Westmorland Wildfowlers

Sean Richo

• 3 weeks later...

It’s a bit of an unfair system really mate. If you live in the local area in the county of Westmorland you pay £130 a year membership and if you live outside the area it’s £260! You will see on the website they have inland syndicates to, you have to apply and pay extra again for these. The 17 miles of foreshore they advertise is rubbish, and some of it there is nothing there and the best marsh has silly rules on it. No evening flights in September. That’s where the few geese that are actual about tend to be. It’s the land owners rule who also happens to be a member of wwa and shoots the geese with his mates on the fields behind the sea wall. I could go on and on mate but the short of it is there is very very little in the way of wildfowl there. You will end up very frustrated and most the time be very lucky if you see a single duck let alone get chance to shoot at one 

33 minutes ago, Fiddich said:

It’s a bit of an unfair system really mate. If you live in the local area in the county of Westmorland you pay £130 a year membership and if you live outside the area it’s £260! You will see on the website they have inland syndicates to, you have to apply and pay extra again for these. The 17 miles of foreshore they advertise is rubbish, and some of it there is nothing there and the best marsh has silly rules on it. No evening flights in September. That’s where the few geese that are actual about tend to be. It’s the land owners rule who also happens to be a member of wwa and shoots the geese with his mates on the fields behind the sea wall. I could go on and on mate but the short of it is there is very very little in the way of wildfowl there. You will end up very frustrated and most the time be very lucky if you see a single duck let alone get chance to shoot at one 

I looked into joining too and everybody i spoke to who had been in the club told me not to bother as it's a waste of time

I have shot on a few and still shoot with one nw wildfowling club and I have never known anything like wwa. It’s more river shooting as there isn’t much of what I would call marsh and it’s just full of egrets and gulls haha. Very few geese and if a couple do turn up your shoulder to shoulder on there and they will be shot off within a day or two 

Look on the BASC website and see if you can have a try under the wildfowling scheme. Might be better to see if you fit in first.

David.

PS. I don't know where "northwest" on your location is precisely but we might have a vacancy next season on the Rhyl and Conwy.

David.

Edited by Kalahari
Forgot a bit.