28 bore v 20 bore

snow white

1 hour ago, snow white said:

Lots of blokes with 12bore say to me that 20 is to small cant put enough shot in the air i ask them what are you using 28 gram 6 is the answer i say i am using 28gram 6.

The reploy is yes but its not the same as a 12 then i point out 28 gram in 28 gram never mind what gun you are using i just shake my head and walk of thick or what

Is there much difference in the felt recoil of 28gm verses 25gm through a 20? I use a 12 at the moment with 30gm of 6 and will be treating myself to a 20 for my birthday in the summer. I use hull hp at the moment which I find really smooth shooting through my 12. I’d like to use their 25gm load through the 20next year, I’m concerned that putting 28gm through a lighter 20 would increase the felt recoil somewhat. 

Edited by shalfordninja33

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are going to use 25gram in 20 you will say to yourself why have i been using 12bore there is very little kick in 20.

I use 28 gram in my 20 but i am 19 stone plus.

Dont be put of about people saying its a ladys gun my best mate is all ways going on at me about it but when it comes down to it he as to stand back when the shooting starts he hates it if he is back gunning me

Edited by snow white

2 hours ago, snow white said:

If you are going to use 25gram in 20 you will say to yourself why have i been using 12bore there is very little kick in 20.

I use 28 gram in my 20 but i am 19 stone plus.

Dont be put of about people saying its a ladys gun my best mate is all ways going on at me about it but when it comes down to it he as to stand back when the shooting starts he hates it if he is back gunning me

Thank you,

Many the guys I shoot with that use 20's use RC JK6 to great effect. I'll try those as they seem to be pretty popular, I've used Hull Cartridges for as long a I can remember and I'd like to stick with their 25gm high pheasant. Although I'll try something in 28gm for comparison.

2 hours ago, shalfordninja33 said:

Is there much difference in the felt recoil of 28gm verses 25gm through a 20? I use a 12 at the moment with 30gm of 6 and will be treating myself to a 20 for my birthday in the summer. I use hull hp at the moment which I find really smooth shooting through my 12. I’d like to use their 25gm load through the 20next year, I’m concerned that putting 28gm through a lighter 20 would increase the felt recoil somewhat. 

This conundrum has kept magazines in circulatiopn for decades - and latterly, internet forums likewise - when in reality the answer is perfectly straightforward. Unfortunately it's also a tad long winded and as I'm somewhat knadgered at the moment - and to everyones' relief no doubt - I'll give it a miss. Will just simply say that -  as you're no doubt aware -  pattern fails before penetration so if you figure 28 might be OTT and you fancy the 25 to avoid it and if it proves necessary, try 6&1/2 shot.

47 minutes ago, snow white said:

Well i have ordered another lincoln premier deluxe in 28bore will have it wednesday am out on thursday so will let you all now how i get on with and got a slab of gamebore 25 gram in 6 on the way.

Lets hope i am not disapointed in my new toy

Have a good one.  Hope it keeps dry for you.

4 hours ago, snow white said:

Thanks walker the way weather is up here dont think that will happen this week if its not been blowing your head of its been pxxxxsing down and forcast not looking to cleaver for next week😕

Oh great  !  thanks for the weather update. I am down your way all next week (have to let the heat die down on here  😉)  I was hoping to do some deer stalking, I just need to find somewhere that will allow me to use my Daystate .177  !      🤔

Just now, bornfree said:

Apart from someone with limited strength or a disability I cannot see why anyone would choose a 20 or 28 gauge. They are too light so difficult to be smooth with and have a higher recoil than a 12 gauge if shooting the same loads. 

I personally cant see why anybody would choose a 12b over a 20b  .

what's the advantage other than cart price .? 

See how it sounds .? 

12b is heavier , noiser and uncouth. 

Why would you ? 

When will the high bird shooters start using ten bores and eight bores to bring down them stratospheric birds? 

I like the idea of the first day of the season on some syndicates being a .410 oy day due to birds being low and not fully upto the standards expected. 

If people are happy and enjoying themselves crack on with whatever bore you like.

15 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I personally cant see why anybody would choose a 12b over a 20b  .

what's the advantage other than cart price .? 

See how it sounds .? 

12b is heavier , noiser and uncouth. 

Why would you ? 

The advantage is cart price . More choice of guns.A heavier more controllable gun. What's the advantage of a 20?

20b is lighter and more controllable than a 12b. Carts are lighter and easier to carry .they recoil less and arent as loud. The price of quality cartridges is the same for 12b and 20b .

If you actually look  and compare .

Choice of guns is rather irrelevant as once you have bought your gun then it doesnt matter how many others are for sale does it .? 

Seriously  who wants loud , heavy and painful  over .quieter lighter and easier to shoot. 

When they both kill the same. ? 

Edited by Ultrastu

9 hours ago, bornfree said:

The advantage is cart price . More choice of guns.A heavier more controllable gun. What's the advantage of a 20?

I don't shoot big days but my days shooting still cost me in the region of £375 to £450 on average, plus travel and overnight accomodation, please explain to me why a couple of boxes on top of this should worry me and anyway I load my own which halves the price of shells anyway. 

Why would I need more choice of guns when the little Yilditz I shoot fits me well, shoots well and does the job I ask of it. I have been shooting shotguns for 65yrs and do not and never have found the actual weight of the gun helps in any way ....balance yes amd that is why I chose 30 inch barrels for my 410, the gun felt better balanced than the 28s I originally had.  It is like an extension of my body, I don't have to think about it, just look at the bird make my judgement and squeeeeze the trigger.

The plus side is I can carry a full days supply of shells in my pocket and not know they are there.

Edited by Walker570

The cart prices for all qauality game carts are the same in any bore your just getting less in them. All are around £9 or £10 per box

12 bore 32-36g 5 or 6

16bore 28-30g 5-6

20 bore 24-28g 5 or 6

28 bore 21- 25g 5-6 -7

.410 bore 11-19g 5-6-7

Above is premium he carts all around same price, I know they are available in other sizes.

Edited by figgy