Sunday shooting

royden

Just been reading an old copy of the BASC Handbook of shooting and on page 116 ( The principles of wildfowling ) read that in some areas the shooting of wildfowl on sundays is illegal . Now I always thought that was the case throughout the country so my question is can I shoot wildfowl on a sunday in Staffordshire.?

This is a bit of a can of worms. You can shoot in some counties on a Sunday, but beware the county boundaries are those that were in place when the legislation was passed. (1952 I think) This is one of those times your BASC membership will pay off as they have the definitive answers.

David.

1 hour ago, royden said:

can I shoot wildfowl on a sunday in Staffordshire.?

From BASC website . Perhaps you should join !

Shooting on Sundays and at night

• England and Wales – before the passing of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, orders prohibiting the shooting of wildfowl on Sundays were made under the Protection of Birds Act 1954. These orders have not been rescinded and so in the following counties/part counties the shooting of wildfowl is prohibited on Sundays: Anglesey, Brecknock, Caernarfon, Carmarthen, Cardigan, Cornwall, Denbigh, Devon, Doncaster, Glamorgan, Great Yarmouth County Borough, Isle of Ely, Leeds County Borough, Merioneth, Norfolk, Pembroke, Somerset and North and West Ridings of Yorkshire.
  • There may be local restrictions on shooting at night.
  • Scotland – Wildfowl and waders may not be shot on Sundays and on Christmas Day.
  • Northern Ireland – All wild birds are protected on Sundays, Christmas Day and at night (defined as commencing one hour after sunset on any day and ending one hour before sunrise the next day).
Edited by JJsDad

Thanks Kalahari and yes you are right it isn't as straight forward as I thought . The quotation from the BASC website is exactly what caused my confusion in the first place JJsDad as on the one hand it tells you that the orders prohibiting the shooting of wildfowl on Sundays across England and Wales according to the Protection of birds act 1954 has not been rescinded. Then goes on to state that Sunday shooting is prohibited in the counties stated of which Staffordshire isn't one of them. So It would seem that there isnt a blanket ban across England and Wales but still doesn't answer the question can I shoot duck on Sundays in Staffordshire .After a call today to BASC ( a member for many years ) I await an email that may help and will post the answer when I get it .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Roy

15 hours ago, JJsDad said:

and so in the following counties/part counties the shooting of wildfowl is prohibited on Sundays: Anglesey, Brecknock, Caernarfon, Carmarthen, Cardigan, Cornwall, Denbigh, Devon, Doncaster, Glamorgan, Great Yarmouth County Borough, Isle of Ely, Leeds County Borough, Merioneth, Norfolk, Pembroke, Somerset and North and West Ridings of Yorkshire.

The way I read this, is that with the exception of those counties mentioned above, wildfowl may be shot on a Sunday. There is no blanket ban. I shoot in Kent and regularly go wildfowling on a Sunday as do a number of people who I know in different parts of the county. One of our areas requires approval of Natural England and you could bet your bottom dollar they would be after us in a flash if they thought we were breaking the law. I wasnt having a dig over being a BASC member, you didnt say you were a member, just that you had read an old BASC Handbook.

I too shall be interested in the official response.  Looking at the material quoted,  I cannot see anything stating that the orders prohibiting Sunday shooting were "across England and Wales", ie a blanket restriction. It reads to me that the orders affected only to the counties mentioned. As Staffordshire isn't one of them, it seems that you can shoot ducks on a Sunday in that county, because it was never prohibited in the first place. 

(However,  I am ready to eat my hat!) 

4 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Same here with the Lincs./Norfolk border.

OK in Lincs on a Sunday, but not on the Norfolk side ... again, clearly marked.

Enjoy !!

At one time our boundary between Norfolk and Suffolk was a track that ran across the marsh , on a Sunday we could shoot one side but not the other side , not that we ever saw anyone to tell us what was what .

We also had a pub in Gorleston , near Yarmouth that had half of it in Norfolk and the other half in Suffolk , at the time the closing on a Sunday night was 10.30pm in Suffolk and 11pm in Norfolk , so on paper you could go out of the lounge at half ten and go into the bar and carry on drinking till 11 . as far as I know the brass sign on the side of the pub is still there , although with the price of scrap metal nowadays I very much doubt it :lol:

Sunday and Christmas Day Shooting

England and Wales

No game may be killed or taken in any county on Sunday or Christmas Day. Game for the purposes of this section means pheasant, partridge, red grouse, black grouse and hare.

Orders prohibiting the shooting of wildfowl on Sundays made under sections 2 and 13 of the Protection of Birds Act 1954 still in existence are in the following counties (or parts of counties in existence before the 1974 local authority re-organisation): Anglesey, Brecknock, Caernarvon, Carmarthen, Cardigan, Cornwall, Denbigh, Devon, Doncaster, Glamorgan, Great Yarmouth County Borough, Isle of Ely, Leeds County Borough, Merioneth, Norfolk, Pembroke, Somerset, North and West Ridings of Yorkshire.

Scotland

There are no statutory restrictions on the killing of game on Sunday or Christmas Day but it is not customary to do so. The wildfowl species listed may not be shot on Sunday or Christmas Day                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                This is the official response from BASC this morning and yes gents you are right, if your County isn't on the list it doesn't include you. Thanks to all that replied.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Roy