Slippery ***** Gun Wax

johnnytheboy

I used this slippery ***** on my new silver pigeon as it was getting good reviews, everything was spot on and the results seemed to be decent. However I was out shooting the other day and the gun got wet, just wet during drives not soaked or anything scary, the wax has went white and powdery like it’s affected the full coating on the wood. It also seems that the small parts of the grain are sticking up at there is rough surfaces on the wood. I doesn’t look like the wood grain that sticking up someone on here mentioned that the wood is coated in polyurethane varnish, if it is this it’s like it has drawn the varnish out of the grain. 

Has anyone seen this before or know more about this, it’s tottally weird and it’s kinda ruined my new gun! Could it have sealed the varnish and not allowed it to breath or something crazy? 

Edited by johnnytheboy

All new berettas or any Beretta for at least the last ten years or so has had this problem.

Let it dry out naturally and give it a bit of oil if the grain is still raised a light sanding with 1200 grade wet and dry should smooth it off then some stock oil.

Plenty of videos online of how to oil your stock.

water based lacker can turn white if enough water gets on put into slip to sweat  use some very fine wire wool in impregnated in boiled linseed oil in a circular motion clean off residue and palm a small amount of oil onto the woodwork let it dry then repeat may take a few weeks   or if you want a light wire wool to remove raised grain seal the grain with sand and sealer or 50 / 50 polyurethane varnish and thinners allow to dry then go to work with wire wool and oil will take less oil and time to get a good finish

Slight tangent but I just ordered a tin of 'Nath's Fine Finish Stock Wax' from Nath92 over on Airgunforum. Comes well-recommended and I'm keen to try it out. Currently refinishing my 20bore having stripped off the pretty nasty finish that was on previously. Will make a post if it turns out well. 

I have oiled finished wood on all of my guns, apart from an early Beretta 303 which is still varnished.  I have been using 'Silk Oil' beeswax polish from Home Bargains at around £2.50 a can. I have  used this for around 5 years without any issues, including on some VERY wet days. Just one spray and wipe off, water just bounces off and no slip.

21 hours ago, Westley said:

I have oiled finished wood on all of my guns, apart from an early Beretta 303 which is still varnished.  I have been using 'Silk Oil' beeswax polish from Home Bargains at around £2.50 a can. I have  used this for around 5 years without any issues, including on some VERY wet days. Just one spray and wipe off, water just bounces off and no slip.

I've looked for this but can only find "wood silk" beeswax polish either in a purple tin or yellow toped aerosol, is that what you are using as I would like to try some. 

Thanks.

27 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

I've looked for this but can only find "wood silk" beeswax polish either in a purple tin or yellow toped aerosol, is that what you are using as I would like to try some. 

Thanks.

I am sorry, it is WOOD SILK in a yellow topped aerosol can. Pity 'Specsavers' do not sell it, I could have got some whilst I was there  !     😄 

10 hours ago, Westley said:

I am sorry, it is WOOD SILK in a yellow topped aerosol can. Pity 'Specsavers' do not sell it, I could have got some whilst I was there  !     😄 

Thanks I'll ask the wife to get me some next time shes there. 👍. I've just remembered she is going to Specsavers this evening which is next door to home bargains 😀.

10 hours ago, sportsbob said:

Thanks I'll ask the wife to get me some next time shes there. 👍. I've just remembered she is going to Specsavers this evening which is next door to home bargains 😀.

Brilliant..................job done  !  I do not think you  will be disappointed with the wax polish either.