Supernova Jamming :

throdgrain

Hope someone can help with this. I've recently bought my second Supernova. The first was flawless, never went wrong, and for a while I've cursed myself for selling it. 

My second Supernova jams occasionally, and I cant make out if it's user error of if it's got a problem.
This video shows someone with as far as I can see the same problem that I have experienced. It's at about 1 minute 15 to 1 minute 25.

Not sure the bloke is all there, hitting it against a fence post, but I hope you get the point! I had decided that, as stated in many of the comments , I just wasn't cycling it hard enough, but as a pump action shooter of over 15 years experience I keep doubting that. I even posted on this fellers comments, thanking him in a backhanded way, whereupon he said that it was a defective extractor that caused the problem.

I'm really not sure. If anyone, particularly fellow pump shooters, would care to watch at least the first bit of this video and give their opinions I would be very grateful.

I shoot pumps all the time but didn’t really see anything he did wrong. I’d have maybe racked it a little bit firmer but otherwise it didn’t differ in how he racked it up to the jam. I’d strip, clean and lube it and then see.

i usually clean mine prior to use first time out as they’re normal full of grease from the factory.

Never been a fan of pumps that cover the loading port with the slide handle, as gunman says possibly an interference jam in that area. I would be looking for burrs or similar in a complete takedown. It seems odd for a Benelli to have this sort of fail. I may be wrong but I thought I saw a premature unlocking in the video. Good luck with sorting it please let us know if you find the cause

edit I don’t suppose you could have an ammunition issue?

Edited by impala59

4 hours ago, impala59 said:

Never been a fan of pumps that cover the loading port with the slide handle, as gunman says possibly an interference jam in that area. I would be looking for burrs or similar in a complete takedown. It seems odd for a Benelli to have this sort of fail. I may be wrong but I thought I saw a premature unlocking in the video. Good luck with sorting it please let us know if you find the cause

edit I don’t suppose you could have an ammunition issue?

Hi

I've tried several sorts of ammo, it doesn't seem it make any odds. I rather thought I saw the gun unlock too. When pushed the feller in the video said he had an ejector issue that had been fixed. I'm not 100% on the terminology but as far as I know there are two ejectors, the claw on the end of the bolt, and one in the receiver. I wonder if the claw could be defective? There is a wear mark on it ...

2 hours ago, throdgrain said:

Hi

I've tried several sorts of ammo, it doesn't seem it make any odds. I rather thought I saw the gun unlock too. When pushed the feller in the video said he had an ejector issue that had been fixed. I'm not 100% on the terminology but as far as I know there are two ejectors, the claw on the end of the bolt, and one in the receiver. I wonder if the claw could be defective? There is a wear mark on it ...

I'm not that familiar with Benelli's apart from clearance and show clear drills as RO. You say 2 ejectors but do you mean 1 extractor (hook/claw?) and 1 ejector (at the rear of the port on the side of the receiver/barrel extension) How does the barrel locate and fit into the receiver? Is it rock solid and perfectly in line? I ask because I have had a few instances (Ithaca, Remington and Smith and Wesson*) where incorrect alignment of the barrel to the receiver caused the extractor to hit the side of the extractor cut out in the barrel which in turn caused other problems with cycling/jamming. Dependant on where the wear mark is should give a clue as to whether it is out of alignment, worn or damaged

* these have been low cost auction purchases where the simple expedient of cleaning and putting together properly and carefully has fixed what was probably a problem gun for the previous owner, dumped in an auction to get rid...………...The worst I had was a M30 Savage with a missing trigger plate screw which would also not cycle at all...……..the missing trigger plate screw was jammed against the roof of the receiver by the rising bolt! Didn't even need parts for that one!

Edited by impala59

Sorry yes, I meant 1 extractor and one ejector. The barrel seems to locate fine, however I'll have another look tonight. Thanks for your time mate.

//edit

Looking it it again, the gun "unlocks" several times after the first time without any problems. I suspect that is a false lead :)

Edited by throdgrain