Five weeks and Counting

pigeon controller

The forcast was for a wet start to the day and clearing towards the evening, so picking DB up at 08.00 the rain had been steady from 06.00 and we headed out to the Maize field that we have been concentrating on for the past five weeks. It was shot Tuesday and I viewed it Thursday and Friday and it still had a good number of birds down. Bunny_Blaster had given me the heads up that he was not shooting today so we hoped to be the only shooters. As we approached the field there were plenty of crows and pigeons feeding but as we drew up at the gate the whole flock lifted and left the the field. We phoned the Farmer to inform him that we were shooting and had a very sleepy reply as he was in the USA and forgot to turn his phone off.

We flagged the top half of the field off and proceeded to set up at the bottom of the field, twelve fresh birds, two on the magnet ,two flyers and eight on spikes. The first birds in spooked and flaired away, so magnet off moved spiked birds out to about fortyfive yards in a block. Next customer straight to the block of birds and shot. Other birds followed but we had a flightline to our right and we could not pull birds off this line. So we moved the magnet to about six feet infront of the hide and turned it on to give movement and we had approx twenty other birds which we put out as two blocks to the left and right of the front of the hide at approx forty yards and retreated to the hide and waited. the next bird on the fligtline came to us as sweet as a nut. DB decided to go over to the field we shot last week and keep the birds on the move B_B phoned me and I'd had approx thirty birds  and it went very quiet. I could hear the occasional shot from DB. I gave him a ring and he decide to put a scarecrow on the field he was shooting and return to the hide. By midday we had shot approx fifty birds and it had been sporadic. It had been interesting shooting with some birds coming in over our head with the wind. We had started shooting at approx 10.00 and finished at 15.45. The total tally for the day was One hundred and twentysix pigeon and four crows. We knew of the totals for four shooters of this field  including ourselved to be approx 658 birds plus two other shooters totals not known which over a perid of five weekends is incredible. It will be difficult to drive past this field next week !!!!

100-3228.jpg

126 Pigeon and 4 Crows

5 minutes ago, Clodhopper said:

That is pretty good going from one field. Even though they obviously want this field you still had to use your field craft and experience to make the bag.

Yes , I would think that all the birds on that field have seen a decoy set and been shot at. It still amazes me that they are still active on the field. But I'm not one to complain.