Bricks and Mortar Discount used shotgun

TK421

This may sound a daft question, but here goes anyway. Is it even worth asking for discount on used shotguns in a bricks and mortar establishment, or should you budget full price when looking? Have read mixed reviews on this with some stating they usually don’t budge on price. Not sure what the etiquette is or if there even is any? Thinking of premier and Malmo in particular?  Anyone had any experience of this and if they got a great deal for asking? Cheers in advance

19 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Can't hurt to try, ask them and see what they might knock off.

To be fair, when buying anything used I would always ask the question if the price is fixed, wanted to make sure it was still the case buying a used sg. Read a thread whereby the owner wasn’t to happy about discounting his stock as he had bills to pay? Thanks for your reply’s guys

Just now, winnie&bezza said:

Most likely they price higher to allow for bartering. I bought second hand gun from a well known Kent shop which was up for £1025. I said what is your best price and they can back with £895.

So that’s around 10% or so which is pretty good. I see a huge variance on the same guns advertised. I know age and condition has a major factor on this but still. Thanks for your reply

In my local rfd. 

There was a new 28b i was interested in .but at £825  i felt it was over priced .(and it had been in stock for 6 months )

So i offered them either reduce it by 100 quid or give me a slab a 28b carts to go with it. 

The slab being the cheaper discount for them .Neither  were accepted  them citing they cant give carts away for free .

Ok i walked away .took my money else where and bought a 20b and a full slab for £525. 

3 weeks later the 28b is now on sale for £150 less .and its still not sold .

Serves them right i  feel .

Edited by Ultrastu

6 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

In my local rfd. 

There was a new 28b i was interested in .but at £825  i felt it was over priced .(and it had been in stock for 6 months )

So i offered them either reduce it by 100 quid or give me a slab a 28b carts to go with it. 

The slab being the cheaper discount for them .Neither  were accepted  them citing they cant give carts away for free .

Ok i walked away .took my money else where and bought a 20b and a full slab for £525. 

3 weeks later the 28b is now on sale for £150 less .and its still not sold .

Serves them right i  feel .

This is the exact reason why I asked and what winds me up the most, Id simply rather not ask and go elsewhere. We have a local RFD who is a bit odd to say the least. Get him on a good day he’ll chat away, have some banter and have a deal. Other days he’s just a complete ‘See you next Tuesday’

Also had the same with a shop in Manchester...

the way I see it as long as you have margin, or even if it just wipes its face a sale is a sale, especially if it’s been possibly sat on a shelf for a while. I see guns on GT sat for months unsold and the price stays the same, yet the reasonably priced ones sell quick. Which makes total sense. Cheers for the reply 

Edited by TK421

Was at an RFD recently with a friend. He was looking for a project gun to fix up and saw an old O/U Beretta. Now this thing looked in a very genuine sense like it had been run over by a truck- several times at that. The wood was gnarly, most of the bluing had rusted off etc. If you imagine that it had been planted underground at some point in its life and then stored in a barn, you'd get the picture. It was a complete dog of a gun which though mechanically alright needed to be completely re-blued and the stock stripped, sanded and re-finished. The owner wanted £300 for it and would not budge. Even a call back a week later and wouldn't take a penny off the price. I can absolutely guarantee that it's still sitting there. We also received the wisdom that you cannot purchase a used side by side for under £250!? There were some similarly manky baikal sbs' in the corner so if they weren't under £250.... 

Fortunately bosher sorted us out with a Winchester supergrade for much less money. Having been reblued/refinished etc is an absolute stunner. 

1 hour ago, Swinton said:

You can ask for discount.you only get one answer  yes or no 

But if  you don’t ask you will not now

Of course I understand that, kinda goes without saying, hence not saying it. The question relates more to buyers experiences and if they had come across more ‘no’s’ than yes’s’ or vice versa , other buying related experiences, good or bad with various declares, sellers regarding discounts etc..

i guess we could also open this up to what the market is like at this present time? Is there a better time of year to buy than others? Has the market slowed or improved over the years? 

Thanks for your reply’s guys 

Edited by TK421

I don't think I have ever paid full 'asking price'.  A have always asked for a best price ...... and the vendor has always done a bit, sometimes more.  No one has ever been upset that I asked either.  I would have to be very keen to pay the full asking price, but how hard you try depends on both how much you want the gun, how many other 'alternatives' you are looking at, and how competitive you think the asking price is (judged against other similar items, condition, wood, etc.)

9 hours ago, TK421 said:

This may sound a daft question, but here goes anyway. Is it even worth asking for discount on used shotguns in a bricks and mortar establishment, or should you budget full price when looking? Have read mixed reviews on this with some stating they usually don’t budge on price. Not sure what the etiquette is or if there even is any? Thinking of premier and Malmo in particular?  Anyone had any experience of this and if they got a great deal for asking? Cheers in advance

Most of the time I expect to be asked for discount whether new or used guns.

I'm always honest with people whether I'm buying or selling and explain how much "profit" I would be making and then how much my overheads are. It doesn't leave a lot.

Margins on new guns are pathetic and there isn't usually a lot that can be done if anything.

Used guns often have a better margin and as mentioned the easier the gun is to sell the less you are likely to get off it.

In my case any Beretta 68 series sells quickly and easily so when I put a price on a used one it's pretty much fixed. Maybe £50 off.

Other things don't sell so easily and if it's been around for a while I'm likely to consider sensible offers. I'd say it's the same for all dealers. Most of the time the ticket price leaves a little bit of room for haggling.

Edd

4 minutes ago, muncher said:

I always ask, I do my research on the web,it nearly always pays off. My local rfd now say when I ask about a gun ,to you it will be! I ask everywhere even superstores like currys,they aren't so willing these days but sometimes you get free insurance etc.

Tinterweb is the best and worst thing for retail.

I usually get people who want to sell me their guns quoting guntrader prices.

"They sell for £Xxx on guntrader"

And it's always the most expensive one on there (or other websites)

Yet people who are buying have always found the cheapest deal in the world

"I want that gun but you are asking £1000 and I can get one for a tenner on guntrader..."

The problem is that I'm the same and love a bit of haggling and getting a deal!

Mrs Edd doesn't enjoy shopping with me!

Edd

11 hours ago, eddoakley said:

Most of the time I expect to be asked for discount whether new or used guns.

I'm always honest with people whether I'm buying or selling and explain how much "profit" I would be making and then how much my overheads are. It doesn't leave a lot.

Margins on new guns are pathetic and there isn't usually a lot that can be done if anything.

Used guns often have a better margin and as mentioned the easier the gun is to sell the less you are likely to get off it.

In my case any Beretta 68 series sells quickly and easily so when I put a price on a used one it's pretty much fixed. Maybe £50 off.

Other things don't sell so easily and if it's been around for a while I'm likely to consider sensible offers. I'd say it's the same for all dealers. Most of the time the ticket price leaves a little bit of room for haggling.

Edd

Tinterweb is the best and worst thing for retail.

I usually get people who want to sell me their guns quoting guntrader prices.

"They sell for £Xxx on guntrader"

And it's always the most expensive one on there (or other websites)

Yet people who are buying have always found the cheapest deal in the world

"I want that gun but you are asking £1000 and I can get one for a tenner on guntrader..."

The problem is that I'm the same and love a bit of haggling and getting a deal!

Mrs Edd doesn't enjoy shopping with me!

Edd

This is so very true, human nature I guess, buy low sell high, plus we all want our money to go as far as we can. I’m the same when I buy cars, some dealerships have huge margins across the bonnet, but won’t budge on price, hence private sales is normally where I end up.

A driving factor for me will be resell value if I don’t gel or get on with the gun and need to resell,  so this I would say is a important aspect of the purchase.

Hi TK421,

I have recently bought an MK38 G5 from Mid Wales SG's gunshop.

That may be worth a trip for you depending on what you are after.

The gun was brand new, was ticket up several hundred £ cheaper than Premier Guns for a like for like model.

I bought the gun with no px, asked for a discount and was given a £100 off the ticket price.

Came away very pleased and the purchasing experience was very good and no hard sell.

Rich

Very nice gun and deal by the sounds of it, not too far away, did you get to shoot one before hand at the ground, would be good to find somewhere I can have a play with a few befor committing to the purchase. thanks for the reply. 

Edited by TK421

I've shopped with a number of different rfds in the last 18 months or so and to be honest Ive now found one and stuck with him, he's prices are competitive anyway but he's never done me wrong over a deal. He chucked a 100 eley firsts in when we brought my missus first gun, which OK wouldn't have broke the bank for him nor us if we had brought them but I thought was a nice gesture. 

Like any sort of small business they must know they need to look after you or you'll shop elsewhere. 

Another dealer not so far away has caused me no end of grief in the last couple months over a gun I'd returned under warrenty. The most honest way I can put it is that's is just not a shop for people like me, if your not spending big money they're not interested. 

I originally went to PG and wanted to shoot a demo G1 with 32'' barrels because I was moving from a Browning 525 G1 Adjustable with 30'' barrels.

I went on spec and they had lent the Demo version to a game shot for several weeks so were unable to help me.

They took my details but never got back to me. 

In the mean time I had the opportunity to shoot a few clays  with a 32'' G5 MK38 that belonged to someone I just ended up taking to on their way around another clay ground.

Once I knew the picture was the same and LOP similar / possibly better than the B525  I then just started looking for a new toy.

I then decided to go mad and spend more £ on a ''looker'' and was prepared to travel up to Malmo who had the model I wanted at a better price than PG.

Having looked on GT a gun at Mid Wales came up which was easier to get too and cheaper but was a 2017 model but still new.

I had to go and have a look, and ended up buying it.

Rich

22 hours ago, winnie&bezza said:

Most likely they price higher to allow for bartering. I bought second hand gun from a well known Kent shop which was up for £1025. I said what is your best price and they can back with £895.

+1. I too have bought guns from both the best known Kent gunshops. There's always some wiggle room. Even when buying my Sako 75 at a distance I managed to get optilok rings and fac to fac included in the price (sometimes it's useful to know how long they've been sitting on it). It helps also if you're a left handed looking for something unusual.. sometimes they're only too keen to get it off the shelf!

T

Thanks for the replies guys, this really helps build a picture and more interestingly your own experiences regarding buying a new/used shotgun. 

My position is I’ve been looking for far too long, got my SGC in 2016, had a few lessons  at mickley with Scott and fauxdegla with Cleggy, I’m by no means any good, but do hit a few. I want to now introduce some constants into the mix, first being my own SG, as with each lesson I shoot something different. I have a healthy budget, so want something that not only fits me well, but looks nice, well engineered, with a strong resell value (no doubt I’ll flip it at some point). Being average build, I’m leaning towards beretta, but again nothing set in stone. I really need to get behind a few guns. 

I've bought three guns from Malmo and got a good deal on all 

I drove to their shop and dealt FtF Asked for a discount offering pound notes and got discount plus asked for some cartridges to try the guns out which they obliged with a couple of boxes each time after we'd negotiated the discount Also bought 5000 cartridges for me and some mates and negociated a deal on them

I do the same with my local dealer If they cannot knock much off then go to the accessorie shelves and see what they will through in

Most ticket prices on guns in an RFD are allowing for trade- ins Always offer cash or cash card as there are charges on credit cards so they can factor that charge in a discount

Remeber that VAT is only charged once on a gun ie a new gun So say you see a gun second hand say 12 month old at £2800 and when new it was £3100 Then the VAT on the new price is £516.66 then the second hand price should be £2583.34 or there abouts But this gives you a reference point to start from Allowing for appreciation or depreciation on the model of gun

The ticket price on anything is the RRP and your within your consumer rights to ask for a discount ( you might get some strange looks but no harm in trying )

Good luck in your search and i peronally can recommend Malmoguns

17 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Thanks for the replies guys, this really helps build a picture and more interestingly your own experiences regarding buying a new/used shotgun. 

My position is I’ve been looking for far too long, got my SGC in 2016, had a few lessons  at mickley with Scott and fauxdegla with Cleggy, I’m by no means any good, but do hit a few. I want to now introduce some constants into the mix, first being my own SG, as with each lesson I shoot something different. I have a healthy budget, so want something that not only fits me well, but looks nice, well engineered, with a strong resell value (no doubt I’ll flip it at some point). Being average build, I’m leaning towards beretta, but again nothing set in stone. I really need to get behind a few guns. 

Blimey, I’m admiring your patience. I had the gun lined up ready for their cert to drop through the door. Don’t think I could have done two years waiting for the right one!!

17 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Blimey, I’m admiring your patience. I had the gun lined up ready for their cert to drop through the door. Don’t think I could have done two years waiting for the right one!!

50 minutes ago, Tford said:

To be fair, I’ve been flat out busy, not really waiting for the right one, more like finding the time, hence me now wanting to push this, get something bought, then start spending more time doing what I enjoy, instead or work work work. Well that’s the idea anyway 😉

1 hour ago, sabel25 said:

I've bought three guns from Malmo and got a good deal on all 

I drove to their shop and dealt FtF Asked for a discount offering pound notes and got discount plus asked for some cartridges to try the guns out which they obliged with a couple of boxes each time after we'd negotiated the discount Also bought 5000 cartridges for me and some mates and negociated a deal on them

I do the same with my local dealer If they cannot knock much off then go to the accessorie shelves and see what they will through in

Most ticket prices on guns in an RFD are allowing for trade- ins Always offer cash or cash card as there are charges on credit cards so they can factor that charge in a discount

Remeber that VAT is only charged once on a gun ie a new gun So say you see a gun second hand say 12 month old at £2800 and when new it was £3100 Then the VAT on the new price is £516.66 then the second hand price should be £2583.34 or there abouts But this gives you a reference point to start from Allowing for appreciation or depreciation on the model of gun

The ticket price on anything is the RRP and your within your consumer rights to ask for a discount ( you might get some strange looks but no harm in trying )

Good luck in your search and i peronally can recommend Malmoguns

I like the VAT point, and it does give a reference point as well. I was literally setting off to Malmo to go have a look at a DT10 and 692 Black last year, cash in hand, was on my way to pick up my old man as well to take him along, when the front suspension spring snapped, car was still under warranty, so off it went on a transporter, and that was the end of that, over a years passed since this happened, so I do need to box this off. Maybe I should start a new thread regarding what to buy 🤦🏻‍♂️😂 thanks again for your reply’s