Claybusting near Cupar

Alex1Nat2

Assuming you mean Cupar in Fife? Scottish Clay Shooting centre is good but only usually open on Saturdays. Cluny clays in Kirkaldy is also good and has the benefit of cafe etc so you can make a day of it. Auchterhouse near Dundee is meant to be highly recommended but never been there myself. 

Yeh Cluny Clays has a pretty good layout. They’ve recently improved the forest paths with hardcore, so not muddy any more.

They use a card system, so you go to reception, get a card which allows you to launch clays at any stand, then pay for what you launched. Each trap also has a changeable delay for solo shooting.

As has been said the two obvious choices are Cluny at Kirkcaldy and Auchterhouse just outside Dundee.  Both will be around 32p per clay for a non member, Auchterhouse has a decent high tower if you enjoy that.  In both cases about 25 mins from Cupar.

Both have good cafe's and nice clubhouses.  Cluny is a multi event facility with a 9 hole golf course, archery, indoor air rifle range, kids play areas, driving range, segways, etc but still around 13-14 sporting stands that will keep you entertained.  Auchterhouse will have a dozen sporting stands or so.  For either ground take your certificate as you are likely to be asked for it.

Cluny use the Laporte Long Range counter system that allows you to set a variable delay if shooting solo, Auchterhouse use the Promatic Claymate system so a 3 sec delay is what you get.  If you are shooting with a friend, or friends, Cluny can also put on a small flush for you, but might need to be pre-arranged.

Cluny sell Gamebore and Express squibs, Auchterhouse mainly sell Fiocchi.

Nothing to do with clay bashing, but Hoggs of Fife are based in Cupar and this coming weekend is their annual sale, they use the Corn Exchange hall in Cupar, right in the middle of town, for the sale and you will get some excellent deals on any Hoggs produce, plus they also have a load of other brands.  There will also be leather goods and shoes and things like shooting socks, shirts, hats, gloves, scarves, waterproofs, etc.  It is a genuinely good sale and worth popping in if you need anything, the sale runs from Thursday to Sunday.

As a final aside when you're in Cupar and if you enjoy a wee dram then make sure to visit Luvian's which is on the main road through town, 2 mins walk from the Corn Exchange, they have an phenomenal selection of whisky ranging up to some bottles at £2k+.  Plenty at the affordable end of the spectrum too, also a fantastic selection of other spirits and wines and some nice food in their deli.  Good for Christmas pressies.

Cluny I’ve also found to be reasonably sheltered too, being in a wood. Always a consideration if the weather is not great.

Although I’ll never get used to the car park, with golfers pulling their trolleys to and from the course amongst people with walking about with shotguns. 

Agreed re the cafe, I’ve never been to Cluny and not made at least one visit. 

40 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

Even better now hod you get groups of bairns coming in to play golf football! The looks you get are incredible!

I fancy a go at golf football, but will let the knee recover a bit more first.

Could be a fun day out hoofing a ba’ around the golf course before beer.

2 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

Even better now hod you get groups of bairns coming in to play golf football! The looks you get are incredible!

Ha. I tried that (not at Cluny), didn’t even last the first hole before my knee packed in... getting an op next week to sort it, hopefully. Just like golf, favours the steady, accurate player, although it helps if you can blooter it for longer holes. 

They tried to sell it as a sport in its own right, but like you say, apart from kids and groups of stag do types, surely no one plays that regularly? Must **** off the regular golfers too, having these oiks cutting about on their course.

Edited by hod

2 hours ago, grrclark said:

I fancy a go at golf football, but will let the knee recover a bit more first.

Could be a fun day out hoofing a ba’ around the golf course before beer.

Better after beer for sure! Maybe that’s how we start our day out, sober clays get ****** play golf football and head to Edinburgh 🙈😂

30 minutes ago, hod said:

Ha. I tried that (not at Cluny), didn’t even last the first hole before my knee packed in... getting an op next week to sort it, hopefully. Just like golf, favours the steady, accurate player, although it helps if you can blooter it for longer holes. 

They tried to sell it as a sport in its own right, but like you say, apart from kids and groups of stag do types, surely no one plays that regularly? Must **** off the regular golfers too, having these oiks cutting about on their course.

Think the golfers love it when they share a green the hole is massive 😂😂😂

2 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

Better after beer for sure! Maybe that’s how we start our day out, sober clays get ****** play golf football and head to Edinburgh 🙈😂

It would be entertaining for sure 😀

At Cluny I think they should have a hybrid segway/golf like polo without the cuddies and hoi poilloi, don’t think i’ll be able to talk Drew into trying that though.