Amazing just how Essex Police deal with drugs

TIGHTCHOKE

41 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Sometimes people make programmes that simply dont reflect the real world, its lazy journalism , or motivated to show a particular , biased result.
Ive never heard of anyone in this country buying drugs off 'The dark web' - why would you ?
60 % coke off the street , total Bull , Im afraid !
They would be queuing round the block, which sort of defeats the object!

Don't know about the truth of the 60%, but i have worked with people who have bought on the Dark web, this is how i found out about it! The dealers even have a "rating" system, like Ebay sellers, where the customers give feedback on the products. You pay by bitcoin and it comes through the post! Couldn't believe it when i heard it! 

https://www.economist.com/international/2016/07/16/shedding-light-on-the-dark-web

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/oct/06/dark-net-drugs

Two reputable links about it above

14 minutes ago, silver pigeon69 said:

Two reputable links about it above

Mmm fairly old links citing American links to the old silk road market.

Many years ago I did some research into this , and found it was far from simply downloading Tor and browsing the silk road marketplace, a Tor browser doesn't work like a normal one , it's damn slow! Prone to crashing , and the concept of being just one click away from purchasing drugs, guns and all manner of stuff was , as far as I was concerned , a fantasy, and that was well before the FBI bust it wide open.

As far as 60 % pure coke on the street, I'm struggling with that, and I'll tell you why.

First off , why would a street dealer sell you it , when he could cut it in half, double his money, and 99 out of 100 customers would be none the wiser?

Discerning snorters who are wealthy enough to pay for the good stuff, wouldn't buy off the street any way , and would be relatively close to import sources.

Which brings me to point 2.

Just say the product comes into this country at 100 % , it doesn't , but let's keep it simple. As soon as it gets down to kilo size , that stuff getting cut, probably down to 50% Then it's going out in ounces, and it's getting cut, and so on ,imagine how many people it passes through before young Jonny gets his snotter powdered in Yates toilet ?

I'd be surprised if if it hits 10 % given how many people want money, or support for their own habit out of it.

Yes the dark web isn’t quite as simple an easy as the media would have us believe, however it doesn’t take a whole lot of skill or knowledge to discover the seedier parts.

The dark web is also absolutely littered with scam sites and dealers so comes with a bit of risk.

A key focus of some of my areas of work is being aware of what is available in the deep ‘net, specifically in relation to cyber security.  I digress...

In the US there is a massive problem where drugs are being adulterated with fentanyl deliberately in a ploy to hook users and have them coming back to that dealer, especially in cheap drugs like coke that people buy recreationally and maybe only once in a blue moon.  That is not a problem in the UK thankfully, but it is a massive problem in the US.

As the book I linked to above points out the biggest problem with illegal drugs -  and cocaine in particular - isn't the drugs themselves so much as the massive criminality and corruption the drug business engenders. The business is apparently worth about $400 billion a year. http://www.worldometers.info/drugs/ But of course  too many people profit from either the business itself or the 'war' on it for any real resolution of the problem to be attempted. 

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

I just did a quick search and didn't really read them. But the two people i know, who bought from it, were based in the UK and purchased the items (weed, or whatever its called nowadays??) about a year ago.

4 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Many years ago I did some research into this , and found it was far from simply downloading Tor and browsing the silk road marketplace, a Tor browser doesn't work like a normal one , it's damn slow! Prone to crashing , and the concept of being just one click away from purchasing drugs, guns and all manner of stuff was , as far as I was concerned , a fantasy, and that was well before the FBI bust it wide open.

As far as 60 % pure coke on the street, I'm struggling with that, and I'll tell you why.

First off , why would a street dealer sell you it , when he could cut it in half, double his money, and 99 out of 100 customers would be none the wiser?

Discerning snorters who are wealthy enough to pay for the good stuff, wouldn't buy off the street any way , and would be relatively close to import sources.

Which brings me to point 2.

Just say the product comes into this country at 100 % , it doesn't , but let's keep it simple. As soon as it gets down to kilo size , that stuff getting cut, probably down to 50% Then it's going out in ounces, and it's getting cut, and so on ,imagine how many people it passes through before young Jonny gets his snotter powdered in Yates toilet ?

I'd be surprised if if it hits 10 % given how many people want money, or support for their own habit out of it.

There’s a 2 tier market with some users paying a premium for cocaine of higher purity.

So what are the anti recreational drug people on here thoughts on the legalizing of cannabis? Will there views suddenly change over night? As once something becomes legal then presumably they will be okay with it from reading their comments. Would be interesting to here from anyone from Canada who has first hand experience of this process. 

Should anyone be able to control what an individual wants to put in their own body?

Interesting debate though

2 minutes ago, belly47 said:

So what are the anti recreational drug people on here thoughts on the legalizing of cannabis? Will there views suddenly change over night? As once something becomes legal then presumably they will be okay with it from reading their comments. Would be interesting to here from anyone from Canada who has first hand experience of this process. 

Should anyone be able to control what an individual wants to put in their own body?

Interesting debate though

Are you generally a law abiding individual?

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Emphasis

10 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Are you generally a law abiding individual?

Yes, why do you ask?

I'm simply trying to point out that there are two sides of any argument.

We all know someone who drinks too much, some will probably hold gun licences, and in medical circles they would be considered to have a problem if they knew the details. I read somewhere that if a person went to the pub every night for 3 or 4 pints after work that doctors would consider this to be alcoholic behaviour as it's a regular routine, but to everyone else it's just someone unwinding after a day at work because it's legal

As I said it's an interesting debate, but to be a debate there has to be discussion not just someone shouting louder than the next man.

Edited by belly47

It’s a toughy subject alright. I remember the chimp test they did years back - they put a load of chimps in a controlled environment and laid out on a table everything from healthy foods to booze, fags and drugs to see what the chimps would naturally do. To a man/chimp they all went for getting off their faces and smashed up the booze, fags and gear rejecting the bananas and salad.

So, it’s in our genetic make up to want to get off our faces, thus demand will always always be there.

Then factor in the value of the drugs trade (trillions) and that all the most unpleasant people on the planet are involved, profiting and growing (and not a penny of tax paid).

The natural economic result should be market regulation and taxation and yes I think this is possible for the lower Classes of drugs.

However, heroin (because of its sheer addictive and destructive qualities) and cocaine (because of its physiological addiction and mental effect) should be controlled.

Toughy alright.

1 hour ago, belly47 said:

Yes, why do you ask?

I'm simply trying to point out that there are two sides of any argument.

We all know someone who drinks too much, some will probably hold gun licences, and in medical circles they would be considered to have a problem if they knew the details. I read somewhere that if a person went to the pub every night for 3 or 4 pints after work that doctors would consider this to be alcoholic behaviour as it's a regular routine, but to everyone else it's just someone unwinding after a day at work because it's legal

As I said it's an interesting debate, but to be a debate there has to be discussion not just someone shouting louder than the next man.

I asked because you question whether anyone should be able to control what an individual wants to put in their own body? 

On 26/11/2018 at 17:34, grrclark said:

I know many people who take cocaine, some are young and daft and a few are extremely successful, responsible and reasonable individuals.  None of them are bad people.

Despite what the PW collective may think about it recreational drugs use in the UK is rife and like most alcohol drinkers the vast majority of those who indulge are unremarkable in their behaviour.

Of course in the perfect world there would be no recreational drugs, but that isn’t going to happen in my lifetime and nor will it hapen in the lifetime of anybody else on PW, or their kids, grandkids, great grandkids, etc, etc

I daresay there would be some on here that would be content for all those who indulge in recreational drugs to die from a bad batch, after all they are breaking the law and deserve all they get.

For myself, given that drugs are not going to ever go away and have been here for as long as man has, I would far rather that we avoid unecccessary deaths and the attendant suffering of families and friends by issuing statements that there are bad batches of drugs being sold instead of closing out eyes to the problem and letting folk die.

Of course those who indulge are always taking a greater risk than those who don’t.

Great post