Sheep skin

Benthejockey

I’ve got a sheep skin to tan. Not in itself a tricky job, I’ve done deer, Fox and I’m doing a goat skin at the minute. But this sheep is different because it’s a big woolly beast of a thing. Tight ish fleece not long straggly welsh type wool. I’m in a quandary as to how to get the fleece clean before I start tanning. I’m likely going to use the snowdonia supplies Ktan because I’ve got some in the garage. Normally a cup of detergent and some degreasing soap works but I don’t think it will get it white. Any ideas?

I think Simon hit the nail. IF you cannot persuade she who must be obeyed then get a nice clean plastic dustbin, warm not hot water and some washing caosules. Get yer boots off and start treading ...the off shoot is you will not need to wash your feet for a month afterwards and heh! treat it as a health kick, get your weight down. 

Stick it in a washing machine for an hour.  Job done.

If the washing machine is a serious option have a look and see if there are any outdoor laundrettes near you, we have one in town where there are 3 washing machines in a fuel station forecourt and one is a massive thing for doing duvets and sleeping bags.

If my town has such a facility they must be fairly widespread

I think the washing machine would be perfect but our washing machine would die with the sheer weight of it. I can’t think of any outdoor laundrettes around here and I’d definitel get thrown out of an indoor laundrette because it stinks of sheep. I think I’m going to have use an old bin and be a mainuak washing machine. It’s not worth being murdered by Mrs BTJ or killing the washing machine. 

hello, talking of sheep skins my friend came over from Estonia in Febuary  and took back 3 sheep skin coats bought in Oxford market in as new condition for not much money due to not being so popular to wear in the UK,  apparently there is a big market for these coat but there are few sheep if any in Estonia, sheep skins get a poor financial return in UK, any exporters on here ???

On 26/11/2018 at 18:49, Benthejockey said:

I think the washing machine would be perfect but our washing machine would die with the sheer weight of it. I can’t think of any outdoor laundrettes around here and I’d definitel get thrown out of an indoor laundrette because it stinks of sheep. I think I’m going to have use an old bin and be a mainuak washing machine. It’s not worth being murdered by Mrs BTJ or killing the washing machine. 

Try soaking it in a tin bath or a water trough