear once or twice, eldest is 30, likewise the good lady wife. 

When out with my mates in a grownup male environment I can and do swear a reasonable amount. 

We occasionally shoot with a female ex prison officer, she apologies to me when she let's fly because she doesn't here me swear and I once mockingly looked at her all upset that she had give a stand the full Scottish after an abysmal display. 

Time and a place for it. 

Your eldest is 30 and your wife. Fair play 👍

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

:blush:

Myself in the drivers seat waiting to turn right at the lights. Two kids in the back, ages 3 and 6, strapped in their car seats. Out of the blue,..

The three year old: 'Daddy, why don't you like the builders?'

'(we're in the throes of having the kitchen extended at the time)

Self, 'Oh, it's not that I don't like them, I just wish they'd clean up after themselves a bit better. And I'm not altogether sure that they.....

The three year old again, cutting across my waffle "Because they're a pack of f.........ing cowboys?'

The 6 year old, bouncing up and down and pointing gleefully, "Daddy! Daddy! Doozie used the F word! Doozie used the F word!!

😊 Yep, parenting. You can't prevent your kids from hearing swear words, but you can tell them it's wrong to use such words. You always get the odd blooper though. 

Responsible parenting : telling your kids they shouldn't use such words when you hear them use such a word, and explaining why. 

Irresponsible parenting : failing to do the above. 

My daughter used the 'b' word to her brother; she was only little and hadn't heard it from me, but after calling her into the house for a ticking off, I've never heard her say it since. She's 21 now and can suit herself, but I don't often hear her swear, and its usually at her brother still. 

You're obviously a responsible parent as your elder one knew it was wrong. 

3 hours ago, manthing said:

Time and a place for it. 

Nice to know 97.5% of the population are thicker than you. :lol: 

Thing is with swearing .it can be a very powerful and useful at the correct time .throwing a couple of well timed f 's and  s  's .  Into someone  can have a big effect .

But only if you dont over use it .

If every 3rd word out of the mouth is a profanity of some sort then you loose (a respect  and b any impact. ) 

I'm not precious about it, certainly not with adults anyway because some of the most articulate and intelligent people I know speak a bit common like. There are no substitutes for one or three fairly foul words that comes to mind, love them meself and use them when appropriate. 

I don't like hearing young kids swear though. 

I've always been inclined to swear a bit when something goes wrong or I hurt myself, but I never once swore in front of my Mother. I've never heard my son swear in front of his Mother either. Being Irish, she probably knows more swearwords than him, but it's a respect thing. Just as it should be.

Among men it's acceptable if that's your thing.

13 minutes ago, walshie said:

I've always been inclined to swear a bit when something goes wrong or I hurt myself, but I never once swore in front of my Mother. I've never heard my son swear in front of his Mother either. Being Irish, she probably knows more swearwords than him, but it's a respect thing. Just as it should be.

Among men it's acceptable if that's your thing.

as above never swore in front of my mum my sons never swore in front of their mom but  in a building site environment   I never said o dear vicar I have just hit my finger really hard with a 20oz hammer  way too many words in a time need😂😂   however working in peoples houses listening to their kids on x box call of duty cuss and swear I have never heard language like this on a building site

Edited by Saltings

2 minutes ago, Saltings said:

as above never swore in front of my mum my sons never swore in front of their mom but  in a building site environment   I never said o dear vicar I have just hit my finger really hard with a 20oz hammer  way too many words in a time need😂😂

probably a chippy who would faint if he hit his finger with a proper hammer 😂😂😂

I work in alternative education and just when you think you've heard it all we have a parent in with her kid for a review and she's **** and jeffin. Then her 3yr old is repeating it all and she says nothing like it's all normal. Most people swear on occasions depending on circumstances but society is crazy and bad or lack of parenting is to blame. 

My IQ is very Mr Average, I work in a garage, mix with blokes from other garages/tyre shops. Personally I never swear in normal conversation, especially in front of lady's or kids, and rarely in front of my own kids even though they are in their 20s. It's not big. It's not clever. It adds no weight to an argument. I agree it's down to the parents, in everything from food, exercise, politeness and swearing to mention just a few.