hanging geese

islandgun

I go back to the period just after the 2nd World War and was brought up on a mixed farm. My grandfather fattened turkeys, geese and capons every year for the Christmas market. Many would be pre ordered by customers on our milk round.  I remember the three weeks prior to Christmas the two large garages we had would have birds hanging all round the walls for two to three weeks and if required oven ready there would be a manic operation three days before Christmas Eve to get them all dressed and labeled for each customer with innards(gizzard, heart and neck) bagged inside .  We used to scald the scales on the legs which then enabled the outer skin to be removed leaving them nice and clean.

Then my mother would do a special run in the milk van (in those days milk was delivered loose and measured into jugs on doorsteps) and deliver the birds on Christmas Eve.  I don't remember losing a customer.

12 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Thanks for your replies gents. It tends to be comparatively warm here in the western Isles, I shall try dressing one and putting it in the fridge for a couple of weeks..

As already said the weather would be the decider for how long you hang them for and how warm / cold is the out building where you are hanging them .

At one time they used to say hanging a Pheasant for a week in October , two weeks in November and as long as you want from December onward's , tomorrow is the first of December and at the currant temperature a week would be as long as I would want to hang one , with geese you have a lot of down on the body that don't allow it to cool down that quick , so I would say sooner while its mild rather than later .

Today islandgun , down here in the flatlands it was 12 degrees  😎

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

As already said the weather would be the decider for how long you hang them for and how warm / cold is the out building where you are hanging them .

At one time they used to say hanging a Pheasant for a week in October , two weeks in November and as long as you want from December onward's , tomorrow is the first of December and at the currant temperature a week would be as long as I would want to hang one , with geese you have a lot of down on the body that don't allow it to cool down that quick , so I would say sooner while its mild rather than later .

Today islandgun , down here in the flatlands it was 12 degrees  😎

Have you not had any frosts MM, when i was a lad November the 5th would have signalled the start of proper sea fishing, whiting and cod, with Pigeon hitting the clover

38 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Have you not had any frosts MM, when i was a lad November the 5th would have signalled the start of proper sea fishing, whiting and cod, with Pigeon hitting the clover

Not a proper one yet, will come much later now the seasons have dropped back so much.

7 hours ago, islandgun said:

Nothing really to write home about , had one or two mornings when I had to use the de icer on the windscreen but certainly no sign of thin ice on the dykes .

Today we were game shooting on the Norfolk / Suffolk border and it was a mild mainly dry morning but the afternoon turned out dull with light rain and got dark very quick so we only done one drive after dinner and called it a day .

Just seen the weather forecast , tonight the temp shouldn't drop below 10 degrees and up to 13 tomorrow , not bad for the time of year.