question for the kitchen fitters, valuing used kitchen units

paul1966

we are on a strict budget and need some kitchen units as cheap as possible. I have found these for sale which should do, if anything there's too many. They are priced at £350 for all the units except the wine chiller, the oven hob extractor and sink is included. I am hoping to get the price down to £300, is that a fair price? do the units look decent quality?

46768413_10212673480416851_4161982859269111808_n.jpg

46846516_10212673480136844_4984948831415173120_n.jpg

46957290_10212673479776835_6110135722147053568_n.jpg

3 minutes ago, haynes said:

You cant see the units. The carcasses might be knackered. Better units are 18mm thick. 

A good budget option i find is b and q. Whole brand new kitchen for very little money. Ive fitted quite a few and there good now. Used to be rubbish but much better now. 

if we go ahead with it we plan to view it, so can have a good look at the carcasses

Plan it out properly. I have only refitted one secondhand kitchen. It was a nightmare. Doors all the opened the wrong way. Chunks missing where pipes went through units. Thin 15mm units. Sprained hinges and pulled out screws. 

I spent more time on it than a new one and it cost them quite a bit for the replacement bits of damage etc. And the worktops were beyond saving. they still ended up with a secondhand kitchen. 

It seemed cheap at the time but it cost more than a new one.

13 minutes ago, timmytree said:

Difficult to judge by the fronts, look closely at the carcases, thin chipboard sides and base with hardboard backs can be a nightmare to reuse. 18mm mdf with removable backs are ideal.

Look for water damage in the sink unit and around the plinths.

just asked the question, answer was 18mm laminated carcasses with 6mm backs

I recently picked up a second hand kitchen a friend bought for a buy to let project he was doing  . It started off at £300 , he bid the fella £200, which he rejected , my pal  then walked away saying he’d find another one ..A week later the seller rang him and said he would sell for the £200 , by which time my pal  was going to look at a different one , long story short he got it for free if he could clear it in 24 hours ..two completely full long wheel base van loads ! Old kitchens take up a lot of room and take up time and money getting rid off them ..I’d definitely bid him ..

As has been said;

1. That family kitchen appears to have quite a few ‘miles on its clock’. Indeed, most ‘family’ kitchens end up battered as kids swing on doors, slam drawers and abuse worktops.

2. I could only describe the colour of the kitchen in the photo as ‘suicide brown’. If where it’s going is dimly lit or you’re thinking ‘I could repaint it’ you might as well walk away and just wait for the next one.

3. As per Moose Man, the sales sites are littered with people giving kitchens away just to get them removed; round my way I’ve seen people throw in Neff appliances and granite tops. Thinking about it, if someone has had their money out of a kitchen they have probably mentally written it off and are Focused on the next one and saving on 2 skips and a good few days labour getting the old one removed.

If you have a second hand one take it out yourself and label doors etc 

A good visual is when the units are joined to each other are screws put behind hinges, as I would class  this as taking time if screws all over you may find other problems when dismantling, check rear of sink unit for water damage. 

Although in principal £300 sounds cheap enough, in practice the seller would be lucky to get that. Last year I advertised our old Howdens kitchen which included a tall fridge/freezer and 6 burner range cooker for £350 and some guy rang and said he'd have it only to turn out to be a massive loser, subsequent price drops on Gumtree and ebay made zero difference to takers and I even had it advertised for FREE for several days until the fitters arrived and were kind enough to take them all away prior to fitting the new units.

I have also found advertising other items of furniture to be a total waste of time, exquisite/expensive round pine table with proper hard wood chairs that had lasted 15+ years without showing signs of fatigue, five year old leather settee and armchair that looked new because they'd had next to no use, nothing seems to sell regardless of how ludicrously low the asking price. In the end we gave (for £70) the whole lot to a work colleague of my wife who had just bought a new house and she keeps sending us pics of how lovely her place looks. I have even physically driven to the local car wash to give them a lift to my house in order for them to take away two push bikes for free ! 

We are in the process of changing our kitchen ( 7 years old and we don't like the colour :blush:). All units to go, Ceramic sink, tall fridge freezer, dishwasher (Bosch), induction hob (Neff), extractor and oven. Anyone local wants to take a look you are welcome. I am hoping to get something for the electrical goods but otherwise free to go. New one arrives mid February.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

We are in the process of changing our kitchen ( 7 years old and we don't like the colour ). All units to go, Ceramic sink, tall fridge freezer, dishwasher (Bosch), induction hob (Neff), extractor and oven. Anyone local wants to take a look you are welcome. I am hoping to get something for the electrical goods but otherwise free to go. New one arrives mid February.

3 hours from me unfortunately otherwise i would have been definitely interested.🙁