Sign in to follow this  
la bala

gizzmo

Need a bit of help identifying a part on a 200tdi lr engine. What is the part arrowed called and what is its function please.

Capture turbo 1.PNG

That is a "turbo actuator"...it is connected to the compression side of the turbo and also connected to the boost actuator which is situated on the Boshe injector pump......the turbo actuator controls the waste gate.....

check the waste gate is not stuck and also check the actuator works.....(pressurise it and see if it holds its position)...............

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

That is a "turbo actuator"...it is connected to the compression side of the turbo and also connected to the boost actuator which is situated on the Boshe injector pump......the turbo actuator controls the waste gate.....

check the waste gate is not stuck and also check the actuator works.....(pressurise it and see if it holds its position)...............

Should I see this arm working visually ?  what would happen if it didnt work ie seized ?

6 minutes ago, la bala said:

Should I see this arm working visually ?  what would happen if it didnt work ie seized ?

you wont see it working ....it will only move when the engine is under load and getting towards "lug" condition.............disconnect arm from waste gate....and it should move freely with light pressure....if it dosnt ...it is carboned up ....tap it lightly with a small tack hammer and keep wiggling it....and after a few minites it will be free........

to check turbo 

1. disconnect air pipe
    2. stick your finger up the delivery port housing and check for oil
    3. start engine and hold white hanky or paper under port 
    4. rev engine and blip throttle
    5. paper should be clean
    6. if it has oil on it.....2 reasons
    7. ONE...................turbo seals stuffed
    8. TWO...................boost diaphram is split (on pump)
    9. both are easy fixes

£20....will buy you a rebuild kit

or send your turbo to "Turbo-solutions"....Google it.............they do exchange units very cheap...i have used them for parts and rebuilds before

........................................update me as and when

34 minutes ago, BaconBoy said:

I wasn't far off ditchy...not a bad attempt from me

what do you mean "not far off".........you are spot on....dont hide your light under a bushel ole partner..:good:

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

you wont see it working ....it will only move when the engine is under load and getting towards "lug" condition.............disconnect arm from waste gate....and it should move freely with light pressure....if it dosnt ...it is carboned up ....tap it lightly with a small tack hammer and keep wiggling it....and after a few minites it will be free........

to check turbo 

1. disconnect air pipe
    2. stick your finger up the delivery port housing and check for oil
    3. start engine and hold white hanky or paper under port 
    4. rev engine and blip throttle
    5. paper should be clean
    6. if it has oil on it.....2 reasons
    7. ONE...................turbo seals stuffed
    8. TWO...................boost diaphram is split (on pump)
    9. both are easy fixes

£20....will buy you a rebuild kit

or send your turbo to "Turbo-solutions"....Google it.............they do exchange units very cheap...i have used them for parts and rebuilds before

........................................update me as and when

Who needs google when we have ditchman, thanks for the info Simon, i cant remember the last time i stuck my finger up a delivery port housing. :lol:

Edited by la bala

3 minutes ago, ditchman said:

all this information with loads of pics is on my turbo-desiel rebuild thread..............dont ask me what page 

I had forgot you had done that one, I will have a look, thanks ditchman.