.17 HMR

webber

.17 HMR

Have just read an article on .17 HMR with great interest. I already have a SAKO .22, and am very pleased with it and its results.

I have just contacted GMK to enquire if SAKO intend to offer a rifle in this calibre.

I am saddened to learn that at the moment they dont, and neither do Tika.

I have been informed that SAKO are to produce a rifle next year with interchangeable barrels, .22LR, .22Mag, and .17HMR. GMK will probably order the rifles with just the .17HMR barrel, probably due to the licensing problems associated with multi barrel rifles in the UK; not an imposibility, but agro guaranteed.

Have you got a .17 HMR, what do you think of the round and its ability and what rifle did you choose, and why?

Regards

webber

Dead Eye,

You say..long range.....what does that mean to you ??

Webber,

What will the new gun be for and at what ranges ??

I ask because if I was going to move up from a 22lr, for a foxing rifle , I would go up to the 223. I am told, and I could be wrong, the 17hmr is only good for foxes up to 150 yds max. A 223 will kill them up to 300 yds with the right load, and right man at the back of the gun. :P

Sniper

I would only consider .22 for fox at quite close range, say 70 yards or so.

The article that I have read claims almost flat trajectory for the .17HMR, and a range of 200 yards. Ideal for those bunnies who always manage to hop it just as you get close enough to ensure a good shot. The bullet aparently fragments easily, which I would not have thought much use for a fox at any range?

webber

Sniper, Sorry, I'm talking bunnies, crows, pigeons etc. For foxs i guess a centre fire is king... .223 .243 etc

I was meaning that the long range, for a rim-fire, and lack of ricochets sounded good to me :P

With a .22lr and the Kentish flint, you really take your sight in your hands when you pull the trigger. :P

Webber,

Before I go any further I don't own a 17hmr so I'm no expert. But I have got plenty of experience shooting and handloading a 223.

If you are thinking of this 17hmr for rabbits only ( not charlies ) then I would suggest a 150 yard limit would be the maximum for it. This is because of the lack of terminal energy at that range and also the expected accuracy of this round at that range. As far as I am aware the 17hmr cannot be handloaded for and you have to buy factory ammunition, which we all know is not as good a handloaded ammunition. I understand the 17hmr uses a Hornady v max bullet which is quite deadly and explosive if it has the power behind it.

What kind of accuracy did the article make claims to ??

Any idea of its velocity at various ranges ? ( this will affect the penetrating and explosive power of the v max bullet )

The claims to flat trajectory may be over exaggerated. My 223 whizing along at 3550 fps muzzle velocity is zeroed for an inch high at 100 yds and is on for 200 yards. But then the drop starts dramatically.

Have you any technical data as regards bullet weight, Ballistic coefficent, velocities ?? If so I could do you a projected data on the drop, energy etc.

Sniper

The info that I am quoting is in this weeks Shooting Times

.17HMR

17 grain bullet @ 2,550 ft/second, astonishingly flat trajectory, great accuracy, but inevitable limitations to down range energy. Bullet fragmenting effective out to beyond 150 Yds. Crows and rabbits out to 150 Yds. Bullet has total inability to ricochet.

I think that I will probably wait untill SAKO produce their rifle, and then make up my mind.

Hope that the above is of some help and interest, the article is worth reading.

webber

Webber,

One of the good things to come out of this topic is that I did a search for the 17hmr and found you can access the Shooting Times site. So I've seen what you've seen.........but for free :P:P

I think the article describes, well , what this caliber is capable of doing.

You quoted an almost flat trajectory in one of your replies. However the article does show a zero of the rifle/scope about 135 yards. At 100 yards there is a rise of 2" and at 185 yards there is a drop of 4". I don't call that almost flat.

But the most critical factor in using this caliber for hunting has to be the wind. Because of its small size it is obviously greatly affected by the wind. With an 8mph wind ( which is not unheard of in our country !) the author of the article got a 12 1/2 " group, which to me is just not good enough when shooting vermin at that range. The terminal velocity is there if you are shooting rabbits but I think the wind factor will let this cartridge down.

It all comes down to what you want this caliber for. If it is purely for rabbits at up to 150 yards on a still, summers afternoon what could be better ?

Sniper

Hm, I have just signed a direct debit for Sporting Shooter, and was wondering as to where an economy could come from. Ill have a look at ST on the web and see if its worth canceling the subs.

The figure that I quoted were straight out of the article, I obviously need to study the detail more thoroughly.

Regards

webber

I have had a CZ American in the .17 HMR for around 3 weeks now and enjoy it a lot :P . I've taken down 2 foxes at around 80 yards no problem at all as long as you go for the right place, which is front on just above the middle of the front legs, right into the engine room! They both fell flat to the floor instant kill. I wouldnt however exceed this range by much say 100 yds max and only front on. This little bullet really does break up well. I use the .222 for longer range stuff. The main use of my .17 is for the conies and crows though it does give a good bang without a moderator. Toying with getting it screw cut and proofed, but not sure how effective it will be? Anyone have experience please?

I certainly would recommend the .17 to the collection and I do like the CZ range.

MBL

Thanks for that, very interesting.

I am going to wait untill next year when SAKO bring out their version. I expect that it will be quite expensive, but I am assured that there are no pockets in shrouds. Although my sister-in-law has offered to make an exception in my case.

webber :D