shed workshop

roadkill

Good evening all,

Just insulating my shed at the minute ready to turn it into my reloading and bike tinkering den!

Anyone know an ideal workbench height to save the back from any pain, was thinking around 37" 

Next,  what kind of lighting should I be looking at? so many to choose from.

Jamie 

If you are fitting a bench vice, the jaws should be at elbow height. Then work it out backwards for the rest of it.

If you can sit down and work, I find that a folding draughtsman's high chair relieves some of the back strain.

The best thing I have done, however, is fitting a small travelling winch above the bench - which makes lifting my bike engine a doddle.

1 hour ago, vmaxphil said:

I used old kitchen units for benches, then a stool if doing close work,  led strip lights for general light then anglepoise over vice and fixed tools ( advantage of being an electrician in a hospital)

Have you been peeping at my set up?

It's not revolutionary but this is my end result after experimenting a bit with the lighting arrangements. The benefit of kitchen units is that you can configure as you want and add to them when needed but there are plenty of YouTube videos if you want to make something more bespoke which I've done for a reloading bench rather than my second one for tinkering or general work.

I've added locking rubber wheeled castors too so it's mobile when needed and by using kitchen units and a decent chunk for the top, mine has come out at just over 35" in height which I find comfortable for standing as well as sitting if cutting dovetail joints or similar close work.

I found that the designing was part of the enjoyment but be warned, it's addictive. Best of luck.

I have just replaced my 40yr old strip lights with LEDs and what a difference...however LEDs do throw shadows which can be a pain, so I will be adding an alternative source of light for those small tricky jobs.  I saved a whole set of kitchen units from being burned and set these in my garage..the units included the top which was unmarked and spotless as where the units but some lady had other ideas, my gain. My main workshop is benched on one side with 2 inch wooden plank, again some reclaim roofing trusses and I have part of this covered with 1/4 steel plate where the big vice goes, handy when you need to tap something flat.  My other bench is all steel and again reclaimed from a commercial workshop.  Then I have a small all steel heavy build bench with smaller vice which is where I do most of my indoor welding.   There you go....choices choices.    I do like my main vice just a little higher than elbow height but it is where you feel comfortable working.  ...height of course is related to your height.

Depends on your height. Lab benches are something like 3" higher than kitchen units so that would be where I'd start for how high.

If you make a bench with square legs you could put a box section round the legs for adjusting with holes for different heights and put a bolt or pin through to suit you or what your doing.

Edited by figgy

A good average BUT a work surface is a personal thing.  Like a large layout table is useless at elbow height in my view.  I have three vice positions, the big main vice is just above elbow height at a point where I feel comfortable with a file.  My welding table vice is hip height and I have a general purpose vice on the garage work surface which is just tidy if I am sitting on a high typist chair.  You have to decide that yourself and what you need from it.

In addition your bench can be a simple one made from reclaimed timbers like my big bench or a bit more expensive with a 1/4 inch steel plate top rolled at the front on solid angle iron legs and frame with a 1/8th inch steel shelf below.... I had mine given me as it was too big and heavy for the donor.

Horses for courses basically.

Edited by Walker570