Family of swans shot dead

Ricko

Does look more like it's been shot with a shotgun then finished off with an airgun. I think it's pretty safe to say that it wasn't a licensed shooter that did it. Implication here is that there's potentially an idiot going about with an unlicensed shotgun. More concerning that the airgun aspect.

Must have been shot on dry land for them to retrieve all 7 birds? I see a few news reports saying they were killed with air rifle bullets?? The RSPCA is now calling for a complete ban or tighter regulation of air weapons after receiving 884 calls of air gun attacks on animals across England and Wales in 2017.

1 minute ago, old'un said:

The RSPCA is now calling for a complete ban or tighter regulation of air weapons after receiving 884 calls of air gun attacks on animals across England and Wales in 2017.

The RSPCA would call for a complete ban on breathing if bit thought it would get it positive publicity and more money.

11 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

The RSPCA would call for a complete ban on breathing if bit thought it would get it positive publicity and more money.

Yep true, and this incident is the type of thing that helps them drive their point home.

The RSPCA can say they were shot with air rifles and Joe public will swallow it hook line and sinker.

Edited by old'un

The point is that it's already illegal to shoot swans; banning air rifles or indeed shotguns wont make a difference. 

In the recent past, eastern europeans have been found to have killed swans to eat ( they are just geese after all, especially to anyone not from the UK  ) and not knowing the entire story this could be an example of this. For all we know the birds could have been in plastic bags as a means to carry them home, but the perpetrators were disturbed? Who knows? 

Edited by Scully

14 hours ago, Scully said:

The point is that it's already illegal to shoot swans; banning air rifles or indeed shotguns wont make a difference. 

In the recent past, eastern europeans have been found to have killed swans to eat ( they are just geese after all, especially to anyone not from the UK  ) and not knowing the entire story this could be an example of this. For all we know the birds could have been in plastic bags as a means to carry them home, but the perpetrators were disturbed? Who knows? 

This is similar to my thoughts, I live next to lakes and have witnessed Eastern European types taking Carp by the bin load and several dismembered Swans wings scattered around. When it is reported the answer is along the lines of well there's not a lot we can do. This could be just another "cultural diversity" issue.

Daily Telegraph report today was so badly written. Airguns where responsible and the authorities believe it was anti Royalty because of their association. You could not make it up.  I have written and corrected the Telegraph and told them the report was very badly written by someone with little or no knowledge of the subject. Doubt they will print it but at least someone will read it.

Quotes from the same BBC post!

X-rays showed one of the birds found by the bank of a stream in Stepneyford Lane had been "peppered with pellets"

Two of the bodies were examined by the RSPCA in Hastings, East Sussex, with X-rays revealing numerous pellet or shot in both bodies.

Is it one or two? And how did the others die?

25 minutes ago, 8 shot said:

There doesn't seem to be one broken or chipped bone on the whole body in the 60 odd pellets that you can see. 

Not even on the skull, where the airgun pellet "seemed" to enter???

The RSPCA site where they treat animals etc is very close to me. I wonder if they would let me take a look at them???

14 hours ago, JDog said:

I am unreliably informed that the swans may have been killed as they are seen as a symbol of Christianity.

If that is the case, then i'm sure it will soon be hushed up and forgotten about

15 minutes ago, silver pigeon69 said:

Not even on the skull, where the airgun pellet "seemed" to enter???

The RSPCA site where they treat animals etc is very close to me. I wonder if they would let me take a look at them???

I'm sorry sir, all evidence was burned due to the possibility of the truth getting out, i mean health and safety. Would you like to make a donation sir?

looks like a close range shotgun small shot pattern density compared to what's looks like  22 cheap pellet a broken neck which one killed it and by whom   ?????   are they even the same bird     paper does not refuse ink do we know this to be true      no sportsman / licence holder that I know of would shoot a swan    could the swan have died  of natural causes and be shot by shot and pellet  as  propaganda to gain charitable donations ????????

Edited by Saltings