"im mainly......" 3 some..!!

ditchman

im facinated by this penknife making...usually i deciede to make something and i make it ...then i say to myself...."yup jobs a gooden"....then i look for something different....but this knife making is very different ...as every single one is totally unique..........

the small one is a No 7...and will be made for the daughter of the PW'er who sent me the antler points.....the one with a tight curve is for the father and the "straighter one will be for another PW'er.......i was rather hesitant in doing the one with a tight curve ...but once i had cleaned and cut it and dissasembled the knives and dry married them together ...i picked up the one with a tight curve and knew straighaway that it would work very well at that angle...very comfortable and safe.........it will polish well as the other ones will and have a finish of antique ivory and all of them will have a thick brass pommel to them............

i wont post all the "in's and outs of a dogs backside" about them ...only to update with the odd pic now and then as i progress........................

ditch

3 some 001tn_.JPG

3 some 002tn_.JPG

3 some 003tn_.JPG

3 some 004tn_.JPG

3 some 005tn_.JPG

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Nice, very nice. Like 'em all but the curved one is just ....different.  Tricky to make a sheath for but........ different..

Have you blued that bottom blade or is it just the light angle ?

He's doubting your ability .....   two ??????   PAH!!!!

it is the trick of the light............if i blued it ....it would de-temper it to a softer steel...........

i made some small BA spanners for the sewing machine which i gave to my daughter...................now...i blued them and they look the dogs whatsits..

15 minutes ago, hambone said:

simple yes or no would have done 😂

alright ...bloody yes.............................have you looked at the other threads ?

without a locking collar they wouldnt look right and would not be safe to use..............

15 minutes ago, ditchman said:

alright ...bloody yes.............................have you looked at the other threads ?

without a locking collar they wouldnt look right and would not be safe to use..............

Hadn't looked at the other threads but I have just seen j dogs post and it looks superb :good: 

started work on the bottom of the 3 set out.....got the most difficult bit done first ...nearly a mornings work there...(mind you i have done other things)...tomorrow i will cut the blade slot and drill the rivet hole...and flattern the base so i can cut and measure for the brass pommel.....

this one as with the others sits very nicely in the hand.........

thats all folks

next lot 001tn_.JPG

next lot 002tn_.JPG

next lot 003tn_.JPG

next lot 004tn_.JPG

right ...the next thing on the list was 

1. cutting the blade slot ...(difficult)
  2. routing to depth
  3. flattening off handle
  4. marrying handle to brass stock...(both need to be perfect so you cant see any gaps...last 2 pics)

off to do my shopping now.....and what is tuesday night ???

cutting slot 001tn_.JPG

cutting slot 002tn_.JPG

cutting slot 003tn_.JPG

cutting slot 004tn_.JPG

cutting slot 005tn_.JPG

cutting slot 006tn_.JPG

cutting slot 007tn_.JPG

well nearly there....have polished the handle up with a compound used for hard plastic...and has come out quite well............you can see all the history of the antler point now....

pommel finished.....all that remains now is the reprofiling of the blade point and getting all the grind marks out...that steel is good and hard.....

when i take a pic of the blade...in certain lights it has a natural "bluey" tinge to it..............something i only see on old victorian era steels........

found out the secret of the opinel knife.........picture #3 of the furrell............i will tell you now...that steel ...i dont know what it is but by christ its tough and hard....

dave its nearly done boy ..:good:

nearly there 001tn_.JPG

nearly there 002tn_.JPG

nearly there 003tn_.JPG

nearly there 004tn_.JPG

nearly there 005tn_.JPG

nearly there 006tn_.JPG

nearly there 007tn_.JPG

nearly there 008tn_.JPG

nearly there 009tn_.JPG

nearly there 010tn_.JPG

nearly there 011tn_.JPG