Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Wingman

Choke constriction on old Spanish gun

    Recommended Posts

    Hi all

    Can anyone confirm my thinking about the chokes on my old Spanish side by side?

    Both barrels are marked at 18.5 which I assign is the bore diameter. The left barrel says CHOKE 18 and the right 18.1. I have always thought the gun has open chokes but I am guessing this equates to cylinder and improved cylinder or Skeet. 

    Can anyone with better knowledge than me confirm my thinking?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Not for one minute saying my knowledge is better, but simple arithmatic suggests 3/8 by 1/2 in theory.

    The metric translated into Imperial gives .728 and then .713 and .709 so 15 and 19 points - ish. That assumes the barrels have not been re-worked.

    Edited by wymberley

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    41 minutes ago, wymberley said:

    Not for one minute saying my knowledge is better, but simple arithmatic suggests 3/8 by 1/2 in theory.

    The metric gives .728 and then .713 and .709 so 15 and 19 points - ish. That assumes the barrels have not been re-worked.

    Surely you mean imperial?

    Wingman, only way to be sure is proper measurement of bore and choke followed by a trip to the pattern plate.

    Alternatively just get on and shoot it as it appears to work okay.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Sounds about perfect to me for game. Every ,25mm tighter than the bore diameter is a 1/4 of choke. So you have one barrel .5mm half choke and the other .4mm just under half choke.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    15 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

    Surely you mean imperial?

    Wingman, only way to be sure is proper measurement of bore and choke followed by a trip to the pattern plate.

    Alternatively just get on and shoot it as it appears to work okay.

    There we go, edited just for you.:good:

    Edited by wymberley

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    If it bothers you being roughly the same and you want more open in one shoot a lighter cart in that barrel and pattern test them.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Spanish guns had the choke sizes originally stamped by the proof house . They did not use the same system as the UK but a between size system so they do nt exactly equate to what we are used to . I will try to find the chart and send it .

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, figgy said:

    If it bothers you being roughly the same and you want more open in one shoot a lighter cart in that barrel and pattern test them.

    You will never shoot 100 yard hand reared chickens with that attitude!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Spanish choke sizes as compared with British .

    Cyl   0.0/0,1 mm             Constriction    ,000 / ,004"

    1/4   0.2/0.3 mm    ****          "               .008 / .012"

    1/2   0.4/0.6 mm    ***            "              .016/ ,024"

    3/4   0,7/0,8 mm    **              "               .028 / ,032"

    Full   0 ,9/1/1 mm   *              *              .036 / 040 /045"

    Not quite exact but within a coupe of Thou  allowing for conversion . Couple of Thou either way makes no difference .

    Edited by Gunman

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, Gunman said:

    Spanish choke sizes as compared with British .

    Cyl   0.0/0,1 mm             Constriction    ,000 / ,004"

    1/4   0.2/0.3 mm    ****          "               .008 / .012"

    1/2   0.4/0.6 mm    ***            "              .016/ ,024"

    3/4   0,7/0,8 mm    **              "               .028 / ,032"

    Full   0 ,9/1/1 mm   *              *              .036 / 040 /045"

    Not quite exact but within a coupe of Thou  allowing for conversion . Couple of Thou either way makes no difference .

    hello, that is appreciated gunman, 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    Sign in to follow this  

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×