Cider

red_stag88

Red

Get yer sel darn ter local kitchen fitter . Get im ter find ye a waste disposal unit . Ge it a reet gud clean . An get yer apples shoved through t' unit ! If ye gets a jam , pure t' juice frum the all ready pulped apples !

all the best yis yp :D

And if anyone can translate what Y.P. is only after writing it would be very helpful, ha ha ha

Farmhouse Cider

There are several types of proper cider apple as opposed to dessert or cookers; using them gives a much superior product; Foxwhelp, Kingston Black, Tom Putt are all good. Ripe, clean Autumn fruit is what you should look for. If you can find a supply of perry pears, they give a delicious drink and yield something like double the amount of juice of apples.

To make cider in realistic quantities you need a proper fruit press and what us forest trolls call a “scratter”, a gadget for crushing fruit before pressing. There is a big home wine making tradition amongst the Italian community and they have all the kit, so have a good sniff round amongst them.

If you (or any others here) live in Gloucester, Hereford, Worcester or Shropshire I have a power driven scratter and a press mounted on a small trailer that you can loan. I’ll bring to your place and help with the process. There is no fee for using it, but I do ask that you make a £15 donation to Save The Children. If I drive more than 50 miles I’ll probably ask for the price of a couple of gallons of diesel.

Equipment

1 A number of 5 gallon vessels that you can fit up with an air lock

2 A ruck of 2 litre-ish PET soft drinks bottles complete with tops.

3 Some plastic tubing about ¼” bore, and a hydrometer

4 An assistant, preferably someone very strong, but simple minded enough not to mind schlepping great bags of apples around.

Ingredients

1 A couple of treefuls of ripe cider apples in goodish condition; a few soggy bits are OK, but basically you need sound fruit.

2 Some water

3 Yeast, preferably Champagne or Tokay type, and yeast nutrient.

Method

As the apple juice comes off the press drink a few glasses, it really is delicious, and has medicinal properties. My Mother says that after being repeatedly bombed by Hitler in the last war she never again suffered from constipation. Fresh apple juice is in the same league a Luftwaffe H.E. dropping on the front doorstep…a deeply moving experience.

The apple residue you can scatter in the woods; you’ll get good marks off the ‘keeper because pheasants love it.

Adjust the juice density to about 1065 SG with water. This will give around 6-7 % alcohol in the finished product which is plenty enough. Cider needs to be strong but not to the point where it brings on something resembling Alzheimers.

Ferment in the 5 gall vessels in a warm place until the density drops to about 1010. Siphon off into the PET bottles, cap, and leave alone for a couple of months minimum; a year is better. The result will be a strong cider, just off crystal clarity, with a slight sparkle.

After drinking a few pints with your chums, you will notice how sweetly the birds are singing, and what a pleasant man that miserable plonker who lives down the lane really is.

"Forgive me Father for I..."

..... I have sinned.

I got ****** and i got pinned

And god can't help the state i'm in

Down on rain street

There's a Tesco on the sacred ground

Where I pulled her knickers down

While Judas took his measly price

And St Anthony gazed in awe at Christ

Down on Rain Street

I gave my love a goodnight kiss

I tried to take a late night ****